[Ppnews] Veronza Bowers, Jr. Update

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 22 11:34:01 EDT 2005

Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:35:08 -0700
To: Recipient List Suppressed:;
From: "Monty H. Levenson" <monty at shakuhachi.com>

Dear Friends,

As most of you know, today, June 21, 2005, was the day Veronza Bowers was
to be released from federal prison on mandatory parole after more than 31
years of incarceration. This date was based on a vote of the five-member
U.S. Parole Commission in Washington, D.C., the highest governing body in
our nation's parole system. We just learned that, once again, at the very
last moment, Veronza's release has been cancelled.

This action was based on a petition filed by U.S. Attorney General Alberto
Gonzales requesting that the National Appeals Board "reconsider" their
decision granting him parole. The USPC has, thereby, "retarded" Veronza's
release (no pun intended) "for a period not to exceed 60 days". This order
for reconsideration by the Attorney General was made at the behest of a law
enforcement group called the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP). Our legal
team strongly feels that this unprecedented action on the part of the USPC
is totally illegal and based on no credible evidence whatsoever. It
violates the Commission's own guidelines and procedural regulations. The
rule of law that should guide the Commission in this case has clearly been
undermined by political pressure exerted at the highest levels of the
current administration.

The truth of the matter is that Veronza has served his full sentence under
law plus 18 months of illegal detention. He has been a model prisoner with
the highest possible Bureau of Prison rating and recommended for parole
several times, only to have his release rescinded, literally, at the last
minute. He received a very favorable review and recommendation for release
based on rigorous psychological and personality testing administered by a
highly-reputable independent agency. His petitions for parole have been
strongly supported by a number of prison officials and administrators who
worked closely with him over the years and can't say enough about his role
as a mentor and role model to younger inmates. His efforts to be released
have also been supported in writing by a former member of the USPC, head of
the NY Parole Commission and a member of the U.S. Congress. Over the last
three decades, he has worked hard to improve himself in all ways
possible-personally, socially and spiritually. Yet, he continues to
languish in prison, be subjected to threats and intimidation, demeaned by
the news media and falsely accused by the very group that claims to be the
guardian of law and order in our society. Today is a sad day for America
and for the spirit of democracy in our land.

Needless to say, this is not the last word on the matter. I spoke with
Veronza this afternoon and told him I would be writing. He sends his love
and sincere appreciation to all for the faith and support you have shown.
He asked me to tell you that this, more than anything, sustains him and
gives him hope.

All the best,

Monty

PS On a personal note, I was hoping that this would be the very last
"unsolicited" e-mail you will receive from me-one that ended on a positive
note. If any of you would prefer to have your name removed from this list,
please let me know and it will be done.
--

http://www.veronza.org