[News] Maduro Asks International Community to End US's Threats of War

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 5 11:18:11 EST 2019

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Maduro-Asks-International-Community-to-End-USs-Threats-of-War-20190204-0025.html

  Maduro Asks International Community to End US's Threats of War

February 4, 2019

Venezuela will not allow foreign soldiers to invade, President Nicolas
Maduro said calling for dialogue with opposition forces during a
televised speech Monday.

"Che, Fidel, Chavez, they are our heritage, they give us strength,” the
Bolivarian head of state said, reminding the crowd of supporters of the
country’s past struggle for independence dating back to the colonial era
to present day.

Since the attempted coup on Jan. 23 lead by opposition lawmaker Juan
Guaido, the United States has aligned its forces with the
self-proclaimed “interim president,” declaring his unconstitutional
claim legitimate, triggering similar calls from its allies around the
world and in South America.

Maduro said, "When our Comandante Chavez passed away, I became
president, but my first act was to hold elections. I wasn't going to
govern without elections...why has Sanchez Castejon governed for so long
in Spain without convening elections?

Threats of militarized intervention have resurfaced as well as new
rounds of suffocating sanctions against Venezuela, targeting the
country’s oil companies in the United States. Although both the Lima
Group
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Venezuela-Lima-Group-Refuses-to-Back-US-Military-Intervention-20190130-0010.html>
and the European Union have rejected militarized force, they have
recognized the Guaido’s claim and are calling for Maduro to abdicate in
favor of a new election.

"The attacks against us from the so-called 'Lima Group' are also an
attack on the whole left, on all progressives who they persecute in
their countries," President Maduro said, describing the organization’s
behavior as “disgusting and laughable.”

Regarding the repeated requests for intervention made by the Venezuelan
opposition, the president said it was foolish for his homeland to
encourage war.

"Those who march with the US flag asking for military intervention in
their own country have no idea what they're asking for, they have no
idea of the damage they will bring," said Maduro.

"In Venezuela, a battle is being played out for the right of all
countries to pursue their own paths… I want to ask the world for the
highest level of solidarity to create a powerful movement against the
threats of war from the US,” the Bolivarian president said.