[News] Arundhati Roy on Delhi violence: ‘This is our version of the coronavirus. We are sick’

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Mar 1 19:45:30 EST 2020

https://scroll.in/article/954805/arundhati-roy-on-delhi-violence-this-is-our-version-of-the-coronavirus-we-are-sick
Arundhati
Roy on Delhi violence: ‘This is our version of the coronavirus. We are sick’
Arundhati Roy - March 1, 2020
------------------------------

Beloved friends, comrades and my fellow writers,

This place where we are gathered today is only a short bus ride away from
where four days ago a fascist mob, fired up by speeches made by members of
the Ruling Party, backed up and actively assisted by the police, assured of
round the clock support by a vast section of the electronic mass media, and
comforted by the belief that the courts would do nothing to come in their
way – mounted an armed, murderous attack on Muslims in the working class
colonies of North East Delhi.

The attack had been in the air for a while, so people were somewhat
prepared, and so defended themselves. Markets, shops, homes, mosques and
vehicles have been burnt down. The streets are full of stones and debris.
The hospitals are full of the wounded and dying. The morgues are full of
the dead. Both Muslim and Hindu, including a policeman and a young staffer
of the Intelligence Bureau. Yes. People on both sides have shown themselves
capable of horrifying brutality as well as unbelievable courage and
kindness.

However, there can be no equivalence here. None of this alters the fact
that the attack was begun by lumpen mobs chanting “Jai Shri Ram” backed by
the apparatus of this now nakedly fascist state. Notwithstanding these
slogans, this is not what people like to label a Hindu-Muslim “riot”. It is
a manifestation of the ongoing battle between fascists and anti-fascists –
in which Muslims are the first among the Fascists’ “enemies”. To call it a
riot or a “danga”, or “Left” versus “Right” or even “Right” versus “Wrong”
as many are doing, is dangerous and obfuscatory.

We have all seen the videos of the police standing by and sometimes
participating in the arson. We have seen them smashing CCTV cameras, just
as they did when they vandalised the Jamia Millia Islamia University
library on December 15. We have seen them beat wounded Muslim men as they
lay piled up against each other and force them to sing the national anthem.
We know that one of those young men is dead. All the dead, wounded and
devastated, Muslim as well as Hindu are victims of this regime headed by
Narendra Modi, our nakedly fascist Prime Minister who himself is no
stranger to being at the helm of affairs in a state when 18 years ago a
massacre on a much larger scale went on for weeks.

The anatomy of this particular conflagration will be studied for years to
come. But the local detail will only be a matter of historical record
because the ripples based on hateful rumours fuelled on the social media
have begun to eddy outwards and we can already smell more blood on the
breeze. Although there have been no more killings in North Delhi, yesterday
(February 29) saw mobs of people in Central Delhi chanting the slogan that
built up to the attacks: “Desh ke Gaddaron ko, Goli maaron saalon ko.”

Only a few days ago. the Delhi High Court Judge, Justice Muralidharan was
furious with the Delhi Police for having taken no action against Kapil
Mishra, former BJP MLA candidate who had earlier too used it as an election
slogan. On the night of February 26, the judge was given midnight orders to
take up his new assignment in the Punjab High Court. Kapil Mishra is back
on the streets chanting the same slogan. It can now be used until further
notice. Fun and games with judges isn’t new. We know the story about
Justice Loya. We may have forgotten the story of Babu Bajrangi, convicted
of participating in the killing 96 Muslims in Naroda Patiya, in Gujarat in
2002. Listen to him on YouTube