[Ppnews] Veronza Bowers: Your Letter to the US Parole Commission

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 29 18:04:50 EST 2005

Dear Friends,

The fate of Veronza Bowers, Jr. plea for Mandatory Parole is now in the
hands of the U.S. Parole Commission. All five members of the Commission
will convene in the days to follow to consider his case and make a
decision. Their decision is final, so I cannot emphasize the importance of
this event. We are coming the end of a very long road and are asking for
your help this one last time.

Veronza, his family, friends and supporters have decided to initiate a
letter writing campaign to the U.S. Parole Commission to help counter the
false and distorted image of him presented by the Fraternal Order of
Police, FBI and others. Please join us in writing to the Commission
expressing your support for Veronza's release on Mandatory Parole.

In addressing the Commission, I urged everyone to avoid referring to
Veronza as a political prisoner or attempting to address the fairness of
his original conviction. This will only work against him. Rather, letters
should be framed in a positive light and emphasize his institutional
adjustment, many positive works during the time of his incarceration,
strong support amongst family and friends, solid spiritual foundation as
well as any other issues that will convince the Commission he would be not
a threat, but a benefit to society and a strong candidate to succeed if
released on parole.

Tell the Commissioners who you are. If you have had direct contact with
Veronza, feel free to discuss it. Please go to Veronza's web site at
http://www.veronza.org to familiarize yourself with details of his 31-year
incarceration and to help frame your letter. The best advice I can offer is
to speak in your own voice and to speak from your heart.

Time is off the essence, so please write or, better yet, FAX your letter to
the USPC as soon as possible. It should be addressed to all five
Commissioners as follows:

United State Parole Commission

National Commissioners

Park Place Building

5550 Friendship Blvd. (Suite 420)

Chevy Chase, MD 20815-7286

FAX: (301) 492-5543

To the Attention of:

Mr. Edward F. Reilly, Jr. (Chairman)

Mr. Cranston J. Mitchell

Ms. Deborah A. Spagnoli

Ms. Patricia Cushwa

Mr. Issac Fulwood

Re: Veronza Bowers, Jr. Plea for Mandatory Parole

Please use a letterhead, if possible. If not, be sure to include your
return address. If you do not have FAX capabilities, feel free to e-mail me
your letter and I will print and FAX it on to the Commission. Similarly, if
you have any questions or need help, do not hesitate to contact me via
phone, FAX or e-mail. I'll be on call to facilitate this process. It's OK
to call late if necessary. I would very much like to have a copy of your
letter, so send it to me if you are so inclined.

Thanks again for your continued help and support. This is our last shot.
Hope to have some good news to report soon.

All the best,

Monty

Tel.: 707-459-3402
FAX: 707-459-3434