[News] Sheikh Jarrah: Jewish Settlers, Led by City Councilman, Chant 'We Want Nakba Now'

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jan 15 13:45:28 EST 2023

palestinechronicle.com
<https://www.palestinechronicle.com/sheikh-jarrah-jewish-settlers-led-by-city-councilman-chant-we-want-nakba-now-video/>
Sheikh Jarrah: Jewish Settlers, Led by City Councilman, Chant 'We Want
Nakba Now'
January 15, 2023
------------------------------
A Palestinian woman faces Jewish settlers and Israeli soldiers in Sheikh
Jarrah. (Photo: Palestine Chronicle)

Israeli police assaulted Palestinians in Jerusalem during a solidarity
demonstration late on Friday, while standing by as groups of extremist
Israelis chanted “We Want Nakba now”, led by a city councilman, The New
Arab reported.

Scores of Sheikh Jarrah residents and activists took part in a protest
against the new Israeli far-right government’s policies, waving Palestinian
flags and calling for an end to Israeli apartheid.

In recent days, Israeli authorities have ordered the demolition of several
Palestinian houses across Jerusalem, while continued Israeli attacks in the
occupied West Bank have claimed 12 Palestinian lives since the beginning of
the year.

Jewish settlers, led by city councilman Yontan Yossef, amassed in a
counter-protest, chanting racist slogans and calling for a repeat of the
Nakba – the expulsion of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians from their
lands during the creation of Israel in 1948.

Jerusalem City Council member Yontan Yossef storms Sheikh Jarrah chanting
“We want Nakba now.”

This man is responsible for denying thousands and thousands of Palestinian
building permit applications, btw. When we say the Israeli settler state…
pic.twitter.com/XXMU5luSwQ <https://t.co/XXMU5luSwQ>

— Mohammed El-Kurd (@m7mdkurd) January 13, 2023
<https://twitter.com/m7mdkurd/status/1613949931559215105?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Israeli police were seen assaulting Palestinian protesters, including
elderly veteran protester Nafissa Khweiss, who regularly takes part in
sit-in protests at the Al-Aqsa Mosque.

The Israelis calling for a repeat of the Nakba, however, were allowed to
continue chanting.

Chants calling for the expulsion of Palestinians have been given fresh
oxygen in recent months by the rise of the extremist religious right in
Israeli politics.

*(The New Arab, PC, SOCIAL)*

(The Palestine Chronicle is a registered
<https://www.palestinechronicle.com/about/> 501(c)3 organization, thus, all
donations are tax deductible.)