[Ppnews] Animal rights activist sentenced

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 3 11:36:18 EST 2005

Josh Demmitt #12314-081
Federal Prison Camp Sheridan
P.O. Box 6000
Sheridan, OR 97378

***Support Imprisoned Activist Josh Demmitt***

Joshua Demmitt is an 18-year-old animal rights activist recently
sentenced to 2.5 years in federal prison for his alleged involvement in
an illegal direct action at BYU – Provo Utah. In these alleged actions
animals were freed from abuse and property left damaged. Josh has shown
the greatest integrity and courage throughout this ordeal. Leaving
court he was quoted as saying "I'm going to support the cause until the
day I die.” as a community of conscience it is imperative that we
support Josh through his prison stay.

Take just five minutes to do a couple important things to support Josh:

1) Write him a letter.

Prison is a lonely place, and Josh needs know there is a large
community of supporters wishing him well, and waiting for his return.
A simple card, letter, or even just a brief note of support means a lot
to a prisoner kept from his or her friends and family.  Remember that
all prison mail is read by the authorities, so think before you write.
Mail to prison facilities must always include a return address and the
full name of the sender. Write to Josh at:

Josh Demmitt #12314-081
Federal Prison Camp Sheridan
P.O. Box 6000
Sheridan, OR 97378

2) Send a donation to The Josh Demmitt Support Group

Prisoners earn less than 25 cents an hour and have very limited access
to the resources that we have on the outside.  This means that it's up
to us to make sure that Josh receives everything he can to make his
stay in prison a little easier.  Although checks may also be sent
directly to the prison, Josh's personal prison account can be used only
for the limited purchases he can make as an inmate.  The Josh Demmitt
Support Group has formed and is currently raising money to fund the
next two and a half years of prison support for Josh.  We will be
helping to cover Josh's legal expenses should there be any, the cost of
postage and telephone calls, travel expenses for prison visits, reading
material for Josh, his commissary fund for the purchase of vegan food,
and whatever other needs might arise.

Josh has spent countless hours working for the animals - thank him by
sending a couple hour's worth of your work to:

The Josh Demmitt Support Group
c/o The Animal Defense League
PO Box 1587
Huntingdon, NY 11743

Make checks payable to: The Josh Demmit Support Group

Alternately, send a money order made out to Josh Demmitt (personal
checks are not accepted by the prison) to:

Federal Bureau of Prisons
Joshua Demmitt #12314-081
P.O. Box 474701
Des Moines, IA 50947-0001

3) Check the Josh Demmitt Support Group Website

Visit <http://www.supportjosh.org/>http://www.supportjosh.org for current
news about Josh,
information about his case and animal testing, and more ways to support
him and other prisoners.

***Email
<http://us.f308.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=bpersky@defendanimals.org&YY=19460&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>bpersky at defendanimals.org
with any questions***

4) Don't forget about other political prisoners!