[News] Hamas - Bushnell immortalized in memory of Palestinians

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 27 11:36:30 EST 2024

english.almayadeen.net
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/bushnell-immortalized-in-memory-of-palestinians--free-people>
Bushnell immortalized in memory of Palestinians, free people: Hamas
Al Mayadeen English
February 27, 2024
------------------------------

Palestinian Islamic Resistance movement Hamas expresses its "heartfelt"
condolences to the family and friends of "heroic pilot Aaron Bushnell",
saying his name will live on forever as a defender of oppressed
Palestinians.
[image: 138670a7-bada-4ff7-9cb8-774cb473be08.jpg]

   - People leave notes and flowers during a vigil for US Air Force
   active-duty airman Aaron Bushnell outside the Israeli Embassy, Washington,
   DC, February 26, 2024. (*AFP*)

Palestinian Islamic Resistance movement Hamas expressed its "heartfelt
condolences" and "full solidarity" with the family and friends of American
citizen and US Air Force active-duty member Aaron Bushnell, who carried out
an act of self-immolation in front of the Israeli embassy in Washington in
protest of the Israeli genocide in Gaza.

Making his way on foot toward the occupation embassy, Bushnell said while
recording himself: "My name is Aaron Bushnell. I'm an active duty member of
the United States Air Force. And I will no longer be complicit in genocide."

"I'm about to engage in an extreme act of protest, but compared to what
people have been experiencing in Palestine at the hands of their
colonizers, it's not extreme at all. This is what our ruling class has
decided will be normal," he said before pouring gasoline on himself.

He was then seen in the video lighting himself on fire while shouting "Free
Palestine" repeatedly, before an embassy guard came close and raised a gun
at his body, which then was on the ground, still burning. The American
pilot was transferred to a hospital where he was later announced dead.
[image: 5042ba26-7fd9-44a6-8cbf-c7d14d323819.jpg]

   - US Air Force active-duty member Aaron Bushnell (*Social media*)

A defender of the oppressed Palestinian people

Hamas held President Joe Biden's administration fully responsible for his
death, citing Washington's "policy that has supported the Zionist regime in
its genocidal war against our Palestinian people."

Hamas pointed out that the tragic incident acknowledges "the growing anger"
among the American public who reject their country’s policy, "that
contributes to the killing and genocide of our people" and "violates global
humanitarian values, by providing cover to ensure the impunity of the Nazi
entity and its leaders from punishment and accountability."

"Aaron Bushnell immortalized his name as a defender of humanitarian values
and the oppressed Palestinian people," the statement read, likening it to
the sacrifice made by "American activist Rachel Corrie, who was crushed [to
death] by an Israeli bulldozer in Rafah in 2003."

"The heroic pilot Aaron Bushnell will remain immortal in the memory of our
Palestinian people and the free people of the world, and a symbol of the
spirit of global humanitarian solidarity with our people and their just
cause."
A haunting reminder

In a report
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/bushnell-incident-causes-fear-of-escalation-against-washingt>
on Monday, *Politico *considered Bushnell's death as the culmination of the
increasing wave of dissatisfaction with the White House's policy regarding
Gaza.

The news website confirmed that "the self-immolation is an escalation of
the anger from within the government, which until now manifested itself in
resignations and hastily called group meetings," expressing the ruling
establishment's fear that the incident would "lead those who work in the
administration or are members of the services to become more outspoken."

Administrative personnel within Biden's administration penned a protest
note to him, expressing concerns about his policies in the Gaza Strip. They
urged the White House to advocate for a ceasefire in Gaza.

In the letter, staffers wrote that "to end one’s life in the most violent
and severe way is a stark warning for our nation," calling on the White
House to push for a ceasefire in Gaza.

"May his sacrifice be a haunting reminder for those who refuse to change
course."