[Ppnews] Bashir Hameed on 23-hour Lockdown!

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Apr 3 15:16:03 EDT 2005

From: iyaluua at aol.com
==================

The following is a brief summary of the facts surrounding the harassment of
Political Prisoner Bashir Hameed by the administration of Sullivan
Correctional Facility. We quote below from a letter received from Bashir.

"In early January, after suffering chest pains, I asked for reassignment
from the yard crew where I had to shovel snow, etc. On January 17, I was
reassigned to the gymnasium solely. Since then I have been constantly
harassed and badgered by the guards for not reporting to the yard.. . . The
recreation supervisor, Dean Smith, informed these guards that I was
reassigned to the gymnasium and that I was not a yard porter.

"On the third of February, I sent the superintendent a memo informing him
of the problem with the security staff. My supervisor, Dean Smith, also
sent him a memo addressing this issue. I never received any communication
from the superintendent.

"Dean Smith, the recreation supervisor, was recently transferred to another
prison and shortly thereafter I was put on keeplock status, confined to
cell for 23 hours, for allegedly disobeying a direct order to report to the
yard, and I was also served with a misbehavior report.
"I have since early January had to go Albany Medical Center on 2 occasions
for stress tests. Due to my medical condition, I have been advised by the
facility doctor not to lift over 10 lbs. yet I am constantly badgered and
harassed about my job assignment, in particular why I have not been coming
out to the yard to shovel snow.
"The superintendent has been totally inept and unwilling to stop this
harassment. Moreover, when I was recommended by a counselor here to be
assigned as a program assistant (e.g., counseling other prisoners about the
correct method for seeking employment, etc., upon their release), the
superintendent personally vetoed my being assigned to that job at my
misbehavior infraction hearing, which currently is going on."

Bashir is a long-time political prisoner, with almost 25years behind the
wall. He fought for our rights, now we must fight for his rights. Because
of his refusal to bow down to the autocratic behavior of this racist prison
system, the guards and the administration are constantly trying to break him.

First send letters of encouragement and support to Bashir.
           Bashir Hameed    82A6313
           Sullivan Correctional Facility
           PO Box 116                   Fallsburg, New York 12722-0116

Next write letters to the Superintendent, protesting this harassment and
demanding the return of Bashir to his job in the gym and removed from yard
duty.
           Superintendent
           Sullivan Correctional Facility
           PO Box AG                Fallsburg, New York 12722-0116

  tel. (914) 434-1080
  fax: #80-690-2099

Your urgent and immediate attention and response to this matter is requested.
                                         Free the Land
                                         Herman Ferguson, The Jericho Movement

*Iyaluua Nehanda*