[Ppnews] Emergency Action Today! Stop the Senate Stealth Amendment on Detainees!

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 9 12:15:41 EST 2005

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=53685613&url_num=1&url=http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp>
[]

Emergency Action Today! Stop the Senate Stealth Amendment on Detainees!

Dear Friends,

As allegations of secret CIA torture facilities around the world dominate
the headlines and the detainees at Guantánamo Bay continue their hunger
strike, the Center for Constitutional Rights has received word that Senator
Graham of South Carolina is planning to introduce an amendment to the
defense appropriations bill that would strip the federal courts of
jurisdiction and prohibit them from even hearing arguments against
indefinite detention not only from Guantánamo detainees, but from anyone
who has the misfortune of finding themselves at any U.S.-run facility
anywhere, even within the United States.  Do not let this happen!
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=53685613&url_num=2&url=http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/ccr/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=1500>STOP
THIS ASSAULT ON THE CONSTITUTION: WRITE YOUR SENATORS NOW BY CLICKING HERE.

PLEASE ALSO CALL YOUR SENATORS RIGHT NOW and urge them to vote against the
Graham amendment. And please circulate this message widely.

The following Senators are particularly important on this vote.

Lincoln Chaffee (R-RI) (202) 224-2921
Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) (202) 224-5344
Susan Collins (R-Maine) (202) 224-2523
Pete Domenici (R-NM) (202) 224-6621
Bill Nelson (D-Fl) (202) 224-5274
Arlen Specter (R-Pa) (202) 224-4254
Mike Dewine (R-Oh) (202) 224-2315
Brownback (R- KS) (202) 224-6521

Senator Graham’s amendment would destroy the historical separation of
powers established in our Constitution by endorsing unfettered Executive
authority and undermining the rule of law fundamental to our Nation’s values.

The Graham amendment would formalize the lawless policies of the Bush
Administration and result in the continued torture of prisoners held in
U.S. custody.

It is no secret that vast abuses have taken and continue to take place at
Guantánamo and other U.S.-run facilities. It is just these abuses that the
historic writ of habeas corpus is designed to prevent.  As the United
States Supreme Court noted, this kind of abuse of power “has been
considered oppressive and lawless” since the Magna Carta.

The Graham Amendment will only serve to reinforce the growing perception
that the United States has become an enemy of human rights. The Graham
Amendment is a last minute sneak attack upon the integrity of our
Constitution and Bill of Rights and will destroy the little amount of good
will we have achieved as a result of the decisions of the Supreme Court and
lower courts.

Please join CCR in urging Senator Graham to drop this ill-advised proposal.
Instead Senator Graham should let the courts complete the judicial inquiry
that the Supreme Court mandated and he proposes to abort.

Sincerely,
Ron Daniels
Executive Director, The Center for Constitutional Rights

To read more about CCR’s work,
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=53685613&url_num=3&url=http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp>click
here.
To donate to CCR,