[Ppnews] Chokwe Lumumba's Defense Fund

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 28 08:38:25 EST 2005

PLEASE SUPPORT BRO. CHOKWE LUMUMBA!!
====================================

Greetings All;

I had a conversation with Soffiyah Elijah and she suggests everyone on
the listservs who receives these e-mails send a donation of $100 to
Chokwe. That wil permit the fine to be paid and Chokwe will have money
left to take care of his expenses.  Soffiyah further suggests that
people  send a monthly donation so that Chokwe is not left without funds
for ongoing expenses.

If everyone can not afford $100, please try to send as much as you
honestly can.

They can fine Chokwe, but they can not FINE his Revolutionary, Warrior
spirit and determination to stomp bigotry to the ground.  Neither can
they STOP ALL OF US  from advocating!!!...in the most vigorous ways that
we can.

I hope press conferences are held so that these folks know that Chokwe
Lumumba has our uncompromising support and that, "This Is How We Do
It.." Money comes and goes, so they can fine until the "Cows come
home"--We will not allow them to step on this brother.

I received an -e-mail from Chokwe today and he indicates he is in dire
need of funds, so please send donations.  It is probably best that where
practical, money orders are sent so that he has easy access to the funds
and to minimize any unintentional returnof checks.

continued resistance,

Florence

Free the Land,
    We have received several requests for
information concerning how
we can help pay Chokwe's fine and contribute to  his legal defense. I'm
sending this contact information for all of you who  want to help.
    For the Legal Defense Fund make checks and  money orders payable
to:
            Chokwe  Lumumba Legal Defense Fund
    If you want to send a donation to Chokwe  personally, make checks
and money orders payable to: Chokwe  Lumumba,.
    Send all donations to:
        Chokwe Lumumba
        P.O. Box 31762
        Jackson, MS  39286

EVERYBODY SEND THIS POST AND OUR EARLIER  POST INFORMING OF THE FINE
AND SUSPENSION TO ALL OF YOUR CONTACTS. WE WANT  TO BLANKET THE NATION AND
LET  EVERYBODY KNOW OF THIS LATEST ACT OF  TERROR.
Iyaluua  Nehanda
========================

Please read the below from Sis. Iyaluua and Bro. Ukali.

We should *all* respond, no matter how small the amount,

to defend this great warrior in our struggle! As stated below,

any attack on an activist lawyer is an attack on all of us!

We gotta step up cuz there is definitely a pattern of harrasment emerging.

=========

The attacks against progressive attorneys continue in this country.

For several years now, a campaign has been underway in Mississippi to

disbar Chokwe Lumumba (lovingly and popularly known as "The People's

Lawyer"). This article trumpets the latest blow delivered in an

attempt to punish and ultimately silence one of the most courageous

voices on the scene today.

If you aren't aware of the work, sacrifices and contributions Chokwe

Lumumba has made on behalf of our people, it's time to learn.

We must support this brother!

Peace and Power,

Ukali

source: The Sun-Herald

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/news/state/11162690.htm

Posted on Thu, Mar. 17, 2005
[]

Miss. high court suspends Lumumba

Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. - The Mississippi Supreme Court on Thursday suspended
Jackson attorney Chokwe Lumumba from practicing law for six months and
until he retakes and passes the ethics portion of the Mississippi Bar
Association exam.

The court also fined Lumumba $1,000.

The Mississippi Bar had sought to punish Lumumba for comments he made to
Circuit Court Judge Marcus D. Gordon in 2001.

During the 2001 incident, Gordon threatened to order Lumumba out of the
courtroom after the attorney attempted to tell the judge how to get along
better with lawyers.

After Lumumba said he was proud to be thrown out, Gordon said that
statement would cost him $300. Lumumba said he would pay for justice,
referring to the fine. Lumumba then said he'd paid other judges to try to
get justice and he'd pay Gordon, too. Gordon said that would cost Lumumba $500.

A 2003 tribunal recommended a public reprimand for Lumumba but the Bar
sought a harsher punishment, court records show.

"We conclude that it is apparent that Lumumba needs a more severe
punishment than a public reprimand," Chief Justice Jim Smith wrote for the
court. "To do less would be inequitable and in our view not prohibit or
persuade Lumumba from engaging in similar conduct towards our trial judge
in the future."

Lumumba has contended he did nothing wrong.

Justice James E. Graves opposed the punishment.