[News] ALBA Leaders Praise Chavez Legacy, Slam US Attacks on Venezuela - Puerto Rico’s revolutionary Oscar López Rivera attends

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 6 10:38:10 EST 2018

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/ALBA-Countries-Meet-In-Support-Of-Venezuela-Sovereignty-20180305-0013.html

  ALBA Leaders Praise Chavez Legacy, Slam US Attacks on Venezuela

The summit of presidents of the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of
Our America, or ALBA, kicked off in Caracas Monday moments
after Venezuelan President Maduro addressed Venezuelans alongside
leaders of Latin American and Caribbean member states who are attending
the meeting.

Leaders arrived in the capital Caracas Monday morning and criticized the
United States-led attacks against Venezuela's sovereignty and honored
late President Hugo Chavez on the 5th anniversary of his death. Puerto
Rico’s revolutionary Oscar López Rivera also attended the ALBA summit as
he completes his tour in Venezuela.

"Five years ago I had to give the hardest news of my life. Five years
later we remember Chavez, no longer with tears, but with a smile and
commitment to the future of the Fatherland," Maduro said marking the 5th
anniversary of the death of late President Chavez before kicking off the
ALBA summit. "Today with more security and strength than ever we say
that the Venezuelan people are more Chavista than ever. Chávez lives!"

"On Sunday, May 20th we will have elections. We are deciding between
peace and violence; democracy or coups; between the independence or
the submission of the Fatherland," the president added referring to the
upcoming presidential election in hwich he is a candidate.

    *RELATED:
    Venezuela: Oscar Lopez Rivera Pays Homage to Late Hugo Chavez
    <https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuela-Oscar-Lopez-Rivera-Pays-Homage-to-Late-Hugo-Chavez-20180303-0014.html>*

During his opening address to ALBA, Maduro gave a warm welcome to Puerto
Rican independence hero Oscar Lopez Rivera at the ALBA summit. He went
on to call for more ALBA meetings in order to address "vital issues for
the Latin American and Caribbean region."

"ALBA has the need to meet in a periodic way, work meetings that allow
us to advance in the political, economic challenges of our people," he
added at the group's 15th meeting taking place at Miraflores
Presidential Palace.

The Venezuelan leader further denounced attacks against his country by
regional right/wing governments. "We have been discussing the theme of
the Summit of the Americas. We discussed the illegal attempt of the
Government of Peru to discriminate against Venezuela and prohibit the
participation of our country." Maduro stressed that "Venezuela will not
be shut up by anyone."

He then went on to discuss his country’s innovative cyber currency Petro
and called for including it in ALBA’s economic agenda.

Raúl Castro then addressed the leaders at the opening session of ALBA
saying that threats against Venezuela also threaten peace throughout the
region.

"We proclaim the unwavering support for the Bolivarian Revolution and
the civic-military union of its people commanded by comrade Nicolas
Maduro," Raúl told his counterparts at the summit. "The United States
since 1999 when Comandante Chavez has become president, they have
resorted to methods of unconventional warfare in order to subdue this
country, which owns enormous natural wealth."

He added that only the people of Venezuela can solve any problems faced
by their nation and further denounced Peru for attempting to prevent
Maduro from attending the Summit of the Americas.

Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega echoed a similar sentiment as he
hailed the legacy of Chavez recognizing that ALBA and other
regional independent organizations would have never been possible
without the late leader’s efforts. "The U.S. tries again to provoke the
disintegration of what we have managed to build...This is a
disrespectful attitude to the people of Venezuela and Latin America."

“We see clearly the attempt to delegitimize the revolutionary process of
Venezuela that has been advancing in spite of challenges and
difficulties. In the face of violence, the people have always called for
peace,” Ortega stressed.

*"The arrival of heads of states of Nicaragua, Dominica, Bolivia and
Cuba to Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas."*

Dominica’s Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit also recognized the legacy
of Chavez before slamming intervention attempts into the internal
affairs of Venezuela. “Peru's attitude is a flagrant violation of
international law. They are denying the people of Venezuela their right
to participate. We condemn this decision.”

Bolivian President Evo Morales then took the stage calling on leaders to
“strengthen our unity as countries that seek equality for humanity.” He
then slammed the complicity of some regional governments in the attacks
on Venezuela. “I cannot believe that some Latin American presidents are
instruments of the American Empire.”

President Maduro later honored Puerto Rico’s revolutionary Oscar López
Rivera by giving him a replica of Simon Bolivar’s Sword.

Meanwhile Ecuadorean Minister of Defense Patricio Zambrano said the the
Summit of the Americas should be a space for meeting and dialogue
between countries, "and not an organism of exclusion." Zambrano's
comments were echoed by the head of the delegation of Saint Vincent and
the Grenadines who slammed what Peru is doing as “an attack on the Latin
American unity that we can not allow.”

The Saint Vincent delegate further called on President maduro to
“continue with the legacy of Chavez, you have suffered unthinkable
pressures, you have joined the people of Venezuela.”

The meeting will also feature events in memory of Bolivarian Revolution
leader and former Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who passed away on
March 5, 2013.

Meanwhile, an event tilted World Day in Solidarity with Venezuela will
also take place Monday in the Teresa Carreño Theater in Caracas, where
more than 800 people from social movements and organizations will
debate communication, social rights issues and national sovereignty.