[Ppnews] Russell Maroon Shoats Needs Our Support

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 8 08:41:38 EDT 2005

Political Prisoner
Russell Maroon Shoats
Needs Our Help!

This letter is now also available online for you to sign:
http://www.petitiononline.com/shoatz/petition.html

It was discovered on April 15, 2005 that Russell “Maroon” Shoats, a
politically active and conscious prisoner in Pennsylvania, most likely has
prostate cancer.

His family is calling on all people of conscience to write a letter asking
that he be provided with proper medical care, as well as transferred to a
closer prison. SCI-Greene, where he is currently incarcerated, is a 12
hour journey round-trip from Philadelphia.

Shoats was active in the Black Panther Party. He has spent 33 years in
prison. More than ten of those years have been spent entirely in the hole
(a room the size of a bathroom that he only leaves for one hour a day).

Shoats is also one of the founders of the Human Rights Coalition, a very
dedicated and loving brotha who deserves all the support and energy that
we can give him for his continued commitment to helping not just folks on
the inside but on the outside as well. Please take a couple minutes to
send a letter supporting his case.

Please DO NOT SEND these letters directly to Governor Rendell.

SEND ALL LETTERS TO:
FCU
PO Box 9476
Philadelphia, PA 19139

This way they can keep track of the letters that come in and make copies
for their files.

Thank you.

The Human Rights Coalition
www.hrcoalition.com

YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
CITY, STATE, ZIP

Governor of Pennsylvania,
225 Main Capital Building,
Harrisburg, PA, 17120

Date

Honorable Edward Rendell,

Russell Shoats is a 61-year-old man who has been in prison for over 33
years. For over ten of those years he has been in “solitary confinement."
He is held at SCI-Greene, which is over 300 miles away from his family,
who are based in Philadelphia. He is a father, grandfather and “model
prisoner,” who has only had one minor rule infraction in over 15 years.

After a prison blood test and two other examinations, it was discovered
that he is probably suffering from prostate cancer.

I ask you to use the powers of your office to assure us that Russell
Shoats will receive all of the medical care he needs. Further, we ask that
you see that he is immediately transferred to one of the state’s Level
Four Maximum Security Prisons; either SCI-Graterford or SCI-Frackville so
that his family doesn’t have to travel for twelve hours to visit him.

As governor, you share responsibility with the state’s Department of
Corrections for providing safety and security for us citizens. Included
among these responsibilities are the duties of providing for the health
needs of state prisoners and helping them maintain ties with their family
members.

We call on you to ensure that these things are carried out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

YOUR NAME HERE

"When a cause comes along and you know in your bones that it is just, yet
refuse to defend it, at that moment you begin to die. And I have never
seen so many corpses walking around talking about justice." --Mumia
Abu-Jamal

Free Mumia and All Political Prisoners!
Latin at s por Mumia • www.freemumia.net
NYC Jericho Movement