[Ppnews] U.S. Parole Commission Votes to Release Veronza Bowers

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 24 19:47:40 EDT 2005

Let's not count our chickens, but this just came across from the FOP so
consider it only an FYI

claude

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=47914
U.S. Parole Commission Votes to Release Cop-Killer; F.O.P. Vows to Appeal
to Attorney General

5/24/2005 5:12:00 PM

----------
To: National Desk

Contact: Tim Richardson of the Fraternal Order of Police, 202-547-8189

WASHINGTON, May 24 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Chuck Canterbury, National president
of the Fraternal Order of Police, had only the harshest criticism for the
U.S. Parole Commission, which voted late last week to release convicted
cop-killer Veronza L. Bowers, Jr.

"I was appalled to learn that the Commission approved the release of this
unrepentant murderer," Canterbury said. "Allowing this killer back in the
streets puts the public and police officers at risk. We will exhaust every
legal avenue in an effort to keep Bowers where he belongs--behind bars. To
that end, we intend to ask the U.S. Attorney General to have the National
Appeals Board review the case and correct the decision of the Commission."

Bowers was poaching deer with two other men in August 1973 when he was
confronted by U.S. Park Ranger Ken Patrick. Bowers shot Patrick three times
with his 9mm handgun, killing him. The killer has never expressed any
remorse, nor has he admitted to killing Ranger Patrick. To this day, he
maintains that he was framed by government authorities. Far from being a
model prisoner, he was shot and wounded during an escape attempt, and was
implicated in the murder of two fellow inmates.

"There is no way that a reasonable person can believe that this killer, who
describes himself as a 'political prisoner' in 'fascist America,' has
earned his release," Canterbury said. "The Commission should have denied
his parole based on his conduct as a Federal inmate and the strong
likelihood that he will commit further crimes once he is free. They have
willfully ignored the facts of his case in what is a clear case of
dereliction of duty. If the Commission fails to protect the public from
criminals like Anthony Kelly and Veronza Bowers, then we must act to
protect the public from the U.S. Parole Commission."

Canterbury's remarks referred to Anthony Kelly, an inmate released in 2001
by order of the U.S. Parole Commission five years before the completion of
his sentence. Within nine months of his release, he had assaulted a police
officer, stolen numerous cars and firearms, committed two rapes and left
three people dead-- including a six-year old girl. It was very clear from
his file and the information available to the Commission that he never
should have been paroled in the first place.

"We are going to make our views on this decision very, very clear to the
Attorney General," Canterbury said, noting that the authorization for the
U.S Parole Commission expires at the end of the year. "Ken Patrick left
behind a wife and three children. Their lives were irrevocably changed on
the night of his murder. Bowers was sentenced to life in prison--and life
in prison is what he should serve."

The Fraternal Order of Police is the largest law enforcement labor
organization in the United States, with more than 318,000 members.

<http://www.usnewswire.com/>http://www.usnewswire.com/

-0-

/© 2005 U.S. Newswire 202-347-2770/