[News] Urgent-Colombia minga betrayed, Uribe defends possible massacre of protesters

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 10 10:45:59 EDT 2019

https://afgj.org/urgent-colombia-minga-betrayed-uribe-defends-possible-massacre-of-protesters?eType=EmailBlastContent&eId=97fb6dc2-9ca0-4b11-b092-c887206f06db

  Urgent-Colombia minga betrayed, Uribe defends possible massacre of
  protesters

    April 10, 2019

The Alliance for Global Justice is saddened and enraged that Colombia’s
President Iván Duque, just 200 yards away, decided to abandon his visit
with indigenous and popular movement leaders in Cauca
<https://default.salsalabs.org/Tf4a25cd6-ecf7-41c0-b68f-90ffca5e655c/4950c7c6-7af0-48ec-ae58-6309a02bc06a>.
After weeks of protests for land rights and against political violence,
the government had reached preliminary accords to address the concerns.
President Duque was supposed to finalize the accords on Tuesday, April 9
2016.

Just two days before, former President, current Senator, Duque’s mentor,
and “Father of Colombia’s Death Squads”, Álvaro Uribe posted a
threatening message on twitter
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T4f2c3306-32b0-4de0-9064-1b31a6ace9ac/4950c7c6-7af0-48ec-ae58-6309a02bc06a>:
“If the authorities, serene, firm and with social criteria are involved
in a massacre it is because there is violence and terror from the other
side more than protest.”

We must not allow these outrageous acts against peace and indigenous and
rural communities to stand unchallenged.

      Click here to send an email to President Duque and the Colombian
      Ministry of Tourism. We demand that Duque finalize accords with
      the minga. Let the authorities know that if Colombia is not safe
      for peace, then it is not safe for tourism!
      <https://default.salsalabs.org/T9953a6fe-2443-4af2-8b1a-8905247d25cd/4950c7c6-7af0-48ec-ae58-6309a02bc06a>

Duque’s decision to abandon the agreements with the “minga” indigenous
and popular movement protests is not just a betrayal of the people. He
is not just responding to pressure from his patron, Álvaro Uribe. He’s
also taking his lead from Washington, DC. The Trump administration is
waging its own assault on Colombia’s peace process and funding the very
armed forces that have been attacking the minga.

Following is a translation of the message that you will send:

/If Colombia isn’t safe for the minga, how can it be safe for me?/

/I write not only to President Duque, but also to Colombia’s Ministry of
Commerce, Industry and Tourism:/

/1. To President Duque, I say that the world is watching, and as an
internationalist, I join my voice to that of the indigenous and rural
protests (minga) to demand your presence to approve and finalize the
accords already reached between the government of Colombia and the minga
popular movement./

/2. To the  Office of Commerce, Industry and Tourism, I ask, If Colombia
is not a safe place for peace and popular and indigenous movements, how
can it be a safe and sound place for a visit by my family and me? What
is happening in Colombia affects me and affects my considerations about
tourist security. I hope that the Office of Tourism will communicate to
the president that a reputation for political violence can potentially
inhibit tourism to your beautiful country./

/I am completely in shock by the decision of President Iván Duque to
break the negotiations with the minga in Cauca. The president was almost
at the meeting with indigenous leaders when he changed his mind and
decided not to attend. More terrible than anything is that this
development occurred two days after the Senator and Father of the
Paramilitaries, Álvaro Uribe emitted a tweet that justified the
possibility of a massacre against the protesters. Expressing his
displeasure with agreements reached between the minga and the
government, Uribe wrote, “If the authorities, serene, firm and with
social criteria are involved in a massacre, it is because there is
violence and terror from the other side more than protest.” The cruel
and inhumane cynicism in this message is unfathomable. Minga
participants have suffered all manner of property destruction, assaults
by the Armed Forces, injuries, and even deaths. The minga’s demands for
land rights and an end to the violence against their communities are just./

      One more action you can take for peace in Colombia: Support AfGJ’s
      human rights mission to Cauca and Valle de Cauca
      <https://default.salsalabs.org/Ta116ae00-c838-4119-8405-eecdb75e4b1c/4950c7c6-7af0-48ec-ae58-6309a02bc06a>

The Alliance for Global Justice has been asked to accompany members of
Colombia’s Permanent Committee for Human Rights (CPDH, Comité Permanente
de Derechos Humanos) as they travel in Cauca and Valle de Cauca
assessing the situation and meeting with popular movements.

We are also being asked to observe the opening days of the national
strike. AfGJ will go to Corinto and Miranda and other parts of northern
Cauca, where political violence has been especially bad. We are
collecting funds to cover associated costs, and to raise money for
medicines and food for the strikers and minga participants.