[News] Hamas presents 'comprehensive vision' for Gaza ceasefire

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 15 23:01:41 EDT 2024

 Hamas presents 'comprehensive vision' for Gaza ceasefire

The Palestinian resistance is steadfast in demanding a withdrawal of
Israeli troops from Gaza so that humanitarian aid can be freely distributed
and reconstruction efforts can begin

News Desk <https://thecradle.co/authors/news-desk-9>

MAR 15, 2024 -
https://thecradle.co/articles/hamas-presents-comprehensive-vision-for-gaza-ceasefire
(Photo Credit: Getty Images)

Hamas presented late on 14 March a “comprehensive
<https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2024/03/15/721916/Hamas-presents-Gaza-truce-proposal->”
plan for a lasting ceasefire in Gaza to Egyptian and Qatari mediators that
includes a prisoner exchange deal, the cessation of hostilities, and the
delivery of aid to the starving Palestinians being ethnically cleansed by
the Israeli army.

A statement released by the Palestinian resistance faction says the plan
also involves the return of displaced Palestinians to their homes and the
withdrawal of Israeli troops from the Gaza Strip. “The rights and concerns
of our people shall remain our top priority,” the statement says.

Although Hamas has not publicly disclosed specific details of the proposal,
*Reuters*
<https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/hamas-issues-ceasefire-proposal-mediators-which-includes-exchanging-2024-03-15/>
claims to have reviewed a copy of the document and reported on Friday that
it calls for the initial release of Israelis held captive in Gaza,
including women, children, elderly, and ill prisoners in exchange for the
release of 700–1,000 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.

All captives from both sides would be released in a second stage under
Hamas’s plan, which reportedly says that a date for a permanent ceasefire
would be agreed upon after the initial exchange of captives and prisoners,
as well as a deadline for an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.

Nevertheless, prospects for a breakthrough remain slim as Israeli Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hinted that the terms on offer would probably
not be acceptable. “Hamas is continuing to hold to unrealistic demands,”
Netanyahu’s office said late on Thursday.

The Israeli war cabinet is set to meet on Friday to discuss the terms
presented by Hamas.

Palestinian resistance leaders have repeatedly accused Tel Aviv of
deliberately hindering a lasting ceasefire that could put a stop to the
mass murder of civilians in Gaza.

Netanyahu has publicly shown little interest in reaching a deal to free the
remaining Israelis held captive by Hamas in Gaza, while his Jewish
supremacist coalition partners Itamar Ben Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich see the
issue of freeing the Israeli captives as a barrier to their efforts to
conquer Gaza, forcibly expel its 2.3 million Palestinian inhabitants, and
establish Jewish settlements in their place.

On Wednesday, Palestinian resistance factions in Gaza confirmed their
unified demand for a “comprehensive ceasefire” before any prisoner exchange
deal, in opposition to the demands
<https://thecradle.co/articles/ball-in-us-court-for-gaza-ceasefire-deal-hamas>
of Israel and the US.

“We affirm our national position … there is no agreement or exchange deals
without a comprehensive cessation of aggression against our Palestinian
people,” a statement released via Telegram reads. It also highlights that
"Managing the Palestinian issue, including the Gaza Strip, is an internal
Palestinian national matter. We will not allow the occupation and its
supporters to interfere or impose guardianship over our people in any way."