[News] New Zealand Maori Win 160-Year Campaign to Grant Sacred River Legal Rights

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 16 12:22:30 EDT 2017

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Maori-Win-160-Year-Campaign-to-Grant-Sacred-River-Legal-Rights-20170316-0005.html

  Maori Win 160-Year Campaign to Grant Sacred River Legal Rights

On Wednesday, the New Zealand Parliament passed a new treaty law which
recognizes that the Whanganui River has the same legal rights and
protections as a person.

The Whanganui River Claims Settlement is the culmination of a 160-year
campaign by the Whanganui iwi, a Maori nation on the north island, to
have the river recognized as one of its sacred ancestors.

"The reason we have taken this approach is because we consider the river
an ancestor and always have," said Gerrard Albert, the lead treaty
negotiator for the Whanganui iwi.

"We have fought to find an approximation in law so that all others can
understand that from our perspective treating the river as a living
entity is the correct way to approach it, as in indivisible whole,
instead of the traditional model for the last 100 years of treating it
from a perspective of ownership and management."

The treaty requires that two guardians be appointed to act on behalf of
the Whanganui river, one from the government and one from the Whanganui
iwi.The guardians will ensure that if the river is harmed or abused in
any way, as with a person, it can be defended in court.

Chris Finlayson, the minister responsible for the treaty negotiations,
noted that while some might think it strange that a river could have
legal rights equivalent to personhood, it’s no different than the legal
recognition granted to corporations and other trusts.

Albert told reporters that he hopes the treaty — which includes an US$80
million payment to the Whanganui iwi as and another US$1 million to
create the legal identity of the river — will serve as a model for other
Maori communities in the country.

"We can trace our genealogy to the origins of the universe," said
Albert. "And therefore rather than us being masters of the natural
world, we are part of it. We want to live like that as our starting
point. And that is not an anti-development, or anti-economic use of the
river but to begin with the view that it is a living being, and then
consider its future from that central belief."

While many noted that this is the first time a specific river has been
granted legal personhood, both Ecuador and Bolivia have been on the
cutting edge of granting legal rights to nature.

In 2008, Ecuador made history by enshrining the Rights of Nature — to
exist, persist, maintain and regenerate — in its constitution and in
2011 Bolivia passed its own Law of Mother Earth, which granted legal
personhood rights to all natural biosystems in the country.