[News] Breathtaking murals for justice proliferate on the streets of downtown Oakland

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jun 14 11:31:16 EDT 2020

https://www.7x7.com/downtown-oakland-murals-black-lives-matter-2646168310.html?fbclid=IwAR1zVkCA7omWdPuzi2ug1jwHjQnKVHlC-YnoJ6J5MAJonjI81OvGrkoCmV4

*Breathtaking murals for justice proliferate on the streets of downtown
Oakland *
By
Emma Webster <https://www.7x7.com/u/emmawebster>
Jun 12, 2020
Art has long been used as a form of protest, and nowhere is this truer
today, perhaps, than in downtown Oakland, where breathtaking murals cover
nearly every storefront on Broadway.

Local artists—both professionals and members of the community—are painting
messages of justice.

Last week, an epic yellow "Black Lives Matter" painted across two blocks
leading to the White House in Washington D.C. inspired similar murals
across the country
<https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-secret-project-that-led-to-black-lives-matter-murals-coast-to-coast>,
including one in Oakland that spans three blocks of 15th Street. The
project was completed by several local artists, as well as many community
members and curious passersby, and was a collaboration between Endeavors
Oakland <https://www.instagram.com/endeavors_oakland/>, the self-described
community arm of Oakland's Good Mother Gallery
<https://goodmothergallery.com/>, and the Bay Area Mural Program
<https://www.thebamp.org/> (BAMP). A GoFundMe
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/endeavors-year-1-project-rebels-with-a-cause>
is still up to help pay the artists involved with the project.

Painted portraits of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor also now grace the
walls of downtown Oakland, alongside words of protest and empowerment.
Check out some of the murals transforming Oakland below; to see them all,
don your mask and take a walk through the streets and see the art in action
yourself.
"George Floyd Lives Forever," by DeredWRK

Local artist DeredWRK <https://www.instagram.com/deredwrk/> is behind
several of the murals painted in downtown Oakland this week, including this
one of George Floyd.

"Painting these murals makes me feel more like an artist than I ever have
before," he said. "I feel like I have a voice and a purpose. The portrait I
did of George Floyd is terrible. It was rushed and the only reference I had
was on my phone, but that's not important—the message is, the reminder is.
What has been going on in our country since its inception is disgusting. We
need serious change, and I hope my art will help remind people every day."
"Indigenous and Third World Peoples for Black Lives," by Cece Carpio and
Indal Rubin

Local artist Cece Carpio <https://www.instagram.com/cececarpio/> is
responsible for organizing and assisting with several of the new murals in
downtown Oakland.

"This is how we protest. This is how we know how to give radical love for
the black communities whose liberation is directly tied to ours,
acknowledging that their fight paved for us to be here to fight," she
writes on Instagram. "These are all work in progress, as we are in progress
to dismantle white supremacy. We want to show that we're stronger together
and that we are here to fight. In solidarity and through this fire, we will
rise."
"The Black Womyn Is God," by Timothy B.

"The Black Womyn Is God" was painted by Oakland muralist and designer Timothy
B <https://www.instagram.com/timothyb_art/> next to a Wells Fargo ATM on
12th Street in Oakland.

"It feels good to be a Black artist from Oakland paying homage to Black
people and shedding light on our beauty, our strength and spirit. My goal
for coming out here was to empower my community to stay strong, plan and
mobilize toward our elevation."

You can buy Timothy B.'s works on Etsy
<https://www.etsy.com/shop/TimothyBArts?ref=seller-platform-mcnav>.
"Shut it Down," by Twin Walls Mural Company

Bay Area artists Elaine Chu and Marina Perez-Wong of Twin Walls Mural
Company <http://www.twinwallsmuralcompany.com/> have painted many massive
murals around Oakland and San Francisco. According to their Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/twinwallsmuralcompany/>, they put this one
together in a matter of hours.
Downtown Oakland Mural by Hungry Ghost Productions

(Courtesy of @davidburke_studio <https://www.instagram.com/p/CBV8kH0hFXK/>)

Located on Broadway at Grand, this beauty by Joevic Yeban
<https://www.instagram.com/joevicyeban/?hl=en> and Dorias Brannon
<https://www.instagram.com/dorias_brannon/?hl=en> and David Burke
<https://www.instagram.com/davidburke_studio/?hl=en> of Hungry Ghost
Productions was painted from a photo taken by documentary photographer
Kerem Yücel at a vigil for George Floyd in Minneapolis.
"Fight Power, Not People," by GirlMobb

Girl Mobb has painted several statement-making murals around Oakland and
also has an Etsy <https://www.etsy.com/shop/GirlMobbShop> shop. Follow the
artist on Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/girlmobb/>.
"Justice for Breonna Taylor," by @KathyDoesArtStuff

On 12th Street in Oakland, this tribute to Breonna Taylor by artist
@kathydoesartstuff <https://www.instagram.com/kathydoesartstuff/> honors
Breonna Taylor's life and aims to "emphasize that Black women are
especially targeted and most vulnerable to the systems of oppression in our
world," the artist writes on Instagram. "Her murderers have not been
punished for their crimes, so we need to keep this same energy and even
elevate it for justice for Black lives, Black women, and Black queer and
trans folks."
"Black Lives Matter," by Skyline High School Students

Mural by Skyline High School students in downtown Oakland.
Black Panther Party Mural Project by AeroSoul, at at Betti Ono Gallery

This mural is a collaboration piece in a series developed by AeroSoul
<https://www.instagram.com/aerosoul_ig/>, an Oakland community institution
promoting youth advocacy through art education. AeroSoul has completed
multiple murals, each detailing individual points from the Black Panther
Party Ten Point Program. The mural above outlines point seven, and was
painted by artists Refa One <https://www.instagram.com/refa1love/>, Madow
Futur <https://www.instagram.com/madowfutur/>, Aeos One
<https://www.instagram.com/aeosone/>, and MWOP
<https://www.instagram.com/malibyers/>. For more information on the project
and to donate, visit their GoFundMe
<https://www.gofundme.com/f/blackpanthermural> page.

The mural appears at the storefront of Betti Ono
<https://squareup.com/store/betti-ono>, a cultural arts venue, gallery, and
store owned and led by black women. Their mission is to build power through
culture. Follow them on Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/bettiono/?hl=en>.
"Don't Kneel on Me,' by Illuminaries

A mural with the words "don't kneel on me" in downtown Oakland, by artist
group Illuminaries. Follow them on Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/illuminaries/>.
Murals at Studio Noir and Muse Shop, Downtown Oakland

Artists from tattoo and makeup shop Studio Noir Oakland
<https://www.instagram.com/studionoiroakland/> painted the storefronts of
Studio Noir and neighbor Muse Shop <https://www.instagram.com/musetheshop/>.

On their Instagram, Studio Noir Oakland stated, "We've been spending the
last couple days getting some gorgeous murals up outside our shop where a
lot of protests against police brutality have taken place. It's been so
heartwarming to see so many artists outside showing solidarity."