[Ppnews] From Ray and Jamila, for Richard

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Dec 9 08:47:34 EST 2005

Greetings, all ... Last night, December 7, Ray was writing the words
that follow, just hours before Richard passed over to the other side.
I know Richard heard him. Please use our words on the website and the
tribute book. I just want to say that although I never had the
privilege of meeting Richard Williams in person, I am touched by the
beauty of his spirit. I wish I'd had a chance to get to know him
better. We corresponded during 2001-02, during the time he spent
months in the hole never knowing if or when he'd be transferred to
Marion or ADX. The stress he endured, and the conditions under which
he suffered, surely had a marked effect on his health. He understood
death as a natural part of life, something all of us would do well to
learn. Now he is free. love, Jamila

 From Ray: The first time I met our comrade Richard Williams was in a
safehouse, underground. For the next decade we engaged in a common
struggle to provide whatever support we could muster to the
downpressed - be they victims of apartheid in South Africa, or
slaughtered in Central America - and to defend ourselves. It wasn't
until the last hour of the last trial that we were consigned by our
enemy to different prisons. I would never see him again.

Richard, like many political prisoners, has never received the
recognition and respect he deserves. He has been vilified in the
media and ignored by the left - a shared experience by many political
prisoners. But then, Richard never sought accolades. The brother I
know is not ego driven nor laden with grandiose ideas about what
others should march to. He has at his essence that uncommon quality
of a revolutionary - feeling every injustice done to the poor and
working people of this planet.

I know Richard well, having risked our lives together time after
time. He never waivered when confronted with danger, and didn't
disappoint when demands upon us were critical. I've seen him act
decisively when it took courage to step up, and step down in
situations that required defusing. He's all of that - a people's
soldier and friend.

A man of deep commitment and fiery passion, he dedicated his life to
others. The fallout from that was not being able to see his own
children during the most dangerous years. He made that sacrifice, but
the longing for his kids was intense and it laid heavy in his heart.

Sacrifice. How deep the sacrifice for what we believe true and
necessary? When the U.S. killing fields in Central America were
littered with the bodies of companeros and their children, Richard
did not stand idly by. When apartheid drenched South Africa in the
blood and suffering of African people, Richard chose to act. The
lineage from prison and antiracist activist to underground guerilla
is not difficult to figure - Richard has the heart, consciousness,
and political perspective to take it to a brutal enemy.

He did it in his time, when time was of the essence. When he knew he
had the strength and endurance for a protracted and extraordinarily
difficult struggle. That time has now past.

The brother I know, who withstood 50,000 volt stun gun assaults and
the rigors of solitary confinement, has fallen. This brother of such
infectiously good humor, so respectful of elders, and without a
cynical bone in his body, is dead. He chose to pass on in as
dignified a way as possible given the inherently abusive conditions
of his confinement. They never crushed his spirit.

Brother, I do not say goodbye, for there are no words for this in the
language we know best. Until next time - among oak leaves, the
feathers of a hawk, nurturing new life from a coral reef .... I love you, Ray

Ray Luc Levasseur, December 8, 2005