[News] Protecting Guåhan: DOD Increasingly Harms the Furthest U.S. Colony

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jun 30 10:51:31 EDT 2024

View this email in your browser
<https://us19.campaign-archive.com/?e=5ce6b7d835&u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=1e4bafe051>

Håfa adai,

In this email, I share some issues that are deeply personal to me as a
CHamoru woman, born and raised on Guåhan (Guam), a U.S. colony. I’ve
included calls to action towards the end. Saina ma’åse’ in advance.

I spent most of my childhood within 3 miles of the Anderson Air Force
Base. I had always known our island was a strategic military location—a
strange phrase for a child to know by heart. But the military is
omnipresent—in the boom of jets flying overhead, drowning out the
excited stories of children on the sand or waves crashing onto the reef,
armed personnel guarding gates erected around familial lands, and flocks
of short-timers flooding beaches and their beer cans left behind. Guåhan
(Guam) is “the tip of the spear,” meaning we are the closest and most
vulnerable to U.S. adversaries like China and North Korea. Our location
has long been of utmost importance to military strategizing and
posturing, but our people and our land’s well-being have not.

Right now, the military is moving thousands of marines from Okinawa to
Guåhan. In response to Okinawan demands to push the marines and their
physical, sexual, and environmental violence off their lands, Japan and
the U.S. agreed to move them and their harms to our island. The
brand-new marine base sits directly over the aquifer that provides
nearly 90% of our island’s fresh water. Millions of lead bullets will be
fired over the aquifer annually, leaving chemical agents in the soil and
threatening our groundwater systems and surrounding ocean areas. But the
harm does not end with water destruction and extends beyond our island.
In every instance of the military’s adverse impacts on water, the
consequences leak into community health, access to cultural resources,
food sovereignty, struggles for decolonization, and the very survival of
Indigenous peoples, lifeways, and homelands. In our latest post we dive
into some of the ways the United States’ continued colonization and
growing militarization actively harms our homeland.

Government historic land grabs and government physical violence pushed
CHamoru families off their lands, many of whom still await their return.
The U.S. now occupies a third of the island as military lands and
federal nature reserves. Still, colonial policies further push our
people off the island by increasing the cost of living and preventing
the return of CHamoru lands, all to the benefit of the
military-industrial complex. Federal laws like the ones mentioned here
limit our ability to continue to live in our homeland.

/A non-exhaustive list of examples:/

  * *Environmental Justice.* Past and present military activities have
    poisoned our lands and waters with toxic chemicals, including Agent
    Orange and jet fuel.
  * *Self-Determination. *The Ninth Circuit prevented the Government of
    Guam (GovGuam) from holding a non-binding survey, asking if the
    respondent preferred that Guam pursue Independence, Statehood, or
    Free Association with the U.S. GovGuam restricted the survey to
    residents who lived on the island before Congress granted Guåhan’s
    residents U.S. citizenship through enacting the Organic Act of
    Guam—a federal statute that may be amended or repealed at any
    time—and their descendants. Arnold Davis—a white settler backed by
    aright-wing, anti-equity firm
    <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=e757a2fedf&e=5ce6b7d835>
    masking as civil rights defenders, theCenter for Individual Rights
    <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=37e6193258&e=5ce6b7d835>)—sued
    GovGuam, alleging the restrictive registration violated his right to
    vote and racially discriminated against him. The Court agreed.
  * *Self-Governance. *Residents of U.S. colonies (territories),
    including Guåhan, cannot vote for president, have no senators, and
    have only non-voting delegates in the House.
  * *Housing Justice. *Servicemembers stationed on Guåhan receive at
    least $3,700 monthly for rent and utilities. DOD bases these rates
    on surveys of personnel stationed on the island. Traditionally, this
    afforded them luxurious, beachfront lifestyles, feeding into the
    myth that servicemembers need these exorbitant allowances and
    steadily increasing the amounts. Market rates and what locals pay or
    can afford to spend on rent do not factor into the calculations. If
    the federal government considered Guam a “domestic” base (like in
    the states), the housing allowance would factor in market rates to
    avoid disturbing the local housing market. With the stark increase
    in military personnel moving onto the island, they are saturating
    the housing market, pricing locals out, including Section 8
    voucher-holders, making it even more difficult to live where we
    always have.
  * *Land Back.* In ending the Spanish-American War, Spain ceded Guåhan
    and all its “Crown Land” to the U.S. in 1898. The U.S. immediately
    instituted military rule over the island. On the same day as the
    Attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, Japan also attacked Guåhan. Knowing
    the forthcoming simultaneous attacks, the U.S. deserted Guåhan,
    redirecting its military forces to Hawai‘i. The following 3 years of
    Japanese occupation was arguably the most gruesome period in our
    island’s history. The U.S. returned, defeated Japan’s military, and
    reoccupied the island in 1944. At this time of (1) an unfettered
    military dictatorship and no civil protections on the island and (2)
    an atmosphere of fear, gratitude, and devastation, the U.S. engaged
    in the most extensive series of land grabs on the island to date,
    physically removing or taking advantage of our traumatized and
    war-torn people, justified in the name of national security. Now,
    the military occupies and restricts entry into a third of our island
    and areas of the surrounding ocean. CHamoru families still advocate
    for the return of their lands, but federal law and policies restrict
    access and land returns. The Organic Act Amendments, Pub. L. No.
    106–504, 114 Stat 2309 (2000), gift federal agencies complete
    discretion in determining whether any land they control is “excess”
    to their needs. Only then can the land be given to GovGuam, who may
    only use the land for “public purposes,” explicitly preventing
    turning over properties to individuals other than on a
    “nondiscriminatory basis.” U.S. civil rights frameworks make
    returning land to their CHamoru ancestral stewards difficult.
  * *Economic Justice.* The Jones Act requires passengers and goods
    passing between “U.S.” ports to be carried by U.S. carriers,
    negatively impacting all residents in the colonies. For instance,
    this law drives up the cost of living, CHamorus off our homeland,
    and the cost of returning home.

We also highlightongoing litigation
<https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=be903908c0&e=5ce6b7d835>
brought by Prutehi Litekyan: Save Ritidian, represented by Earthjustice,
against the U.S. Air Force, the Department of Defense (DOD), and their
Secretaries. Lastly, we touch on DOD’s latestenvironmental assessment
<https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=7d41a71fba&e=5ce6b7d835>
for the Guam Flight Test (the DOD’s plan to test the missile defense
system on island, including by launching and intentionally colliding
missiles over the ocean and let the debris sink to the ocean floor).
_These tests threaten our environment, communities, and endangered
species. The DOD also plans to close public properties and ask private
landowners to stay away from their off-base properties during the test
for up to 4 days._

_*What you can do: *_

  *

    *Share*: Share our post on Instagram or Facebook.

  *

    *Donate*: Ensure that WPLC and the organizations we mention below
    can continue this work by supporting our work.
    https://www.waterprotectorlegal.org/donate
    <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=2871b4fe28&e=5ce6b7d835>
    Thank you for your continued support of our work! You make this work
    possible.

        Nihi Indigenous Media
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=db0c8450f6&e=5ce6b7d835>:
        a small Indigenous production house based in Guåhan, committed
        to uplifting Indigenous voices and stories from our home and all
        across our region. They center Indigenous land and water
        protectors and environmental justice issues. Their work includes
        media (intergenerational conversations, CHamoru language
        immersion, sharing traditions and stories across the Marianas
        and Micronesia); Protect Guam Water (an Indigenous Youth-led
        water rights group advocating to protect Guam’s natural
        resources); and culturally relevant, place-based learning
        materials for Guam public school educators.

        Micronesia Climate Change Alliance
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=947066cffb&e=5ce6b7d835>:
        a grassroots network of individuals and organizations dedicated
        to uplifting and uniting Micronesian communities to create
        culturally-centered solutions that protect and heal our sacred
        islands, waters, and peoples. creating community-centered
        solutions to climate change. MCCA envisions a healthy, thriving
        Micronesian society empowered and rooted in Indigenous Culture,
        where all peoples and environment are cared for with just,
        equitable, and regenerative systems.

        Fanachu! – Independent Guåhan
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=31905f72fb&e=5ce6b7d835>:
        a Guåhan-based Indigenous media project challenging colonialism
        by bringing critical narratives to the masses through podcasts,
        videos, and other creative content. They tell stories from a
        Chamoru, Marianas, Micronesia, and Pacific-based perspective.

  *

    *Submit a Public Comment *opposing the “Guam Flight Test.” Public
    Comments are due August 2, 11:59 pm ChST. Email: info at GFT-EA.com.

  *

    *Contact your Congressional Representatives *and ask them to SUPPORT
    HR 8786, introduced by Delegates of Guam and the Commonwealth of the
    Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI). The legislation would allow certain
    foreign carriers to stop in Guam or the CNMI to transport passengers
    or cargo, decreasing the costs of goods and flights between Guam,
    the CNMI, and other U.S. destinations. Our delegates don’t get to
    vote, so we need yours!

  *

    *Sign* this petition
    <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=ebdad10aac&e=5ce6b7d835>
    to protect Guam’s water.

  *

    *Include* the CHamoru people and the U.S. territories in your advocacy.

  * *Continue* to educate ourselves and our communities. Some suggested
    resources:
      o *Watch*:
          +

            @NihiIndigenousMedia
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=a516760958&e=5ce6b7d835>
            on YouTube (e.g., Nihi! KIDS TALK to Chamoru Activists
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=ccfe40a490&e=5ce6b7d835>)

          +

            CHaCHing
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=2aaa61b319&e=5ce6b7d835>
            by Jonah Hånom (Music Video), also available on Spotify,
            Apple Music, and other platforms.

          +

            @PulanSpeaks
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=81c95546ad&e=5ce6b7d835>
            on YoutTube

      o *Listen*: Fanachu! Podcast on Spotify
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=955aa6c193&e=5ce6b7d835>,
        Apple Podcasts
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=ecb0143b19&e=5ce6b7d835>,
        Google Podcasts
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=1e61de98ac&e=5ce6b7d835>,
        YouTube
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=1d83bec943&e=5ce6b7d835>,
        and other platforms.

        *Read*: www.guampedia.com
        <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=acaa7cbccc&e=5ce6b7d835>

          +

            Julian Aguon, No Country for Eight-Spot Butterflies
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=221c114954&e=5ce6b7d835>
            (2022).

          +

            Guam Military Build Up
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=1900f72e1f&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            Guampedia (June 20, 2024).

          +

            Sarah A. Topol, The America That Americans Forget
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=98793fcd2e&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            New York Times (July 27, 2023).

          +

            April Arnold, In Nuclear Crosshairs, Guam Still Doesn't
            Control Its Own Affairs
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=af7d419082&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            Inkstick (May 20, 2024).

          +

            Chris Gelardi, The US Military Is Bulldozing Sacred
            Indigenous Sites on Guam
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=62ea10af3f&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            The Nation (Dec. 22, 2021).

          +

            Jon Letman, Guam: Where the US Military Is Revered and
            Reviled
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=603042fa9f&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            The Diplomat (Aug. 29, 2016).

          +

            Frances Nguyen, Guam won’t give up more land to the U.S.
            military without a fight
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=359e40f392&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            Prism (June 4, 2021).

          +

            Shawna Chen, UN prods U.S. over military buildup, human
            rights violations in Guam
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=c8b75ff294&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            The Yappie (Apr. 4, 2021).

          +

            Damien Cave, Uneasy Coexistence on Guam: Military Buildup
            and an Indigenous Upwelling
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=4bf71e67ba&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            New York Times (Apr. 12, 2023)

        *Follow*:

          +

            Prutehi Litekyan: Save Ritidian on Instagram
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=747beb9e0d&e=5ce6b7d835>
            and Facebook
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=53ec21c7e6&e=5ce6b7d835>.

          +

            Nihi Indigenous Media on Instagram
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=5ab105a081&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            Facebook
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=83aec0d2bf&e=5ce6b7d835>,
            and YouTube
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=8db86e5ce8&e=5ce6b7d835>.

          +

            Independent Guåhan on Instagram
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=fabc792f49&e=5ce6b7d835>
            and Facebook
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=e835b854c9&e=5ce6b7d835>.

          +

            Micronesia Climate Change Alliance on Instagram
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=0fcb65b18b&e=5ce6b7d835>
            and Facebook
            <https://waterprotectorlegal.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=219a2239564e69b3f7671537b&id=985c271b15&e=5ce6b7d835>.

I dream of a future where I can write you about my homeland, only
painting visions of the orange sun leading cotton candy colored skies
into the ocean’s deep blues, fading into crystal-clear waters that kiss
the sand where the shore holds barbeques, coconut trees, and impromptu
jam sessions, accompanying bird songs, butterflies dancing. I’d tell you
about the peace found in the silence beneath the ocean’s surface, among
thriving corals, schools of fish, and sea turtles. We’d enjoy warm days,
cool nights, warm people, cool drinks. We’d stress over the small
problems of the day, finding comfort in friendship and laugh in the new
day. I am so deeply grateful for all of you, dreaming and building
towards our collective liberation everywhere, for all of us, all of our
homelands and ancestors, and all of our futures.

In Solidarity,

Kyra Blas
WPLC Legal Fellow

Twitter