[News] COVID-19 vs. Panic-2020

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 20 10:46:02 EDT 2020

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/03/20/covid-19-vs-panic-2020/

  COVID-19 vs. Panic-2020

by Nilantha Ilangamuwa <https://www.counterpunch.org/author/mucruf/> -
March 20, 2020

Worldwide stock markets are crashing. Arbitrary travel bans are being
imposed. Huge queues before supermarkets are a daily experience. Most of
the airports are empty. The future of airlines is in a stalemate state.
Skepticism among general public is higher than ever. Science has been
replaced with panic. One wonders whether we are travelling towards
another Great Depression.

Thanks to social media owners and breaking news engineers are mounting
profits by selling the privacy and shrinking space of individual liberty
of every man and woman on the planet. They have manufactured a new
social order of control based on panic.

In this new social order, there is no mechanism to hold responsibility
and accountability of those who are engineering self-thoughts as news.
Therefore, an action of a social media user can cause maximum damage,
despite the distance at which the user is residing.

The drama on novel-coronavirus, which is now officially named as
SARS-CoV-2 and the disease is now called COVID-19, is yet another case
study to understand the pitiful social reality we are compelled to live
in. The sad part of this novel social order is that this has been
ignored and sidelined for the very reasons we ought to be afraid of.
Let’s unveil some of them.

Yes. Annually, there are an estimated 1 billion cases of the flu
worldwide, resulting in about 650,000 deaths, while there are only
approximately 134,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide till date.
Fatality rate of the COVID-19, according to experts of the subject, is
around 3-4 per cent. We are way more likely to contact the flu than the
novel coronavirus.

The story does not end there. Let me keep aside the human cost of
terrorism and extremism as well as the nuclear threats for the time
being. Here are some of the facts compiled from the reports by the
United Nations and its related bodies on global challenges due to our
life style based on deliberate ignorance and cynical manipulation.

There are more than 1billion people suffering from hunger. What does it
mean? One in every seven people on this planet doesn’t get sufficient
food. In the last few months of this year, the number of death due to
hunger are over 1.7 million. Statistics showed that around 9 million
people die annually in hunger. Out of the total fatalities, there are 6
million children die in hunger annually worldwide.

According to the WHO statistics, “around 7 million people die every year
from exposure to fine particles in polluted air that lead to diseases
such as stroke, heart disease, lung cancer, chronic obstructive
pulmonary diseases and respiratory infections, including pneumonia.” 91%
of total populations are living in polluted air.

There over 3.5 million people die every year from water-related
diseases. The painful reality of this number is that over 2.2 million of
those deaths are children.

There are around 800,000 people committing suicide every year on this
planet. This meant, as per WHO documented, one person, committing
suicide in every 40 seconds. According to the WHO, “Suicide occurs
throughout the lifespan and is the second leading cause of death among
15-29-year-olds globally.”

Every year natural disasters kill around 90000 people and affect close
to 160 million people worldwide. Natural disasters include earthquakes,
tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, landslides, hurricanes, floods, wildfires,
heatwaves and droughts.

Approximately 1.35 million people die each year as a result of road
traffic crashes. 93% of the world’s fatalities on the roads occur in
low- and middle-income countries, even though these countries have
approximately 60% of the world’s vehicles. Road traffic injuries are the
leading cause of death for children and young adults aged 5-29 years.

The harmful use of alcohol results in 3.3 million deaths each year. Some
31 million persons have drug use disorders. Almost 11 million people
inject drugs, of which 1.3 million are living with HIV, 5.5 million with
hepatitis C, and 1 million with both HIV and hepatitis C.

A new United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) study revealed
that some 464000 people across the world were killed in homicides in
2017, surpassing by far the 89000 killed in armed conflicts in the same
period. The study shows that the overall number of people who suffered a
violent death as a result of homicide increased in the past quarter of a
century, from 395542 in 1992 to 464000 in 2017.

The studies revealed that 35% of women worldwide faced some kind of
sexual harassments in their lifetime. Only 10% of those victims will
seek help from law enforcement agencies. UN Women have shed light on the
horrendous situation of the women in their reports. “It is estimated
that of the 87000 women who were intentionally killed in 2017 globally,
more than half (50000- 58 per cent) were killed by intimate partners or
family members, meaning that 137 women across the world are killed by a
member of their own family every day. More than a third (30000) of the
women intentionally killed in 2017 were killed by their current or
former intimate partner.” Unfortunately, sexual harassments faced by men
were not official countered but daily newspaper reports shedding light
on the grim situation of this putrid criminal act.

The list is going on and on and on. The question is why poor people are
suffering and their urgent crisis is being ignored? Why is it less
important for key players? Are they sons and daughters of lesser-God?

Alas! Do we have any substantive plan to address those immediate
challenges, though the United Nations and other related bodies that have
introduced the Sustainable Development Goals to be achieved? Our
trajectory situation is much deeper than we think.

The world population could be too big to feed itself in 30 years from
now. According to Edward Wilson, socio-biologist, Harvard University,
“If everyone agreed to become vegetarian, leaving little or nothing for
livestock, the present 1.4 billion hectares of arable land (3.5 billion
acres) would support about 10 billion people.” The food crisis is coming
much faster than the climate change, he has warned in his book “The
Coming Famine”.

We don’t have sufficient seafood to cater to the market 28 years from
now. “The world’s oceans could be virtually emptied of fish by 2048. A
study shows that if nothing changes, we will run out of seafood in 2048.
If we want to preserve the ecosystems of the sea, change is needed.”

Drinking water is another major challenge we are facing. Most of the
countries are already victims of serious drinking water crisis but
unfortunately, most people are keeping on discussing what caused damage
to drinking water. If this continued, the planet will be out of drinking
water in 20 years from now.

We don’t have a constructive plan with decisive actions to protect our
rainforests. In 80 years from now, remaining rainforests on the planet
will be annihilated. “In the year 2000, half of the world’s rainforest
had been wiped out. If we continue the rate of destruction, the
rainforests will be gone at the end of the century, according to NASA.”

There are 152 million children between the ages of 5 and 17 working as
child labourers. Reports suggested, “The UN Sustainable Development
Goals include ending child labour in all its forms by 2025.” But the
goal is slipping. According to the International Labor Organisation’s
report, “Ending child labour by 2025”, “maintaining the current rate of
progress would leave 121 million children still engaged in child labour
in 2025”.

Do you know that there are more people in slavery today than at any
other time in human history? The reports suggest the gruesome reality of
slavery by noting that, “40 million people are living in slavery right
now”. Out of this 40 million, 10 millions are children.

We are ending our resources, and replacing them with wastes. “Every year
we dump a massive 2.12 billion tons of waste. If all this waste was put
on trucks they would go around the world 24 times.” Five plastic garbage
patches across the world’s oceans are mounting. It is a matter of a few
years where there will be oceans without fishes. “The UN estimates that
51 trillion microplastic particles are present in oceans. That’s 500
times more than the total number of stars in our galaxy.”

Bottom line is that we are running out of everything, but we still pay
less serious attention to the true crises. Our policymakers and key
players are continued to bark up the wrong trees. Our selfish
motivations will not give any chance to future generation to live
happily but suffer from unpredictable scenarios. The world requires
global disciplinary action to prevent the looming danger.

But, who cares? Today the entire world is paying attention to COVID-19,
which is a lesser danger than many issues in our front yards. True,
COVID-19 is not a thing of little seriousness, but it still can be
tracked and cured in a collective effort based on scientific actions by
leaving it to the experts to take required actions. Unfortunately,
unnecessary panic and unreasonable doubt are widespread.  Now it is a
battle between COVID-19 vs. Panic-2020. Panic-2020 is more dangerous and
vicious than the COVID-19.  Unfortunately this has created ambiguity
while preventing the opportunity to understand the true picture of
COVID-19.  Is this how are we going to end the world?

/(The views expressed in this article are the writer’s own and do not
reflect the official policy or position of any other organisation or
employer he is affiliated to.)/

/Nilantha Ilangamuwa is a Sri Lankan born author. He was the-editor of
Sri Lanka Guardian, an online daily newspaper. He was also the editor of
the Torture: Asian and Global Perspectives, bi-monthly print magazine,
co-published by the Danish Institute Against Torture ( DIGNITY) based in
Copenhagen, Denmark./