[News] We Are Neither Intolerant Nor Irresponsible But We Will Give Up Our Lives for the Ideals of Revolution

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 16 10:41:46 EDT 2021

world-outlook.com
<https://world-outlook.com/2021/07/15/we-are-neither-intolerant-nor-irresponsible-but-we-will-give-up-our-lives-for-the-ideals-of-revolution/>
- July 15, 2021 We Are Neither Intolerant Nor Irresponsible But We Will
Give Up Our Lives for the Ideals of Revolution
world-outlook.com

------------------------------
Leader of National Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba Speaks Out
------------------------------

*The following is a Facebook post released in Cuba July 12, 2021. The
author, Ernesto Limia Díaz
<https://www.facebook.com/ernesto.limia.9?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZWWWaiTAs0kI3pHYCswZFL3NINps6iZGZPp857VsBzV8SP49_gTnTxI2OBQ_jKDgQQ2ILSByM-GgoJ-dXNjJNqZ_6bvQIOtIpcPol0vWGXjIsDLvsysSwfMq4h4XAgHPJK_8p-tcmH8eQn92TxNpX579licvX0I05D5U0r6lxLlrg&__tn__=-%5dK-R>,
is First Vice-president of the Writers Association of UNEAC (National Union
of Writers and Artists of Cuba).*

World-Outlook *is publishing it to amplify the voice of Cuba’s
revolutionary leadership in confronting a barrage of lies and
disinformation unleashed in recent days by the U.S. government, the
Democratic and Republican parties, and the big business media as Washington
has tried to foment a social explosion and destabilize Cuba. We publish it
in solidarity with revolutionary Cuba, which is facing serious challenges
due to the Covid-19 pandemic and a vicious U.S. economic war intensified
under the Trump and Biden administrations.*

*The article below is published by the author’s permission. Translation,
subheadings, and footnotes are by *World-Outlook.com*.*
------------------------------

*By Ernesto Limia Díaz*

HAVANA, July 12, 2021—I detect a certain tendency to misrepresent our
president’s speech,*[1]* saying he incited a confrontation between Cubans.

First it is useful to clarify, that [President] Díaz-Canel clearly defined
three groups involved in the demonstrations that occurred in various
locations:

   - Revolutionaries affected by the hardships,
   - People who have fallen for the cock-and-bull tales broadcast by the
   mendacious media in Miami, and,
   - A hard core of counter-revolutionary provocateurs.

Unlike other nearby countries, including the United States, they were no
images circulating in the media, “Escafandras”*[2]* or clubs; no one was
killed like in Colombia, or blinded by rubber bullets like in Chile, nor
were people beaten like in the United States during the Black Lives Matter
protests. The world could witness a most unheard of image: a president in
the eye of the hurricane chatting, discussing, explaining…

Nowhere else on this planet would something like be seen. His attitude is
admirable, as admirable is the effort by the nation, and despite the
efforts of its powerful neighbor, which seeks to strangle it, so as to
present itself as its “savior” and impose its will on Cuba.

[President] Díaz-Canel did not call for mayhem, or for anyone to be
mistreated. He did not call for lynchings or police repression, which is
common in this hypocritical world, where they speak of freedom only to
impose the dictatorship of the powerful.

[President] Díaz-Canel called on us not to allow a “soft” coup to succeed,
which sought to serve as a pretext for a statement by the Organization of
American States (OAS) calling for a “humanitarian” military intervention,
as they have done elsewhere.
*Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel (center) in San Antonio de los Baños on
July 11, 2021, soon after anti-government protest by hundreds took place
there. “I believe that life, history, the facts show what is behind all
this, which is the effort to asphyxiate us and put an end to the
Revolution, and for that they are trying to discourage our people, to
confuse our people. And when the people are facing severe conditions, then
events like the ones we experienced in San Antonio de los Baños take
place,” he said. *(Photo: *Juventud Rebelde* [Rebel Youth] )

It’s worthwhile recalling at this time what [José] Martí*[3]* said to
Gonzalo de Quesada more than a hundred years ago: “And once the United
States gets in Cuba, who will remove them?” It’s up to the revolutionaries
and the Cuban people, patriots and rulers of our own destiny, to prevent
it. This is no time for naivete, a destabilizing operation against our
country has been underway for some time, and simply letting it succeed
would be paid for in blood. Examples abound.

Regarding confrontations between Cubans: there were in the 19th century,
between patriots and *Autonomistas;**[4]* and also from 1898 to 1902,
between supporters of independence and *Anexionistas *[annexationists];*[5]*
and there were confrontations after the Republic was born, albeit deformed
by the Platt Amendment, between patriots and supporters of the Platt
Amendment;*[6] *and there were during the revolution of 1930, defeated by
our ‘illustrious’ neighbor; and there was the year after the centenary of
the Apostle (José Martí), when the streets and mountains of Cuba ran red
with the blood of revolutionaries, in order to overthrow a bloodthirsty
tyrant who brought grief and shame to our homeland.

The class struggle exists and will exist, it is the struggle between the
bourgeoisie and its forces, arrayed against a revolution of the
downtrodden, by the downtrodden, and for the downtrodden.

We must engage in discussions, win people over, provide perspectives, seek
solutions all of us together, with young people leading the charge, all
while facing an unremitting siege, which will only intensify. This
generation of revolutionaries will not allow the conquests that our
forefathers bequeathed us to be torn from our hands.

We are neither intolerant nor irresponsible. Despite foreign attacks and
provocations, we have remained calm and acted with prudence. That’s not a
sign of weakness. It’s evidence of confidence and strength. But have no
doubt: should it be necessary, we are ready to give our own life for the
ideals of justice and social equality for which so many men and women
already gave their lives, ever since the Father of our Homeland*[7]*
proclaimed: “Independence or death!” in Demajagua, and freed his slaves,
inviting them into the vanguard of the Army of Independence.
------------------------------

*ENDNOTES*

*[1]* President of Cuba Miguel Diaz-Canel gave a speech on July 11, 2021,
Cuban daily *Granma* reported on that speech. See *‘**We Will Defend the
Revolution Above All Else*‘
<https://world-outlook.com/2021/07/12/we-will-defend-the-revolution-above-all-else/>
published
July 12, 2021, on *World-Outlook.com*

*[2] *“Escafandras” or “diving or space suit” refers to a sarcastic remark
by Fidel Castro saying the riot squad in the United States and Latin
America appeared like astronauts.

*[3]* José Martí, Cuba’s national hero, founded the Cuban Revolutionary
Party in 1892 to fight Spanish colonial rule. He organized the relaunching
of the independence war in 1895, and was killed in battle that same year.

*[4]* Liberal Party advocates of home rule under Spanish domination but not
independence.

*[5] *Supporters of U.S. seizure of Cuba as a colony.

*[6]* Imposed by U.S. occupation forces in 1901, the Platt Amendment gave
the U.S. government the right to intervene in Cuba.

*[7]* The author is referring to Cuban revolutionary leader Carlos Manuel
de Céspedes, a former plantation owner who freed his slaves and led the Ten
Years’ War (1868-1878), the first of three independence wars against Spain.

*W**orld-Outlook extends its appreciation to Aaron Ruby for translating
this article into English from the original Spanish-language version.*