[News] Palestinian human rights are non-negotiable

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 26 13:00:46 EDT 2022

qudsnen.co <https://qudsnen.co/palestinian-human-rights-are-non-negotiable/>
Palestinian human rights are non-negotiable
QudsN - April 26, 2022
------------------------------
PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS CLASH WITH ISRAELI FORCES FOLLOWING A PROTEST
AGAINST THE EXPANSION OF JEWISH SETTLEMENTS IN THE WEST BANK VILLAGE OF
BEIT DAJAN ON APRIL 22, 2022. (PHOTO: STRINGER/APA IMAGES)

Apartheid Israel has made it absolutely clear that since it cannot get rid
of us completely, we must become its inferior colonized subjects for ever.
The majority of Israeli Jews support the genocidal policy of their
government because as Zionists living in a Jewish supremacist state, they
are indoctrinated into believing that they are entitled to certain
privileges that must be denied to the “goyim,” who happen to be the
indigenous population of the land.

In order to implement this racist ideology, in 1948 ethnic cleansing was
the solution. And in 1967, a combination of colonization and military
occupation became the only option. The commander of Israeli forces in the
West Bank, had this
<https://library.oapen.org/bitstream/handle/20.500.12657/26102/CG_978-3-941159-31-0_epdf.pdf>
to say as soon as the Israeli Occupation Forces succeeded in occupying what
was left of Palestine: “All authority of government, legislation,
appointment and administration pertaining to the area or its residents will
now be exclusively in my hands and will be exercised only by me or by any
person appointed therefore by me or acting on my behalf.”

No wonder then that almost all major, mainstream human rights
organizations, including the UN Human Rights Council and the prestigious
International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School, have lately come
to the conclusion that Israel is an apartheid state.

Israeli apartheid, within this context, is a euphemistic word used to
describe a multi-formed regime of oppression, one that denies the humanity
of the colonized subject, namely native Palestinians. But in Gaza and
Jenin, we refuse to march to Israel’s death chambers sheepishly. We are not
like normalizing Arab leaders who have accepted their inferior status
because they refuse to recognize their oppression as injustice, instead
accepting it as the natural order.

In Jerusalem, Gaza, and other parts of historic Palestine, we have made it
absolutely clear that we will fight the settler-colonial, apartheid regime
that exists between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea. This is a
regime that has managed, successfully, to create a non-democratic state
reality on the ground, thanks to the 1967 Naksa and the disastrous 1993
Oslo Accords. We believe that it is our right to demand that the
international community support our struggle for justice and freedom, in
exactly the same way that it is supporting the Ukrainian resistance against
the Russian invasion.

We, however, are also aware that the tokenization of our struggle and
emancipation have, alas, become ordinary conduct on the part of
organizations that were historically dedicated to the liberation of
Palestine.

Once again, the Palestinian people are proving that are more aware of the
reality on the ground and more anxious for our rights than our leadership,
right and left, and the so-called international community are. The
Ukrainian crisis has shown that it is our duty as Palestinians to create
the alternative we need when, in fact, there is no existing political space
that will accommodate our liberation, as I argued in a piece
<https://mondoweiss.net/2022/03/on-western-hypocrisy/> I wrote last month.
We are on the receiving end of a racist, Western onslaught but we cannot
compromise on our basic rights. These include the right to
self-determination and liberation even when all we’re offered is the facade
of talking independence and camouflaged racist solutions.

The question on every Palestinian mind (but not on the minds of the
political elite) is: what are we going to do now that it has become
absolutely clear that the so-called peace process allowed the production of
new Israeli facts on the ground and new repressive practices that made a
functioning Palestinian State essentially nonviable?

As the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement has maintained,
those who make their support for BDS and its three demands, i.e. freedom,
equality and justice, conditional on the movement’s adoption of the
so-called “international consensus” (which is nothing more than an unjust
solution dictated by Israel and the world’s only current superpower, the
USA) are asking us to forfeit some of our basic rights as humans, which
reveals a deeply disingenuous position. Our basic rights are not
negotiable; solutions are.

And one such solution that has been resurfacing is a secular-democratic
state for all of its citizens. This secular-democratic state would be
established following the dismantling of the existing multi-tiered system
of oppression between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea. This
solution guarantees political equality regardless of religious and ethnic
backgrounds. This is precisely what the current upheaval in Palestine, led
by revolutionary youngsters is all about. The same slogans are being used
in the Negev, Gaza, Jenin, Jerusalem, Umm Al-Fahm and other Palestinian
cities, slogans that represent a new consciousness that the older
generation is unable to comprehend.

By Haidar Eid
Source: Mondoweiss