[News] Noose discovery at Port of Oakland prompts longshoremen walk-out

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri May 26 11:04:35 EDT 2017

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/05/25/noose-discovery-prompts-longshore-walkout-at-port-of-oakland/

  Noose discovery at Port of Oakland prompts longshoremen walk-out

May 26, 2017

OAKLAND — Operations at one of the Port of Oakland’s largest terminals
were suspended for several hours Thursday when longshoremen walked off
the job in response to nooses found on the property in recent weeks.

They returned to work Thursday afternoon after negotiations and normal
operations resumed, officials said.

The longshoremen at the Oakland International Container Terminal left
about 9 a.m., an hour after they had started for the day, under the
order of union officials, officials said.

By late morning, about 100 union longshoremen at the terminal, 1717
Middle Harbor Road, were on standby waiting to hear if they would return
to work. Container trucks were backed up all around the port and on
Interstate 880.

Officials with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union were
working to obtain surveillance tape that could reveal who is responsible
for the nooses. Arbitration on whether the union members will get paid
for their time during the walkout was under way.

An unspecified number of nooses have been discovered at the terminal in
recent weeks, including one found Thursday morning, union officials
said. The nooses have been left on a fence, the ground, and on trucks.

Derrick Muhammad, the union’s secretary-treasurer, said a noose had also
been found about 10 days ago. In November, someone spray painted a
racial slur against African Americans on a piece of port equipment, he said.

“We believe it’s a bonafide health and safety issue because of the
history behind the noose and what it means for black people in America,”
Muhammad said. “This is a dangerous occupation already. This adds
something that totally makes people feel uneasy, makes people feel
unsafe and it’s distracting. We need our people to be as focused as
possible.”

Robert McEllrath, International President, International Longshore and
Warehouse Union, said in an e-mailed statement that “the ILWU is a
progressive and diverse union, and we reject in the strongest possible
terms racism in all its forms. This matter is being vigorously investigated.

“The display of a hangmen’s noose for the second time in two weeks at
the work site is inexcusable and expressly prohibited conduct under the
terms of the ILWU-PMA collective bargaining agreement. The Union is
committed to securing a non-discriminatory work environment for all
individuals working at the ports.”

The terminal, SSA Marine, had no statement Thursday morning.

Mike Zampa, Communications Director for the  Port of Oakland spokesman
confirmed operations had resumed.

He said  the port was told a “symbol associated with racial bigotry was
discovered on the terminal property.  The Port of Oakland does not
tolerate bigotry or discrimination of any kind.  That is explicit in our
policies and in our day-to-day operations.

Zanka said the port has “been in close contact with the terminal
operator.  They are investigating the incident and taking steps to
prevent a reoccurrence.  They’ll apprise us of those next steps.”

/Staff writer David DeBolt contributed to this report. /