[Ppnews] Veronza Bowers Update

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon May 9 08:39:20 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/6/2005 11:42:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mmgarfield at mmgarfield.com writes:

Hi every one,

Well today Friday May 6, 2005 is here and there has been no decision from
the Federal Parole Board.  I have spoken with Veronza's Case manager and
Unit Manager over the last several days and they say they know nothing and
are also waiting to hear from the FPB.

Yesterday, I was all packed and waiting to get the word to come to Coleman
and escort Veronza out of the front door today.  The word never
came.  Fortunately Thelma Sherrod lives only 45 minutes from the prison and
visited Veronza yesterday morning.  She gave him her cell phone number and
he is to call her if he hears any thing today.  She will then go and escort
him out of prison and take him to her house.  If that happens, she will
call me and I will drive the 4 hours up to her place and spend some time
with Veronza.  I have some goodies for him (a wallet, some cash, phone
credit card, etc.).  Also Veronica has requested that we try to take some
pictures and Thelma and I will try to oblige.

Thank goodness for Thelma.  If he gets out, we will then know when he has
to report to his Parole Officer in Maryland.  Veronza claims he has some
one to drive him there.  If not Thelma will see that he gets on a train in
time.  Personally, I do not welcome the idea of his being alone on the
train for a day and a half.

Voni has been involved in helping to coordinate these activities and will
arrange to greet Veronza in Maryland when he arrives there.

Now, hopefully some time momentarily/soon the FPC will either issue a
release date or deny the parole.  Then the decision will have to be whether
or not to go back into court.  This will require figuring out how to raise
additional money.

Knew that every one was wondering what is going on – so this is to update you.

Garf

Maynard M. Garfield

4951 Gulf Shore Blvd. N

Apt. 1801