[News] California's Indigenous History Is a Story of Genocide and Resistance

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 15 14:51:12 EST 2020

https://truthout.org/articles/californias-indigenous-history-is-a-story-of-genocide-and-resistance/

  California's Indigenous History Is a Story of Genocide and Resistance

Chris Steele - January 12, 2020

Every inch of North and South America is Indigenous land. With
Thanksgiving in the rearview mirror, its mythological history
<https://truthout.org/articles/thanksgiving-is-dedicated-to-erasing-the-ruthlessness-of-english-settlers/>
still needs to be debunked, and a true discussion of the violence of
settler colonialism and empire needs to happen. Award-winning historian
Benjamin Madley is author of /An American Genocide: The United States
and the California Indian Catastrophe, 1846-1873/
<https://truthout.org/articles/does-the-mass-murder-of-indigenous-americans-in-california-qualify-as-genocide/>.
In this interview, Madley discusses the genocide of Indigenous people in
California, as well as stories of resistance, trauma and commemoration.

*Chris Steele:* *The main thesis of your book is that you name settler
colonialism in the U.S. for what it was, which was full-on genocide,
where calls for extermination were made and committed. Your research is
meticulous; can you speak about the implications of your research that
shows that genocide was not only committed by vigilantes, but by the
state government and the federal government? Can you give a summary of
how all those topics interconnected in California?*

*Benjamin Madley: *When I was a graduate student at Oxford, I came
across reports of massacres in California, and this connected for me
with the stories I’d heard as a boy growing up in a little town called
Happy Camp on the Klamath River in far northern California, where Karuk
and Shasta people had told me about the killings that took place there.
I’d always wondered if those were localized massacres or if they
happened elsewhere in the state. What I found in the research is that in
general, California’s Indigenous population plunged perhaps from 150,000
people to just 30,000 survivors between 1846 and 1870 and certainly,
diseases, dislocation and starvation caused many of these deaths, but
what I found was this was not the near-annihilation of a people simply
based upon the unavoidable result of two civilizations coming into
contact. It was, in fact, genocide, sanctioned and facilitated by
California officials.

I’m referring very specifically to the definition that is put forth in
the UN Genocide Convention of 1948. In order for a prosecutor to
successfully convict a defendant of the crime of genocide, they have to
prove two things beyond a reasonable doubt. The first thing that they
have to prove is that the defendant evinced intent to destroy in whole
or in part a national ethnic, racial or religious group as such; and
second, they have to prove that the defendant committed at least one of
the five genocidal acts specified in the convention. These include
killing members of the group, causing serious bodily or mental harm to
members of the group, deliberately inflicting harm on the group,
conditions of life calculated to bring about physical destruction in
whole or in part, imposing measures intended to prevent birth within the
group, and forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

When people speak about genocide, they’re usually speaking about a
state-sponsored policy, and when California’s first legislature convened
in 1850, one of the very first things that it did was to ban all Native
Americans from voting, and then they banned Indigenous people with
one-half of Native blood or more from giving evidence for or against
whites in most civil and criminal cases, and they denied Indigenous
people the right to serve as jurors. Then they banned Native Americans
from serving as attorneys and justices, so when you think about what
that means, in combination, these laws largely shut Indigenous people
out of participation in (and protection by) the state legal system, so
this amounted to a virtual grant of impunity to would-be Native-killers.
That’s kind of the first stage, and that’s similar to some other
genocides — that targeted victim groups are denied protection or
participation in the legal system and are stripped of any political
rights as well.

Then in that same year, 1850, the government legalized unfree Indigenous
labor; this led to a truly genocidal slave system. It had multiple
genocidal impacts. First of all, when slave raiders would arrive at a
village, they would typically kill anyone who resisted, anyone who tried
to run away, and many of the older men and women, and then people would
be marched away to be sold, and anybody who tried to escape or resisted
during that process also was usually killed. Once people got to the
place where they were going to be sold, they were scattered, so it would
be very difficult for the community to reproduce itself either
biologically or socially, and finally, when people reached the places
where they would work as unfree laborers they were often treated as
disposable and worked to death.

Between 1850 and 1870, Los Angeles’s Indigenous population fell from
3,693 to just 219 survivors. Slavery played a huge part in this
genocide, but there was also a state-sponsored killing machine, and it
was built by state legislators, so what they did was to authorize no
fewer than two dozen separate state militia expeditions against
California Native people between 1850 and 1861 which killed at least
1,340. They paid for this by passing three different bills in the 1850s
that raised over one-and-a-half million dollars — a huge amount of money
at this time in history, both for past and future militia operations. It
was important because this policy transcended the number of people that
it killed directly, by demonstrating that the state government would not
punish killers but instead actually reward them.

These militia expeditions and the policies that supported them helped
inspire huge numbers of vigilantes to go out on their own killing
sprees, and they took the lives of an absolute minimum 6,460 Indigenous
people in California between 1846 and 1873. The U.S. Army and its
auxiliaries also killed at least 1,680 Native Americans in California
during these years, and that institution was of course directly funded
by Congress, but Congress also reimbursed the state of California for
most of the money that it spent on hunting Indigenous people through its
militias.

*I wanted to take a step back and look at the Indigenous culture that
you speak about as well. To quote you, “California stands out as one of
the most linguistically diverse places on Earth.” Can you speak more
about the significance of this?*

To me, California on the eve of contact with Europeans is this amazingly
exuberant clamor of many different Native American economies, languages,
tribal nations and individuals, and we know that Indigenous people had
worshipped and loved and traded and fought in California for at least
12,000 to 15,000 years. It’s a very diverse series of economies. For
example, if you look at the region west of the Sierra Nevada Mountains,
one of the keystone foods would be the acorn, but if you go east of the
Sierra Nevadas and east of the Cascade Range, it’s likely to be the
piñon nut or pine nut.

Political organizations, likewise, extraordinarily varied. With some
tribal nations having systems of inherited chiefdoms, some of them have
one leader or multiple leaders, and it’s also very decentralized — so
very different from what we think of as an Anglo-American system of
government — and it’s also a very densely populated place. Scholars
estimate very conservatively that at the time the Spaniards first
arrived in California in 1769 to begin colonizing the land, there were
at least 310,000 Indigenous people living here, and they were organized
into as many as 500 or more different individual political units,
individual groupings.

It was a very complicated kaleidoscope to look into it as a researcher,
and even today it’s extraordinarily complex. There are 109 federally
recognized California tribes, but also scores of other tribes that are
not recognized by Washington, D.C., but which are recognized by the
state of California. Then there are many other tribes which are
recognized neither by the federal government nor by the state
government, but which are currently seeking recognition by both. In
California, Congress would summarily terminate tribal nations as tribal
nations, and many of those tribes that were terminated are still
struggling to be reinstated by the federal government.

*In your book, you’re very meticulous about showing every life that was
lost that you could document. *

Anyone who has ever lost a loved one has grief, and when you think about
that grief and you multiply it by hundreds and by thousands and by tens
of thousands, then you begin to understand why it’s so important to
document the loss of each and every life.

When I was a graduate student first working on this back at Yale, I was
walking through the rotunda — the famous space all in white marble with
plinths that record the names of every Yale graduate, women and men who
have fallen in all the wars that the United States has been involved in,
and its British colonial antecedents since Yale began in 1701, and I
stood there for a long time one morning thinking, /Will there ever be a
monument like this to all of the California Indigenous people killed
between 1846 and 1873?/ I hope that one day there will, but I thought to
myself that morning, /I can do something like that by honoring the
fallen, at least on paper./

In the hardback edition of my book, there are nearly 200 pages of
appendices, which document every killing of a California Native American
by a non-Indigenous person and vice versa. This is my small contribution
to creating a memorial. Not as spectacular of course as Maya Lin’s
Vietnam memorial in Washington, D.C., but it was my attempt to try to
commemorate the fallen, and perhaps on a more practical (less
philosophical) level, I hope that it is a useful research tool for
educators, for students and for tribal citizens who wish to know more
about this history, because I list where possible the names of the
fallen, the date on which their lives were taken from them, where the
event took place, and the sources where I found the information. There’s
a great deal of data there for someone who is interested in learning
more about what happened.

*As far as Indigenous resistance in the book, regarding 1829, you write,
“By repeatedly burning buildings, killing Spaniards, Mexicans and their
allies and escaping in large numbers, California [Indigenous people]
established a tradition of resistance to colonialism and helped to pave
the way for their own emancipation.” Is that what your next book is
about as well?*

The next book is a bit different, it’s about the gold rush, but it is
more about survival and about agency. We don’t know a great deal about
[Indigenous resistance] because people often lost their lives while
resisting. There are many stories in this book of Native American men
and women who fought back to buy time for children and elders and loved
ones to escape, and many of them made the ultimate sacrifice in order to
facilitate those escapes. When we think about the resistance, it was
courageous and incredible. You have to remember that relatively small
numbers of Indigenous people in California were being pursued by
relatively large numbers of state militiamen, regular United States Army
soldiers and sometimes paid scout bounty hunters, and they found
incredible ways to resist.

The dark cloud of genocide hangs over California history, and yet, if
there is a silver lining, it’s that triumph of survival against really
impossible odds. It’s the preservation of languages and cultural
traditions despite not only the genocide of 1846 to 1873, but the
educational assault that followed hard on its heels, whereby children
were taken from their homes to be educated in boarding schools up and
down the state; but there, too, Indigenous people resisted. They
resisted by withholding their children from enrolling; children who were
enrolled resisted by running away and escaping back home. Indigenous
students set fire to the boarding schools in which they were held, so
that resistance continued, and that resistance also was part of the
impetus for closing some of those schools.

*As of right now, we’re seeing a rise in right-wing leaders across the
world that spout racial epithets, and these things can quickly slip into
violence and genocide. As a historian, how do you see this current
moment and what’s going on?*

One thing that I believe quite strongly is that there is no safe level
of racism. As you yourself just said, it is a slippery and surprisingly
quick ride from “casual” racism to institutionalized racism, to race
laws, to state-sponsored violence against certain groups, and then to
genocide, and that’s one thing that I feel quite certain about after my
decades of studying in this field. I do think that at least for now, we
still live in a democracy. One of the important ways that an educator
can combat these problems is by telling the truth about the past. When
people begin to understand how this kind of awful history has unfolded
again and again around the world (many times in our own lifespan),
people, I think, will become more cautious, and they may develop more
empathy and a sense that it is a quick link between rhetoric and actual
violence.

*What are California Indigenous tribes proposing to commemorate these
genocides and even the topic of what reparations should be brought?**I
know this should be spoken about by Indigenous communities, but based on
your research and your conversations, what are your thoughts on this and
memorials for Indigenous populations?*

I think there are multiple tracks to commemoration. One is
state-sponsored commemoration, and of course, here in California our own
governor, Gavin Newsom, has recently publicly apologized for this
genocide and he has also called for this genocide to be included in our
state public school curricula. That’s one track for education. There
have been no major public calls that I’m aware of on a state level for
commemoration, but Newsom did recently change on a statewide level
“Columbus Day” to “Indigenous Peoples’ Day.”

Commemoration in terms of plaques and monuments tends to happen on a
more local level, but there are very few plaques and memorials
commemorating massacres in California, and where they are in place, they
are often quite controversial, and sometimes an old plaque stands
commemorating something as a battle next to a new plaque which
commemorates it as a massacre. That said, you raised a very important
point, which is that Native communities in California are themselves
commemorating these things, both publicly and outside of the public eye.
There are, for example, candlelight vigils in places like Duluwat Island
in Humboldt Bay off the coast of the city of Eureka. Eureka recently
gave that island back in its entirety to the Wiyot people. There is a
candlelight vigil that happens every year to commemorate a huge massacre
that took place up in Del Norte county.

There are also walks and runs; for example, there is a walk that happens
each year to commemorate the Konkow Maidu Trail of Tears from the area
around Chico moving west toward Round Valley Reservation in southern
Mendocino County. There are a number of different things going on, but
of course there’s much more that needs to be done.

Pomo folks and Wappo folks up in Lake County, California, have tried to
use [petitions to garner] ballot measures to get the name of Kelseyville
changed (which is named after slave owner Andrew Kelsey), as it’s quite
a painful name for a lot of people. That has not yet been successful,
but towns named after some of the more obviously genocidal governors
<https://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-newsom-native-american-apology-20190620-story.html>
from this period have been changed. It’s an ongoing process but it’s
something that happens, that all of us can be involved in, because at
least for now, we’re still a democracy, so people can be involved in
changing their local education system and they can also be involved in
political movements to change place names.

/This interview //first appeared/
<https://timetalks.libsyn.com/benjamin-madley-on-the-herero-and-nama-california-indians-genocide-resistance-trauma-and-survival>/in
audio form as a segment on the author’s podcast, “Time Talks.” It has
been lightly edited here for clarity and length. /