[News] Anti-Monarchy Protesters Make Their Voices Heard, Are Arrested

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 14 10:37:38 EDT 2022

popularresistance.org
<https://popularresistance.org/anti-monarchy-protesters-are-arrested-as-dissenters-make-their-voices-heard/>
Anti-Monarchy Protesters Make Their Voices Heard, Are Arrested
By Eliza Egret, The Canary - September 13, 2022
------------------------------

If you read the mainstream media, you’d be forgiven for thinking the whole
of Scotland is in mourning as Queen Elizabeth’s coffin arrives in
Edinburgh. Thousands are lining the streets to pay their respects to the
former ruler.

However, less covered in the media are the thousands who feel disgust at a
monarchy that epitomises colonialism, oppression and racism. There were
protests in both Edinburgh and Cardiff as Charles Windsor was proclaimed
King Charles III.

In Cardiff, people held up signs
<https://nation.cymru/news/anti-monarchy-protests-wales-scotland-cardiff-edinburgh/>
in
Welsh and English saying “It’s colonial subjugation of the Welsh people”,
and “Not our King”. Meanwhile, in Edinburgh, a 22-year-old woman was arrested
for breach of the peace
<https://twitter.com/BladeoftheS/status/1569034135825440769?s=20&t=Co5w8ykIwLuzyrLKLIXaHw>
as
she held up a banner which read “Fuck imperialism, abolish
monarchy”. Police Scotland wanted to emphasise to *The Canary* that the
woman wasn’t arrested for the banner itself. Presumably, then, the police
arrested her because they only allow freedom to protest when it doesn’t
offend the majority.

As the Queen’s coffin was being driven through the streets of Edinburgh,
police also arrested a 22-year-old man after he heckled the disgraced
Andrew Windsor
<https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-andrew-queen-coffin-edinburgh-b2165473.html>.
Once again, the arrest was made under breach of the peace laws.
Arrested For ‘Expressing An Opinion’

In England, activist Symon Hill was also arrested in Oxford for his part in
protesting the proclamation of King Charles
<https://bright-green.org/2022/09/11/i-was-arrested-after-asking-who-elected-him-at-the-proclamation-of-king-charles/>.