[News] Please Support the Freedom Archives

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jun 13 10:27:27 EDT 2023

Alternate text

Donate Here!! <http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>

Summer 2023

Dear Friends,

We hope this letter finds you healthy and engaged! As summer fast
approaches, we’re excited to continue adding materials to the archives,
collaborating with others, working on our documentary on the Puerto
Rican independence movement, and of course our day-to-day commitment to:

Preserve the past – Illuminate the present – Shape the future

*Puerto Rico:
*

Our December trip to Puerto Rico was a wonderful experience. Joined by
long-time collaborator and co-founder Andres Algeria, we interviewed 14
former political prisoners about their lives, what inspired them to join
and commit themselves to the independence movement, and how their
experiences shape the way they understand current anti-colonial
struggles. These interviews took us from working class San Juan to the
mountains of Guavate, to the southern coastal town of Lajas. We saw the
environmental effects of years of devastating hurricanes and continued
US colonial exploitation, but also clear examples of collective
resilience and self-reliance. It was an honor to be welcomed as comrades
in struggle and engage with such dynamic and interesting perspectives,
stories and analysis. Continuing the work, we’re looking forward to
translating and transcribing our content, planning additional
opportunities to interview more activists and starting to develop
narratives for the film. To all those who made this trip possible - we
can’t thank you enough!

Photo of Andres, Claude and Nathaniel with water in background

Image: Andres Alegria, Claude Marks, Nathaniel Moore

Thanks for your Support!! <http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>

*Just Another Day in the Archives…*

Cover Page of Through the Looking Glass Periodical

Cover: /Through the Looking Glass: A Women's & Children's Prison
Newsletter./
Full Text Link
<https://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC510_scans/Prisons_Women/510_PrisonWomen_LookingGlass_Vol3No9.pdf>.

We continue to open our space for class visits, researchers, students
and community members. Here's some of the other things we've been up to:

  * Facilitating Presentations
  * Adding newly processed collections and digitized materials to the
    search-site
  * Celebrating Paul Robeson’s 125th birthday with an audioscape of Paul
    Robeson for an Oakland gathering and music performance by UpSurge!
  * Organizing to support prisoners in Soledad (CTF) who are suing
    California for physical and psychological attacks against Black
    prisoners for organizing in the wake of George Floyd’s murder and
    demonstrations.
  * Continued restructuring our database and audio digitization workflow.

Newly Digitized Materials:

Cover of Irish Songs of Resistance songbook

/Irish Songs of Resistance/. Full Text Link
<https://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC15_scans/15_IrishSongResistance.pdf>.

Cover Aspects of the Mozambican Revolution pamphlet

/Aspects of the Mozambican Struggle/. Full Text Link
<https://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC50_scans/50.AspectsOfMozambicanStruggle.FRELIMO.pdf>.

/Lectures on Liberation/. Full Text Link
<https://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC513_scans/Angela_Davis/513.AngelaDavis.LecturesonLiberation.pdf>.

We’ve also been pleased to serve as a resource for those working to
imagine, establish, sustain, and grow community archival projects. This
work is very important to us – not because we think that we’ve got
everything figured out – far from it – but because we recognize how
vital it is to replicate archival models that are grounded in community
control and leadership, committed to Left and radical political values,
and centered in accessibility and a vision for social change. These
conversations strengthen our movements’ intellectual resources as we
share skills, ideas and solutions and build relationships that sustain
us and the work far beyond the initial meeting. We appreciate that folks
see our work as a source of inspiration and are glad to provide insight
and strategies when we can.

*¡Ricardo Romero Presente!*

Revolutionary activist, grand jury resistor and Chicano movement leader
Ricardo Romero passed away on April 28th, 2023. Ricardo was not only a
lifelong friend to many in our community but also was an important part
of our films /Cointelpro 101/ and /Symbols of Resistance/. Our work
together created space for Ricardo to share his vibrant stories and
perspectives and also an opportunity to communicate the beauty and
commitment of a 5 - decade - long political and personal relationship.
Ricardo Romero contributed his life to movements for liberation and
justice and while his presence will be missed, his words, lessons and
smile will always be with us.

Ricardo at the 2017 San Francisco premier of /Symbols of Resistance./
Photo Credit: Scott Braley.

2023 is shaping up nicely and as always we rely on your steadfast
support. We deeply appreciate the ways you’ve helped us build a strong
foundation for a vibrant future, continually growing our educational
resources, and participating in ongoing struggles for justice and
freedom. Thank you!!

We always welcome your comments and suggestions. Your donations help us
amplify our efforts and impact – please support our work by sending us a
check, giving online and when possible, signing up as a monthly donor.

Donate Here!! <http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>

In gratitude,

I'm an image

I'm an image