[News] Freedom Archives Summer 2021 Newsletter

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 2 13:36:34 EDT 2021

Alternate text
Your Donation Means So Much to Us
Thanks for your Support!! <http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>

*Summer 2021*

Dear Friends,

Over the past couple of months, we’ve been able to more fully interact
with a number of members in our community and we’re channeling that
energy to everyone – hoping you’ve been able to safely and intentionally
begin to reconnect with family, friends and the people and spaces you
value. Here’s what we’ve been up to!

*The Search for a New Home*

Over the past months we’ve reviewed many property listings, taken tours
and crunched numbers. Overwhelming, yes – but we’re committed to finding
a home that gives us the space, accessibility and foundation to continue
to grow and nourish our work. We see this as a way to ensure the legacy
of these movement histories, stories of resistance, and the culture of
our most robust struggles.

*Art Against Imprisonment*

In March we launched a powerful virtual art exhibit featuring art from
incarcerated and formerly incarcerated people in occupied Palestine and
the US titled “Art Against Imprisonment – From Palestine to the US” This
collaborative project grew out of a long history of active solidarity
between movements against imprisonment in the US and Palestine and
continues work we engaged in during our 2016 delegation to Palestine.
The art featured on the website is a testament to the creativity,
imagination and brilliance of the many people who resist the
invisibility, isolation and repression of prisons – people who claim
liberated spaces by creating art.

View the Art Show <https://artagainstprison.org/>
I'm an image

Image: Logo created by Heba Hamarsheh

Image: /A Message from behind prison bars to my patient mother on the
occasion of Mother’s day/ by Amer Qawasmi et al., 1995.

Your Donation Means So Much to Us
Thanks for your Support!! <http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>

I'm an image

Image: Equipto at the Freedom Archives, 2021

*Art Sato's /In Your Ear /Preservation Project*

Spearheaded by Art and his son Equipto, we undertook the preservation of
over 90 in-depth interviews by Art Sato with innovative practitioners of
jazz and Latin music. Art is a leading authority on jazz history and
culture and has hosted */In Your Ear, /*a unique weekly radio series on
KPFA-FM in Berkeley, California from 1981 to the present. Also available
on the project page is an original interview conducted with Art by
Equipto covering Art’s life and inspirations, the history of */In Your
Ear /*and stories to better understand the complex and central role jazz
has played in our national culture and around the world.

Art Sato's /In Your Ear/ Preservation Project
<https://freedomarchives.org/projects/art-satos-in-your-ear-preservation-project/>

Image: Art Sato at KPFA - Early 1980s

*Santa Cruz Women's Prison Project*

We recently finished processing a new collection of materials related to
Bay Area women’s prison organizing during the 1970s, the Santa Cruz
Women’s Prison Project (SCWPP). Through photographs, newsletters,
reports, correspondence, poetry chapbooks, and more, this collection
documents SCWPP’s prison work at the California Institution for Women
(CIW), where the organization launched an educational project that
provided UC extension credit for classes such as creative writing,
women’s health, and social action. The project marked the first time
that college credit was granted to prisoners in the history of the
institution and exemplifies the robust inside/outside organizing and
exchanges possible despite prison walls. View the collection here
<https://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=1081>.

I'm an image

Image: Women's Prison Coalition Western Region Newsletter, Spring 1978

Santa Cruz Women's Prison Project Collection
<https://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=1081>

*Preserve the Past, Illuminate the Present, Shape the Future*

As always, we continue to process new archival items, provide materials
for books, films and articles, and participate in a wide array of
projects, online presentations, and more!

We depend on you to continue to build, as we have for the last 22 years!
Thank you for your continued support. Please consider donating online,
becoming a monthly sustainer or by sending us a check in the enclosed
envelope.

May you and yours continue to remain healthy and engaged!

Alternate text
Alternate text
Your Donation Means So Much to Us
Thanks for your Support!! <http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>