[News] International Electoral Accompaniment Missions Declare May 20 Venezuelan Elections Free and Fair

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 31 12:02:46 EDT 2018

https://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/13849

  International Electoral Accompaniment Missions Declare May 20
  Elections Free and Fair

By National Electoral Council International Electoral Accompaniment
Mission - May 31, 2018

The more than 150 members of the international electoral accompaniment
mission for the presidential and state legislative council elections
held this past May 20 have published their four independent reports.

Members included politicians, electoral experts, academics, journalists,
social movement leaders and others.

      General Report

This is the  written by the mission as a whole, which included
representatives from countries such as Russia, Palestine, China, Spain,
UK, Ireland, USA, Australia, Syria, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, the
Philippines, Indonesia, France, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Uruguay, Chile, Surinam, Paraguay, Colombia, and Peru.

    We the international accompaniers consider that the technical and
    professional trustworthiness and independence of the National
    Electoral Council of Venezuela are uncontestable.

Regarding the issue of the “red points,” (party political logistical
points which opposition figures who has failed to recognize the
electoral results claim influenced voters), the report states that:

    Tents set up in support of political parties, known as “Red Points”,
    were located within no less than 200 meters from the polling
    stations we visited, as stipulated in the Agreement on Voting
    Assurances subscribed by the Government and the Opposition.

Read the full General Report here
<https://venezuelanalysis.com/files/general_electoral_accompaniment_report_may_2018.pdf>.

      CEELA Report

The Council of Electoral Experts of Latin America (CEELA) is a grouping
of electoral technicians from across the continent, many of whom have
presided over their respective electoral agencies.

    The process was successfully carried out and that the will of the
    citizens, freely expressed in ballot boxes, was respected…the
    results communicated by the National Electoral Council reflect the
    will of the voters who decided to participate in the electoral process.

The CEELA accompanied not just the day of elections of May 20, but each
and every one of the thirteen audits which the National Electoral
Council (CNE) carried out prior to and posterior to it.

     From the technical – electoral point of view, which characterizes
    the nature and experience of CEELA members, we have to highlight
    that in this process, the electoral authority lead by the CNE
    offered again all guarantees to the political organizations, groups
    of voters and citizens in general, through the development of the
    different audit activities that provided elements of reliability and
    security.

Read the full CEELA Report here
<https://venezuelanalysis.com/files/ceela_electoral_accompaniment_report_may_2018.pdf>.

      African Report

The African countries invited to Venezuela this May
included representatives from Tunisia, South Africa, Ghana, Congo,
Nigeria and for the first time, the African Union. This report is also
signed by Anthony Witherspoon, president of the Association of
Afro-American Mayors of the state of Mississippi, USA as part of the
African Diaspora.

    Our general evaluation is that this was a fair, free, and
    transparent expression of the human right to vote and participate in
    the electoral process by the Venezuelan people, and that the results
    announced on the night of May 20 are trustworthy due to the
    comprehensive guarantees, audits, the high tech nature of the
    electoral process, and due to the thirteen audits carried out
    previous to and on the day of elections which we witnessed.

    We can also conclude that the Venezuelan people who chose to
    participate in the electoral process of May 20 were not subject to
    any external pressures.

    As such, we implore the international community to abide by
    international law and the principals of self-determination and
    recognize what we consider to be a free, fair, fully transparent,
    and sovereign election carried out in Venezuela this past May 20.

Read the full African Report here
<https://venezuelanalysis.com/files/african_electoral_accompaniment_report_may_2018.pdf>.

      Caribbean Report

Finally, there is the report elaborated by representatives from St
Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, and Grenada
in representation of the Caribbean nations.

    The mission was satisfied that the elections were conducted
    efficiently in a fair and transparent manner.  All of the registered
    voters who wanted to exercise their right to vote participated in a
    peaceful and accommodating environment. Based on the process
    observed, the mission is satisfied that the results of the elections
    reflect the will of the majority of the voters in the Bolivarian
    Republic of Venezuela.

Read the full Caribbean Report here
<https://venezuelanalysis.com/files/caribbean_electoral_accompaniment_report_may_2018.pdf>.