[News] Eviction Notice: Keystone XL & Dakota Access Pipeline Must Vacate Oceti Sakowin Lands

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 24 17:02:10 EDT 2020

https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/email/newsletter/1414633142

EVICTION NOTICE: KEYSTONE XL & DAKOTA ACCESS PIPELINE MUST VACATE OCETI
SAKOWIN LANDS

 July 24, 2020
-------------------------

This week the Indigenous people of Oceti Sakowin have begun the eviction
process for the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines from our
homelands. This is an invitation for our allies and other Indigenous
peoples from Oceti Sakowin to stand with us.

The Lakota, Nakota, and Dakota people have lived on these lands since
time immemorial, long before the current settlers landed on Turtle
Island. Lakota origins stories talk about a time when our ancestors
emerged from the Black Hills, He Sapa, the center of everything that is.
We have clung to these lands despite the genocide imposed upon us, even
when the settler colonial state signed treaties with us that the
according to their constitution states "treaties are the supreme law of
the land."

  The letter is as follows:

Eviction Notice:
DAKOTA ACCESS PIPELINE & KXL

  We evict KXL and DAPL from our Lakota lands.

  Indigenous Peoples have lived on these lands since time immemorial,
predating the Western concept of the nation state.  According to our
history, we emerged from the Black Hills, He Sapa, the center of
everything that is.

  The Oceti Sakowin and our allies signed treaties with the United
States Government, which according to the US  Constitution, "treaties
are the supreme law of the land." The Ft. Laramie Treaty of 1868
acknowledges the sovereignty of the Oceti Sakowin, legally known as The
Sioux Nation of Indians, over our lands "as long as the grass shall grow
and the rivers will flow."

  The Treaty states, "If bad men among the whites, or among other people
subject to the authority of the United States, shall commit any wrong
upon the person or property of the Indians, the United States will, upon
proof made to the agent and forwarded to the Commissioner of Indian
Affairs at Washington City, proceed at once to cause the offender to be
arrested and punished according to the laws of the United States, and
also reimburse the injured person for the loss sustained."

  Whereas corporations have fought hard to gain personhood, notably the
right to freedom of religion (Burrell v Hobby Lobby) and freedom of
political speech (Citizens United). We acknowledge the corporate
personhood of the entities and owners of the Dakota Access Pipeline and
the Keystone XL pipeline in so far as they are the "bad men" mentioned
in the Ft. Laramie Treaty.

  They attacked our people with dogs at Standing Rock, destroyed the
graves of Indigenous ancestors, threaten our source of drinking water
with deadly contamination, they use our water to build these pipelines,
they bring their man camps that come with drugs and terrible violence,
they build their pipelines across our lands without our consent.

  We hereby evict KXL and DAPL from our lands using our treaty rights.
We also stand on our inherent rights as Indigenous people that are ours
under Natural Law.

  We invoke our ancestors to be with us now, for our water, for our
land, and the generations yet unborn.

Will you join us?

Mark K. Tilsen, Wahupa Luta, Oyupe Oglala Lakota