[News] Former Cuban Intelligence Chief Sees Cuban Revolution in Danger, Calls for Action

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Sep 30 10:09:16 EDT 2021

https://mltoday.com/former-cuban-intelligence-chief-sees-cuban-revolution-in-danger-calls-for-action/
<https://mltoday.com/former-cuban-intelligence-chief-sees-cuban-revolution-in-danger-calls-for-action/>

  Former Cuban Intelligence Chief Sees Cuban Revolution in Danger, Calls
  for Action

      By W. T. Whitney Jr.

/September 25, 2021/

Fabian Escalante was a founder of Cuba’s state security services. He
served as head of Cuba’s Department of State Security in 1976 -1996,
also as vice-minister of the Interior Ministry. He headed the Cuban
Security Studies Center after 1993*. *In short, his views on threats
from the U.S. government and Cuba’s internal opposition carry weight.

Specifically, _“the internal counterrevolution
<https://lapupilainsomne.wordpress.com/2021/09/23/mas-sobre-la-actualidad-cubana-parte-ii-por-fabian-escalante-font/>_ is
reorganizing its forces and is on the offensive.” They are “calling for
a ‘national strike’ for October 11 … to secure the ‘liberation of
political prisoners.’”  Afterwards, Escalante insists, “a group of
‘activists,’ presumably counterrevolutionaries,” will be seeking
authorization from Havana municipal authorities “for a peaceful march
against ‘violence’ in November.” That’s when Cuba will be welcoming
international tourists, excluded since the Covid-19 pandemic broke out.

Escalante cites a fringe Miami-media story portraying the march as
“against violence, and in favor of the rights of all Cubans being
respected, the liberation of political prisoners, and solving
differences democratically and peacefully.” Similar news sources, he
claims, are saying that marches will take place throughout the country
in accordance with the constitutional right to “public protest.”

Presently, he points out, “lies and half-truths, swarming around via
social media, are disparaging government leaders, especially Cuban
president Miguel Diaz-Canel. Accusations center on “failing to improve
living conditions in deprived, vulnerable urban districts.”

In Miami, “a sector of the Cuban community, manipulated by
fundamentalist congresspersons Marco Rubio, María Elvira Salazar and
their acolytes, are readying their weapons, coordinating and paying
local peons.” These are “in close touch with counterparts on the island
and will assist in creating an environment of social destabilization.”

That U.S. government money, under Democratic and Republican
administrations alike, pays for counter-revolutionary activity in Cuba
remains a fact <https://cubamoneyproject.com/2021/07/03/usaid-5/>,
according to journalist Tracey Eaton: “The U.S. Agency for International
Development is offering up to $2 million for new democracy-promotion
programs in Cuba. USAID’s goals are to: “Advance the effectiveness of
independent civil society groups … [and to] Develop broader coalitions
to expand civil society’s impact.”

In July, the House Appropriations Committee “approved
<https://cubamoneyproject.com/2021/07/21/budget/> a bill that would
authorize the State Department to spend $20 million on democracy
promotion projects in Cuba during fiscal 2022 … Nearly half the money –
$9.98 million – would go toward civil society; $4.78 million would be
spent on independent media and free flow of information and $5.24
million would be used to promote human rights.”

Likewise in July, Miami congressperson Mario Diaz-Balart _issued
<https://cubamoneyproject.com/2021/07/21/budget/>_ a statement praising
“the many activists who have suffered or perished for simply daring to
speak against the regime.” He had just introduced a resolution seeking
international support for counterrevolution in Cuba.

Escalante, the former top leader of state security in Cuba, is alarmed.
He declares that, ‘In circumstances like those at present – pandemic,
escalation of the blockade, scarcities etc. – we must not underestimate
the enemy and if we want to upgrade the impasse (“/elevar la parada/, as
they say in my barrio”), we must accept the challenge, with MORE
REVOLUTION as Fidel taught us.”

Escante calls for mass action, “local political and patriotic
mobilizations.” And, “we will do what we know to do, which is to
mobilize the people.” He would “strengthen the bases of our
organizations with ‘new ideas [and] with**concepts that go beyond the
frequently repeated ‘change in style and working methods.’”

He calls upon “communists occupying the superstructure to come down … to
organizations at the base and to other area-based centers … in order to
dialog and hear about conflicts and local necessities and [then]
undertake a counter-offensive.”   Escalante wants Communist leaders to
engage similarly with other revolutionary forces.”

He believes that the “enemy of humanity, the U.S. government … is
preparing to offer the final blow to the Revolution.” He suggests that
the Biden administration is counting on Cuba’s supposed weakness and
that it seeks a “consolation prize” in view of recent U.S. defeats. Now,
therefore,* “*The street belongs to the revolutionaries, as Díaz Canel
has alerted us.”

--
Freedom Archives 522 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA 94110 415 863-9977