[News] US Court Concludes Israel's Assault is Plausible Case of Genocide but dismisses it on jurisdictional grounds

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 31 23:37:47 EST 2024

ccrjustice.org
<https://ccrjustice.org/home/press-center/press-releases/us-court-concludes-israel-s-assault-gaza-plausible-case-genocide>

  U.S. Court Concludes Israel’s Assault on Gaza Is Plausible Case of
  Genocide

Jan 31, 2023

    While Dismissing Case on Jurisdictional Grounds, U.S. Judge
    “Implores” Biden Administration to Stop its “Unflagging Support” for
    Israel’s Ongoing Siege of the Palestinian People in Gaza

January 31, 2024, Oakland, CA – After a federal court heard arguments
and testimony in the case /Defense for Children International –
Palestine v. Biden/
<https://ccrjustice.org/home/what-we-do/our-cases/defense-children-international-palestine-v-biden>on
Friday, January 26, charging the Biden administration with failing in
its duty to prevent, and otherwise aiding and abetting, the unfolding
genocide in Gaza, a federal judge found that Israel is plausibly
engaging in genocide of the Palestinian people in Gaza and that the
United States is providing “unflagging support” for the massive attacks
on Palestinian civilians in contravention of international law. The
court’s decision follows a historic ruling by the International Court of
Justice last Friday, which also found the Israeli government was
plausibly engaged in a genocide of the Palestinian people in Gaza, and
which issued a series of emergency measures Israel must take to end its
genocidal campaign.

The U.S. court based its assessment on the “uncontroverted” live
testimony of seven Palestinian witnesses, including one from Gaza and
one from Ramallah, who testified firsthand to Israel’s killing of their
nieces, cousins, aunts, uncles, elders, and members of their community,
to the mass displacement of their families reminiscent of the 1948
Nakba, and to the devastating conditions of life in their homeland as
the siege leads to mass starvation. The court also relied on the expert
opinion
<https://ccrjustice.org/sites/default/files/attach/2023/11/Declaration%20Expert%20Historians_w.pdf>of
genocide and Holocaust scholars who confirmed that Israel’s military
assault and totalizing humanitarian destruction bears the hallmarks of a
genocide based on legal and historical precedent. Nevertheless, the
court reluctantly dismissed the case
<https://ccrjustice.org/sites/default/files/attach/2024/01/91_1-31-24_Order-granting-MTD_w.pdf>on
jurisdictional grounds. While the court recognized that the prohibitions
on genocide are fundamental and binding international law, this was a
“rare” instance where “the preferred outcome is inaccessible to the
Court” and it found it lacked power to resolve the case because it
implicated executive decision-making in the area of foreign policy.

Delivering a historic rebuke of Israel and the United States for its
flouting of the Genocide Convention, the court wrote:

Both the uncontroverted testimony of the Plaintiffs and the expert
opinion proffered at the hearing on these motions as well as statements
made by various officers of the Israeli government indicate that the
ongoing military siege in Gaza is intended to eradicate a whole people
and therefore plausibly falls within the international prohibition
against genocide.

The court recognized the substantial role of the United States in
furthering the genocide and noted that “as the ICJ has found, it is
plausible that Israel’s conduct amounts to genocide” and, therefore, the
“Court implores Defendants to examine the results of their unflagging
support of the military siege against the Palestinians in Gaza.”

The court stated, “It is every individual’s obligation to confront the
current siege in Gaza.”

According to *Katherine Gallagher*
<https://ccrjustice.org/home/who-we-are/staff/gallagher-katherine>,
Senior Staff Attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights who argued
the genocide case before the court, “The court affirmed that what the
Palestinian population in Gaza is enduring is a campaign to eradicate a
whole people – genocide – and that the United States’ unflagging support
for Israel is enabling the killing of tens of thousands of Palestinians
and the famine facing millions. While we strongly disagree with the
court’s ultimate jurisdictional ruling, we urge the Biden administration
to heed the judge’s call to examine and end its deadly course of action.
Together with our plaintiffs, we will pursue all legal avenues to stop
the genocide and save Palestinian lives.”

According to plaintiff *Waeil Elbhassi*, “My family lived through and
was displaced by the first Nakba (catastrophe) in 1948, which the world
has barely acknowledged. Yet in court on Friday, I testified to make a
record of Israel’s horrific slaughter of my family, and the destruction
of my homeland and Palestinian heritage, and to demand that the United
States stop giving the Israeli government its total financial and
diplomatic support for this ongoing genocide, a second Nakba.”

Plaintiff *Mohammed* *Monadel Herzallah *said, “It is important that the
court recognized the United States is providing unconditional support to
Israel’s ongoing genocide in Gaza and that a federal court heard
Palestinian voices for the first time, but we are still devastated that
the court would not take the important step to stop the Biden
administration from continuing to support the slaughter of the
Palestinian people. Currently, my family lacks food, medicine, and the
most basic necessities for survival. As Palestinians, we know this is a
hard struggle, and as plaintiffs we will continue to do everything in
our power to save our people’s lives.”

“To be clear, this is far from a win for the U.S. government. It is
unprecedented and damning that a federal court has all but affirmed that
Israel is committing a genocide while criticizing defendants Biden,
Blinken, and Austin’s ‘unflagging’ support for the acts that constitute
that genocide,” said Center for Constitutional Rights Senior Staff
Attorney *Diala Shamas*
<https://ccrjustice.org/home/who-we-are/staff/shamas-diala>*.*

The Palestinian plaintiffs, represented by the Center for Constitutional
Rights, together with co-counsel from Van Der Hout LLP, are the
Palestinian human rights organizations Defense for Children
International – Palestine and Al-Haq; and the individuals Dr. Omar
Al-Najjar, Ahmed Abu Artema, and Mohammed Ahmed Abu Rokbeh, who are in
Gaza; and Mohammad Monadel Herzallah, Laila Elhaddad, Waeil Elbhassi,
Basim Elkarra, and Ayman Nijim, who are U.S. residents with family in Gaza.

To watch a recording of the hearing, visit the court’s website
<https://www.uscourts.gov/cameras-courts/defense-children-international-palestine-v-biden>.

To watch a recording of the plaintiffs’ press conference following the
hearing, visit the Center for Constitutional Rights YouTube page
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF9qBh83ul8&t=160s>.For more
information, see the Center for Constitutional Rights’ case page
<https://ccrjustice.org/home/what-we-do/our-cases/defense-children-international-palestine-v-biden>.