[News] Amidst Blockade and Spiking Cases Venezuela Welcomes 230 Cuban Doctors to Fight Covid-19

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 18 12:02:45 EDT 2020

https://orinocotribune.com/amidst-blockade-and-spiking-cases-venezuela-welcomes-230-cuban-doctors-to-fight-covid-19/
Amidst
Blockade and Spiking Cases Venezuela Welcomes 230 Cuban Doctors to Fight
Covid-19August 17, 2020
------------------------------

Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza thanked the 230 Cuban doctors who arrived in
Venezuela on Sunday night, August 16; who are added to the health care
initiative to combat Covid-19 in Venezuela.

This new contingent joins more than 21 thousand collaborators in health
matters that work in Venezuelan territory as part of the existing
cooperation agreements between Cuba and Venezuela.

Upon receiving the new contingent of health professionals, Minister Arreaza
mentioned how the bilateral solidarity mechanism breaks with the blockade
imposed by the United States government against Cuba, Venezuela and any
country that appeals to international solidarity.

*“It is incredible that the government of the United States intends to
sanction those countries that receive Cuban doctors,” he said.*

In that sense, he reflected on the double standards that Washington
practices in preventing peoples from working together for their own
well-being and development.

*“The ruling elite that makes war, that sends weapons, that promotes death,
violence, that finances terrorism, intends to sanction those governments
that take care of their peoples, call Cuba and ask for solidarity and
scientific knowledge. That shows us that we are on the right side of
history.”*

*Brotherhood and cooperation*
Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza stressed that in the face of difficulties,
Cuba and Venezuela will get closer and closer to find solutions and joint
strategies to overcome the obstacles imposed by the US government.

He said that “junctures like this one, of an unexpected, terrible pandemic,
allow us to continue deepening those ties and showing US imperialism that
nothing and no one can make our peoples separate, our revolutions separate
from each other.”

In that sense, he recalled that thanks to the initiative of Hugo Chávez and
Fidel Castro, materialized in cooperation agreements, “it is already part
of our daily life, of our life, to know that your side, in your
neighborhood, in your town, in your village, in your neighborhood, a few
meters away there is a Cuban doctor, a coach, a nurse or a collaborator in
education missions.”

He added that there are several months of resistance left, while the tests
for the application of vaccines against Covid-19 progress and he stressed
that until that happens, Venezuelan health professionals have the
collaboration of medical personnel from Cuba.

*“We count on you doctors, nurses. Receive the gratitude of Venezuela from
the depths of our hearts,” he said.*

*Heroic example*
“I lost count of how many millions of Venezuelan lives have been saved
thanks to Cuban health personnel,” said Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge
Arreaza upon receiving the 230 doctors who arrived from the Caribbean
island.

He expressed his gratitude on behalf of President Nicolás Maduro and
reiterated that there is no award or recognition that values the human
contribution that the solidarity and cooperation of Cuba represents,
especially in health.

“In Venezuela you are heroes and heroines,” were the words of Foreign
Minister Arreaza to the medical staff when he welcomed them.

The event was attended by the Ambassador of the Republic of Cuba in
Caracas, Dagoberto Rodríguez, and the Minister for Health of the Bolivarian
Republic of Venezuela, Carlos Alvarado.

*Featured image: chancellor Jorge Arreaza addressing the Cuban doctors.
Courtesy RedRadioVE.*

(RedRadioVE
<https://redradiove.com/en-medio-del-bloqueo-venezuela-recibe-a-230-medicos-cubanos-que-se-suman-a-la-lucha-contra-la-pandemia/>
)