[News] Support the Preservation of People's Resistance

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 3 13:35:52 EST 2020

Alternate text
Your Donation Means So Much to Us - Thanks for your Support!!
<http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>

Winter 2020

Dear Friends,

We hope the end of 2020 finds you healthy and safe. 2020 has proven a
challenging year to stay grounded. Amidst a global pandemic, rebellions
against state violence across the world and the all-consuming US
presidential election, we’ve endeavored to remain steadfast in building
our long-term sustainability while continuing to create projects that
highlight our core values of anti-imperialism, international solidarity
and resistance behind bars.

Alternate text
<https://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC44_scans/44.AlcatrazNewsletter.1.1.1970.pdf>

*Preparing for the Next Twenty Years: *

Over the past 21 years, the Freedom Archives has become internationally
known as a resource for collections of recorded sound, video, and
documents related to social justice movements. Our walls, shelves, and
bookcases are literally jam packed with materials – and as we’ve
continued to acquire such materials it has become abundantly clear that
we require more space than the 500+ square feet we are in. Furthermore,
as we continue to expand our staff capacity and public programming,
we’ll need a larger physical space for organizers, educators, groups,
and classes to visit and engage with movement history – one that also
prioritizes ADA accessibility and remains reachable by public transit.
Over the past several months we’ve strategized with a community
consulting organization, reached out to larger donors and family
foundations and started preliminary exploration for a new space,
hopefully close to our current home. Our work has always been a
collective effort. Are you able to increase your donation this year? Do
you know someone else who might consider making a generous donation to
our building fund?  Let us know and we are happy to share more details!
In any case we want to embark on the next step of our journey together
with you.

Your Donation Means So Much to Us  - Thanks for your Support!!
<http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>
Alternate text
<https://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=1035>

*Focus on the Third World:*

Re-orienting our focus to the Third World – we’d like to announce the
digitization of over 50 issues in our collection of Tricontinental – a
Cuban periodical founded in 1967 by the now inactive Organization of
Solidarity of the Peoples of Africa, Asia and Latin America (OSPAAAL).
Tricontinental covers a wide range of topics, from national liberation
movements, to capitalism’s exploitation of natural resources, and to
revolutionary art from across the Third World. Combining sharp, detailed
yet accessible political analysis with stunning artwork and design - the
goal of Tricontinental was to challenge imperialism and create
international solidarity with left political movements in Africa, Asia
and Latin America. This collection is an amazing resource to increase
our understanding of the fabric of revolutionary movements across the
world in the 1960s and 1970s. A huge thanks goes to Rob McBride for his
invaluable assistance with this project.

*Welcoming a New Staff Member:*

One of the things we’re most excited about is the growth of our staff!
We want to officially welcome Danielle Luz Belanger to our crew. She
joined us over the summer as an Associate Archivist. She is a creative
community organizer who embraces internationalism, collectivism, and
radical futurity. Danielle has already brought a fresh perspective and
energy to the Archives as well as made sizable contributions to our
project and archival work including the Marin Courthouse Rebellion
project page and digitizing our Tricontinental holdings. We first met
Danielle in 2018 when she interned at the Freedom Archives and we’re
thrilled that she’s now a part of our team.

/"Incorporating groundbreaking art and design to engage content ranging
from analysis to interviews and poetry, this periodical provides a
memorable glimpse into global revolutionary culture spanning the 1960s
to 1980s and beyond. Contributing to the extensive digitization of this
collection has been a special privilege."/

– Danielle Luz Belanger

/Tricon had a big impact on me when I first saw it in San Francisco in
1972. It provided inspiring glimpses into the growing internationalism
centered around Viet Nam and extending throughout Asia, Africa, and the
Americas. This project has given me deeper insight into the national
liberation struggles, revolutions, and peoples’ movements that shape
today’s global contradictions. There is no better single source for
understanding how we got here./

– Rob McBride

Alternate text
<https://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=1035>

*Other News:*

As always, we continue to process new archival items
<https://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC44_scans/44.AlcatrazNewsletter.1.1.1970.pdf>,
provide materials for books, films and articles, and participate in
online presentations. We created a dynamic media page
<https://freedomarchives.org/projects/the-50th-anniversary-of-the-august-7th-marin-county-courthouse-rebellion/>
about the Marin Courthouse Rebellion and hosted a webinar
<https://vimeo.com/457048716> commemorating the 49th anniversary of the
Attica Prison Rebellion. We also want to acknowledge the parole of
(formerly held) political prisoner Jalil Muntaqim after 49 years behind
bars. Jalil is an old friend of the Archives and was the last member of
the San Francisco 8 still incarcerated. Welcome Home Jalil!

Thank you for your continued support. Consider donating online, becoming
a monthly sustainer or send us a check in the enclosed envelope. May you
and yours continue to remain healthy and engaged!

Alternate text
Alternate text
Your Donation Means So Much to Us  - Thanks for your Support!!
<http://freedomarchives.org/donation/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/freedomarchives> 	Vimeo
<https://vimeo.com/user4902578> 	Custom
<https://freedomarchives.bandcamp.com/>