[News] If they can do nothing to save Bethlehem, they can at least stop singing a carol that mocks its sad reality.

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 26 13:15:58 EST 2018

https://english.palinfo.com/articles/2018/12/25/I-had-a-vivid-experience-of-what-Israel-s-occupation-feels-like

  I had a vivid experience of what Israel's occupation feels like

By Ghada Karmi - December 25, 2018
"O little town of Bethlehem/How still we see thee lie/Above thy deep and
dreamless sleep/The silent stars go by," runs the famous Christmas carol
sung all over the English-speaking world as it celebrates Christmas. On
Christmas Eve midnight mass will sound out from Bethlehem's Church of
the Nativity, the legendary birthplace of Jesus Christ, proclaiming he
will bring "peace to men on earth".

*The real Bethlehem
*Nothing could be further from the truth than the image of a sweet,
untroubled Bethlehem as depicted in a carol originally created by the
pious imagination of a Victorian Western-Christian. Generations of
Christian children have been brought up on it, and its mythical power is
such that few of them realize what or even where Bethlehem is.

A well-educated English friend I had known for years was recently
surprised to learn that Bethlehem was located in Palestine. In her mind
the town was more a legend than an actual place, and connected to Jews,
if to anyone.

That idea is still widespread and has been instrumental in keeping
Western-Christians disengaged from the real Bethlehem and unsupportive
of its struggle for survival. The city I saw on a visit earlier this
year was a travesty of the place the Christmas carol depicts and an
indictment of Western Christianity's abject failure to sustain one of
its holiest shrines.

In today's Bethlehem "dreamless sleep" is more like a nightmare, and the
town can only "lie still" when Israel's occupation ends.

*Israel's brutal vandalism
*Bethlehem and its outlying villages of Beit Jala and Beit Sahour have
been traditionally the most Christian of Palestine's places, even though
Bethlehem has a Muslim majority now. Until Israel's occupation in 1967
the city had been an important social, cultural and economic hub, and
one of Palestine's most ancient localities. Its name "Beit Lahem" goes
back to Canaanite times, when it was a shrine to the Canaanite god, Lahm
or Lahem.

Its architecture is testament to its rich history: Roman and Byzantine,
when the Empress Helena had the Church of the Nativity built over the
supposed cave of Jesus' birthplace in 327; followed by the Muslim
conquests of 637, and then the crusader occupation from 1099 until ended
by Saladin in 1187; the succeeding Ottomans built the city's walls in
the early 16th century, their rule terminated by the British Mandate
from 1922 to 1948.

In 1995 Bethlehem was transferred to Palestinian Authority control,
although it remains under Israel's overall rule.

Despite their variation, none of these preceding historical periods was
ever associated with the brutal vandalism and destructiveness of
Israel's current occupation

Despite their variation, none of these preceding historical periods was
ever associated with the brutal vandalism and destructiveness of
Israel's current occupation. Leaving Jerusalem southwards to travel the
nine kilometer distance to Bethlehem, I took a wrong turn and found
myself on a fast, modern highway without another Palestinian driver in
sight.

I had stumbled by accident onto a Jews-only settler bypass road, one of
two that skirt Bethlehem and connect with its encircling settlements. I
soon realized the purpose of the operation: To pretend that no one else
exists in the area but Jews.

*A sad place
*There are 22 Israeli settlements encircling Bethlehem, cutting off its
exits and confiscating its agricultural land. They glower down from the
surrounding hills and house more settlers than all of Bethlehem and its
neighborhoods. To the north is Har Homa, a settlement that until 2000
was an ancient, densely wooded hill called Jabal Abu Ghneim.

Israel uprooted the trees and replaced them with a colony of dreary,
box-like houses, which it threatened to turn into a Bethlehem look-alike
for tourists. Nokidim, to the east, is the current residence of Israel's
hard-line former defense minister, Avigdor Lieberman.

Since 2015 Israel has closed off Bethlehem's fertile Cremisan Valley to
its Palestinian owners, and announced in June of this year a massive
settlement expansion along the route between Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

Rachel’s tomb, Bethlehem’s historic landmark on the main
Jerusalem-Bethlehem road and an area traditionally buzzing with shops
and restaurants, is now blocked off by the wall and reserved exclusively
for Jews. Muslim worshippers who venerated the tomb (and built it)
cannot go there. It is a sad place, deserted and lifeless. In the shadow
of the wall most businesses have closed and as the noose tightens around
Bethlehem, none will be left.

Israel's relentless penetration to the heart of Bethlehem is
unmistakable. Bethlehem is deliberately isolated behind the formidable
separation barrier, surrounded by checkpoints, and its economy
strangulated. Its main source of prosperity had been tourism with two
million annual visitors and a thriving souvenir market of classic olive
wood and mother-of-pearl carvings.

It was also a rich agricultural area with a successful wine industry.
But most of its land has been confiscated, and draconian restrictions on
movement to and from Bethlehem have reduced tourism and pilgrim numbers
drastically. Today its population of 220,00, including 20,000 refugees,
have the highest unemployment rate in the occupied territories, second
only to that of Gaza.

*Saving Bethlehem
*Sitting in the "cafe" outside the Walled Off Hotel at the entrance to
Bethlehem, I had a vivid experience of what Israel's occupation feels
like. The hotel is in effect a piece of installation art, created by the
British artist, Banksy, to highlight the plight of Bethlehem.

The only view from the hotel windows is of Israel's hideous eight-meter
wall, whose huge grey slabs are a mere car's width away.

Stretching forward, you can almost touch it. I remember how its sinister
watchtowers and surveillance cameras bore down on me oppressively. It
was a scene out of a horror film.

To date, and despite church delegations, papal visits, and public
expressions of concern, nothing Christians have done has halted or
reversed Israel's destruction of a city so uniquely holy to Christendom.
If they can do nothing to save Bethlehem, they can at least stop singing
a carol that mocks its sad reality.

/- Ghada Karmi is a Palestinian doctor, academic and author. Her article
appeared in Middle East Eye.
/