[News] Trump Cuts Aid to Central America Over Migration, Warns Millions Will Be Deported

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jun 18 11:18:08 EDT 2019

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Trump-Cuts-Aid-to-Central-America-Over-Migration-Warns-Millions-Will-Be-Deported-20190617-0018.html

  Trump Cuts Aid to Central America Over Migration, Warns Millions Will
  Be Deported

June 17, 2019

United States (U.S.) President Donald Trump’s administration on Monday
slashed around US$550 million in aid to El Salvador, Guatemala, and
Honduras due to thousands of their citizens seeking asylum at the
U.S.-Mexico border.

    /*RELATED:
    ‘US Running Concentration Camps at the Border’: Expert
    <https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/US-Running-Concentration-Camps-at-the-Border-Expert-20190616-0013.html>*/

“As feared, a presidential tantrum will limit our nation’s ability to
actually help address the challenges forcing people to flee to the
U.S.,” Democratic Senator Bob Menendez said on Twitter.

Congressional aides affirmed the administration told them US$370 million
in aid to Central America, that lawmakers had approved for fiscal 2018,
would be relocated, and that an additional US$180 million for fiscal
2017 would be suspended. On March, Trump warned
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/No-More-US-Financial-Aid-for-Guatemala-Honduras-El-Salvador-20190330-0007.html>his
administration would cut these funds.

“We’re not paying them anymore because they haven’t done a thing for
us,” the U.S. head of state said in regards to his “dislike” of the
three nation’s migration policies. A U.S. official said the
administration would review the funding by April 2020.

    Next week ICE will begin the process of removing the millions of
    illegal aliens who have illicitly found their way into the United
    States. They will be removed as fast as they come in. Mexico, using
    their strong immigration laws, is doing a very good job of stopping
    people.......

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 18, 2019
    <https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1140791400658870274?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

The president warned on Monday that "millions" of undocumented
migrants would be "removed" by ICE next week.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is currently detaining
more than 52,500 migrants a day, most of them are asylum seekers
protected by international law, escaping political persecution, gang and
drug-related violence.

Legislators who oppose the plan said it was “cruel” to cut off aid to
countries grappling with hunger and crime and that the move would be
counterproductive as it would more likely increase the number of
migrants than decrease it.

    .....there is not, we can always go back to our previous, very
    profitable, position of Tariffs - But I don’t believe that will be
    necessary. The Failing @nytimes
    <https://twitter.com/nytimes?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>, & ratings
    challenged @CNN <https://twitter.com/CNN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>, will
    do anything possible to see our Country fail! They are truly The
    Enemy of the People!

    — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 9, 2019
    <https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1137697507218264064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Meanwhile, Mexico also announced that rather than deploy its 6,000 new
National Guard across the country by June 30, it will do so by June 18
at 13 specific points along the border, a move critics say continues the
militarization techniques introduced by the previous two administrations.

This move is part of Trump’s imposed policies on Andres Manuel Lopez
Obrador’s government to impose more strict migration policies in Mexico
in a bid to hinder the thousands of asylum seekers crossing Central
America to reach the U.S. border.

And as Trump has made reducing migration one of his signature policy
pledges, Guatemalan Defense Minister, Luis Miguel Ralda, confirmed on
June 3 that U.S. troops are already in the country, specifically in the
Guatemala-Mexico border department of Huehuetenango to prevent migrants
from entering Mexico in the first place.

On Monday, Trump tweeted that "Guatemala is getting ready to sign a
Safe-Third Agreement." Under this sort of agreement, migrants would be
required to seek asylum in Guatemala if they want to reach the U.S.,
Canada struck a pact of those characteristics back in 2002.