[Ppnews] GREEN Flaming SUVs

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 22 11:24:42 EDT 2005

<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/a/2005/06/22//cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/a/2005/06/22/gree.DTL>GREEN
Flaming SUVs
A conversation with convicted ecoterrorist Jeff Luers
- <mailto:gregory at sfgate.com>Gregory Dicum, Special to SF Gate
Wednesday, June 22, 2005

<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/a/2005/06/22//cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2005/06/22/gree.DTL&o=0&type=printable>
Click to View
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/g/a/2005/06/22//cgi-bin/object/article?f=/g/a/2005/06/22/gree.DTL&o=1&type=printable>
Click to View
  Five years ago this month, Jeff Luers set fire to three SUVs at a
dealership in Eugene, Ore., to protest America's heedless contributions to
global warming. He was promptly arrested and put on trial for arson.

Refusing to plea bargain, as his accomplice did, and with a past record
that includes 30 days in jail for a scuffle with a U.S. Forest Service
agent, Luers was sentenced to 22 years and 6 months in prison, the longest
sentence ever handed down in America for environmentally motivated sabotage.

The FBI estimates that in 2002, about 100 acts of ecoterrorism, which the
agency <http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress02/jarboe021202.htm>defines as
"the use or threatened use of violence of a criminal nature against
innocent victims or property ... for environmental-political reasons," are
perpetrated each year. Though these acts have included spectacular actions
such as the 1998
<http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article?article_id=4598>incineration of a
ski lodge in Colorado and a number of more recent SUV torchings (including
an incident at the same site Luers had targeted, which took place while he
was on trial),
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/07/01/MN56091.DTL&hw=luers&sn=001&sc=1000>very
few perpetrators have ever been caught, and only about 10 people in the
United States are serving time for this kind of crime. (No one has died in
any of these attacks.)

Luers' supporters say his sentence is far longer than the act of simply
burning three cars would seem to warrant, and he continues to appeal.
Supporters have <http://www.freefreenow.org>organized chapters in 35 cities
and 11 countries, and they say Luers is a political prisoner rotting in
prison because of the way he expresses his political beliefs.

This month marks the start of Luers' fifth year behind bars. Though he's
imprisoned, Luers is still active in the radical environmental movement.
Since successfully fighting an effort to censor him, he has participated in
interviews, written articles and letters from prison and contributed to a
<http://www.freefreenow.org/heartcheck.html>zine.

Meanwhile, the specter of "ecoterror" has, in the eyes of the federal
government, become more dire than ever: In March, a list of domestic-terror
threats from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
<http://www.cq.com/public/20050325_homeland.html>included environmental
extremists right behind groups such as al Qaeda. Indeed, a number of local
environmental activists have been subpoenaed to appear today before a
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/15/BAGD1D8MUF1.DTL&hw=grand+jury&sn=001&sc=1000>federal
grand jury investigating a pair of 2003 bombings in the East Bay.

I first contacted Jeff Luers in writing at the Oregon State Penitentiary,
in Salem, and last week I spoke with him by phone.

Did you consider yourself engaged in terrorism when you set fire to those
SUVs?

No. Really, when you look at the use of the word today, terrorism is
nothing more than a way to define armed struggles that you disagree with.

We were trying to draw attention to the use of resources in America that
are contributing to climate change and global warming. Obviously, during an
act of property destruction, objects are smashed, burned or demolished.
That happens. But what makes an individual act of sabotage more heinous
than crimes committed by governments and transnational corporations? If
we're going to look at the definition of terrorism or the definition of
violence, then we need to put it in its proper perspective. We certainly
ought to open the definition up to corporate destruction of rivers,
forests, oceans and all ecosystems, because those certainly aren't acts of
love.

The SUV caper wasn't your first attempt to bring attention to environmental
issues. What other efforts had you been involved in prior to that action?

I had been involved in civil-disobedience direct action. I spent a year and
a half in an endangered old-growth forest outside of Eugene. I've done tree
sits, roadblocks, lockdowns and some more confrontational things. I've been
involved in street protests. I've met with and lobbied members of Congress.
I've debated with timber-industry officials.

Was burning the SUVs the most extreme thing you'd done?

Yeah, I'd say it was.

Were you conscious of it being a step in a new direction for you?

I was trying to move into the realm of more radical actions. If you compare
arson actions that have happened in the U.S., the majority of them were
quite major. That's the goal that I was working toward -- to be more of an
underground guerrilla activist. The SUVs were kind of a baby step.

Even so, the judge threw the book at you. Was this an effort to make an
example of you, or was it just the start of tougher sentencing in general?

About six months ago, there was
<http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/02/25/c1.cr.arson.0225.html>a man
from Springfield[, Ore.,] who took his case to trial -- he didn't take a
plea bargain. He was accused of multiple counts of arson in the City of
Springfield for lighting apartment buildings on fire. And in every single
one of his fires, people actually had to be evacuated. The fire department
had to do door-to-door searches to ensure that no one was in the buildings.
He very, very clearly put people in danger, and he was sentenced to 15
years -- seven years less than me.

I'm obviously biased, but I have to say that my sentence is out of the
norm. The only official explanation that has ever been given came from Kent
Mortimore, chief deputy D.A. in Lane County [the county in which Eugene is
located], who says, basically, bottom line, I'm a terrorist and I got what
I deserved.

At the same time, the sentence has increased your platform and your
notoriety. I wouldn't be talking to you if it hadn't been so unusual, for
one thing.

Yeah, I think their idea backfired. I think the goal was to make me serve
as a deterrent to anyone else that wanted to be involved in radical actions
and dissent. And I think that they failed to understand that all they did
was galvanize my position.

With the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Liberation_Front>growing trend
toward eco-tage in this country, I think that they looked upon me as
representing that as a whole. But I didn't back down. I didn't plea out,
and I didn't make apologies.

And even after you were sentenced, since you've been in prison, you've had
to face unusual restrictions.

Yeah. Back in 2003, the [state Department of Corrections (DOC)] told me
that I would not be able to write about or express my political ideology,
or write about environmental- or social-justice movements or issues. I was
told that every time I did, it would be considered a gang member-type
thing, and that I would be punished accordingly. I quickly filed suit
against the DOC for violation of my First Amendment rights, and they very
quickly decided to settle out of court.

And, as a result, you can talk to me today.

Actually, they're censoring me again. They're censoring my outgoing mail
when they consider it endorsing or supporting anarchist or environmental
activity. CNN and "60 Minutes" have recently been denied access to
videotape me. I just recently filed a notice of intention to sue because of
this. If the DOC knew that I was talking to you, I'm not sure how they
would view it.

I take it these are <http://www.adl.org/civil_rights/prison_ex.asp#q6>not
ordinary restrictions in American prisons?

If they are, I have not seen it in Oregon.

Going from the life of an eco-anarchist in the Oregon woods to the
top-down, rules-focused life of prison must have been quite a change for you.

It sucks really bad. All the stereotypical things that you see in the
movies -- that stuff happens here. But it hasn't broken me, and it can't
break me. I just accept this environment as home -- my ability to deal with
it has really surprised me.

Part of it's just survival. But the other part is trying to remain active
and inspirational to the folks on the outside that are working for change.
I want people to know that prison isn't the end of being able to be
involved; it's not the end of your life.

It really warms my heart to know that all those people around the world are
supporting me and are getting active. It lets me know that everything I did
wasn't in vain, that what I did made a difference.

As you know, the Department of Homeland Security has recently identified
eco-sabotage as one of the top domestic terror threats the United States
faces. Do you think the government is justified in seeing the type of
action you took as a serious threat to the nation?

It's interesting, because you have to look at the ideals behind our
government. It's very well known that the government, time and time again,
tries to side with corporate interests. Those corporate interests have
trumped environmental protection, they have trumped endangered species,
they have trumped
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2005/02/02/gree.DTL>poor
communities trying to keep toxic waste dumps out.

This [eco-sabotage] movement has specifically targeted corporate entities.
They have found those transnational corporate entities that are polluting
and destroying and wreaking havoc on the environment, and they have
targeted them with property destruction.

Now, compare that with the arrest a few years ago in Texas of a man named
<http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1229/p02s01-usju.html>William Krar. He was
arrested and sentenced to 11 years for possessing machine guns, pipe bombs
and a 100-pound cyanide bomb -- a weapon of mass destruction, as defined in
the USA Patriot Act, which existed at the time. He was a white supremacist
and part of a white Christian group, but he was never labeled a terrorist.

So, it goes back again to what the political agenda is. If you target
property -- you target corporate interests -- you are somehow more of a
threat.

In before-prison pictures, you look like the stereotypical anarchist punk.
Do you consider yourself an anarchist now?

Yeah, but probably not in the way that most people define anarchist. I
believe in autonomous self-rule. My definition of anarchy includes the
ability of other people to choose to live nonanarchist lifestyles. I think
that people need to choose the lifestyle that's best for them, as long as
it doesn't impinge on the freedom of others.

How does your brand of eco-sabotage fit in with mainstream environmentalism?

Like every other historical movement, all facets of the movement work
together, even if sometimes they don't agree or even understand that
they're working together. More and more, even mainstream environmental
activists are understanding and recognizing the need for direct action. And
while they don't necessarily condone it, they understand why people partake
in it.

Plus, radical actions make other groups seem more moderate. In the late
'70s, the Sierra Club was viewed as a bunch of environmental wackos. In the
early '80s, Earth First! came along doing tree sits and lockdowns and all
sorts of other really far-out stuff, and suddenly the Sierra Club looks
moderate. Nowadays, the Earth Liberation Front makes Earth First! look
moderate. They all fit hand in glove in creating social change.

But a lot of the environmental movement is based on the idea of
nonviolence. In their abhorrence at the violence being done to the Earth,
many -- perhaps the majority -- of committed environmentalists have
renounced any sort of violence.

Well, education and ethical debate is a powerful force for change, but it
can only sway someone whose problem is that they don't know. It can't reach
someone who doesn't care. Industry and government have institutional and
monetary biases against protecting the Earth, and no amount of education is
going to change their viewpoint.

Now, people need to be outspoken, and everyone who believes that we need to
change should do everything in their power -- writing letters, protesting,
talking to their neighbors -- but we also need people to go out and commit
acts of direct action. We have reached a point where simply being outspoken
is not enough.

There is no equality between the average person and a corporate entity.
Good, solid communication cannot occur when people are not equal, and
that's where we find ourselves. We need to take corporations that aren't
willing to listen and force them to listen, or hurt their pocketbooks.
Losing money is the only thing that ever seems to affect a billion-dollar
enterprise.

I can anticipate some of the e-mail this column will generate, and I'm sure
you've heard it before. People will say, "Why are you giving this guy a
platform? He's just a criminal."

I think that anyone who is quick to judge me for what I did should, at the
very least, be quick to judge corporations for what they do. They look at
my activities and say that they're wrong because they break the law. But I
believe in a higher law: We have a responsibility to future generations and
a responsibility to ourselves to challenge injustice. The destruction of
the world is injustice. The exploitation of indigenous peoples and peasants
in underdeveloped countries is injustice.

I've gone down the road of aboveground activism, I've gone down the road of
lobbying Congress, of meeting with corporate entities -- I know what kinds
of results they get. If anyone can point out something that works better
than what I did, I'll be more than happy to listen. Until then, here I am
five years later for burning an SUV, and that one single action seems to
have worked out pretty well for me so far. I don't have a problem doing
time for my beliefs, because I believe strongly enough in them to accept
it. I think that's what some people out there don't understand. The dangers
that we're facing -- they're real.