[News] Zionism is the catastrophe

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 16 20:13:13 EDT 2024

peoplesdispatch.org
<https://peoplesdispatch.org/2024/05/16/zionism-is-the-catastrophe/>
Zionism is the catastrophe
Kaleem Hawa
May 16, 2024
------------------------------
[image: nakba-palestine-gaza.jpg]
Photo: Sofia Perez

Many have allowed themselves to be desensitized, rather than experience the
war each day as if it were the first. This is in part a reflection of the
enormity of the destruction, in part the adaptive qualities of a mind which
resists too frequent a decampment to another’s field of vision. In these
seven months, we have seen the wholesale ruination of Gaza’s
life-sustaining infrastructures, its public utilities now makeshift;
education and healthcare inoperable; food and water withheld. Almost every
site necessary for political and social life has been destroyed: municipal
and district archives with years of history are gone, records of families
with century-long stories are gone.

In Gaza, the ultimate challenge of the 21st century has been consolidated:
how to manage the desires of a people who have refused submission and
dispossession; what is to be done with those who will not bend. The
Zionists found their answer, built off of the prior answers, and
accelerated — backed by the most sophisticated tools of torture and
immiseration ever conceived by the advanced forces of American empire.

Seven months into the campaign of extermination, it is the sadism that
stands out: hovering quadcopters made to sound like crying babies;
elementary schools carpet bombed; and dark-site concentration camps, where
Palestinian men are blindfolded and Israeli families are invited to watch
and to laugh, as they are burned with lighters, drenched in scalding water,
and electrocuted.

Zionism is the catastrophe. Its violence is world-historic, its regional
ethnonationalist project takes the form of a sprawling entity of death and
dismemberment declared by and for the Jewish people. This entity has no
borders because it claims the entire Arab world, just as it has claimed
thousands of Lebanese martyrs and thousands of Yemeni martyrs. With
American support, it crushes and de-develops any who resist, installing
ruling compradors to maintain a system of extraction and plunder that
operates with impunity.

Every day we have ten Palestinian children who become amputees; every day
ten children lose one or more of their limbs. Just like the Nakba,
amputation is a political structure, its root is Zionist mutilation
intended to enact politicide. The amputation of people from land,
amputation of children from their families, amputation of limbs from their
little bodies; these are the products of a colonial trauma that flows
seamlessly into social trauma, the phantom pains and attempts at
re-grafting an overwhelming challenge for the popular cradle.

No ceasefire will change the reality that made this permissible. This truth
complicates the solidarities whose demands have not yet hewn to the
objectives of national liberation. To those still indulging in
self-mythologization or teary-eyed hugs, to what extent is Gaza truly the
compass of your ideological project, to what extent has it led to your
spiritual dislocation from the existing world system?

In your vision of justice, does the siege end? Do the lands return? Do
Palestinians return to those lands, does the forced starvation go away, do
the water and trees come back, are our prisoners freed? With thousands of
children in graves, and thousands more whose families are in graves, our
demands today are no different from the demands we made in our text during
the first week of the genocide: that you do not waiver and that you remain
committed until total return.

All of this — each blasted particularity — is sanctioned by the Israeli
people. It is cheerled by them; they make videos to celebrate their
violence, the martyrdom, the imprisonment, the starvation. They smile when
our people are tortured beyond recognition. Theirs is not a social
formation that can be lived alongside. To the Jewish anti-Zionist allies,
it is not good enough to say that this genocide is a false idol: every
major institution of Jewish political and religious life in the West
supports the aggression, sending their money and their children to fight
and kill Palestinians. Your task, then, is not a “redemption” of Judaism,
not the salvation of the Jewish kids spiritually disfigured by their
parents — it is Palestinian freedom, which necessarily requires a militancy
in withdrawing, confronting and creating contradictions within these
institutions.

Armed with this knowledge, we must be secure in the belief that the fight
to stop Zionist aggression is just and true, which means defending those
who do. The Palestinian resistance is our inspiration; we salute our brave
fighters, who have faced every weapon known and as yet unknown, and who
continue to struggle for a different world. If there is anything to be
learned from the ongoing genocide it is to reject those who erase the
immense contributions of the resistance, and to distinguish those who want
unconditional liberation from those who just want the “violence to end” so
as to sleep at night.

Because of this resistance project, we have claimed some victories in the
imperial core. The movement is stronger than ever, more militant, more
connected to the working class, to labor, to the students, whose
encampments have bravely resisted their cities’ counterinsurgency
strategies. Because of this work, the contradictions have become
undeniable, an American left has been injected with new energies and now
circles the fascists and their mercenaries.

The task at hand is to capture, maintain and organize this energy. Hundreds
of thousands of people across the world have taken to the streets for Gaza,
have fought for divestment in the universities, have demanded an end to
surveillance and policing collaboration programs.

Those in power have doubled-down, sending more money and more weapons to
the Zionist entity. The seemingly intractable appears at once daunting and
hallucinatory, personally painful too, for those in our movement whose
families and friends have spent their long October transmitting fear and
rage from America’s extermination camps. If there is any solace to be found
it is in those dreams and words and rockets that have remodeled the land —
76 years of assembly and disassembly, 76 years too long, but also proof
that with Gaza as the heart, there will be courage and with Gaza as the
eyes, the aim will be true.

*This essay first appeared in the project of Writers Against the War on
Gaza, New York War Crimes, Issue IX.*