[News] Venezuela Opposition Leaders Call for More Anti-Govt Protests

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 5 12:24:54 EDT 2017

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuela-Opposition-Leaders-Call-for-More-Anti-Govt-Protests-20170605-0011.html

  Venezuela Opposition Leaders Call for More Anti-Govt Protests

June 5, 2017

As Venezeula solidifies the details of the national Constituent Assembly
that will be charged with rewriting the 1999 Constitution, high-profile
opposition leaders have continued to fire back against President Nicolas
Maduro, rejecting the process and calling for a "full rebellion" against
the government.

Jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/analysis/The-Distorted-Democracy-of-Leopoldo-Lopez-20150129-0022.html> released
a video on his Twitter account Sunday calling for more anti-government
protests. The statement came after he held a meeting with former Spanish
Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, a mediator in the stalled
Unasur-backed dialogue process aimed at smoothing tensions between the
government and opposition — a process that Lopez' Popular Will
party boycotted.

Lopez praised the right-wing demonstrations
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuela-Seizes-Explosive-Weapons-from-Armed-Right-Wing-Groups-20170525-0010.html>,
which have often spilled over into violence, saying the “rebellion,
resistance and the protests are legitimate” against a government that is
“despotic” and “tyrannical.” He also expressed "admiration" for the
protesters, characterizing them as "peaceful" despite a rising death
toll from incidents linked to violent acts during protests.

"There is a critical struggle, we are in a historic moment and I am sure
that we will be victorious," Lopez said from Ramo Verde prison, where he
met with Zapatero, in the video posted by his wife Lilian Tintori, who
runs his Twitter account.

    Asumí el riesgo de enviar este primer video porque quiero sepan
    directamente mi posición sobre la calle: https://t.co/2qT5eFsfpC

    — Leopoldo López (@leopoldolopez) June 5, 2017
    <https://twitter.com/leopoldolopez/status/871522334477344769>

*"I assumed the risk of sending this first video because I want you** to
know directly my position on the street (protests)."*

Lopez has been in prison since 2015 for inciting violence in the deadly
"guarimbas" protests
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/multimedia/Deadly-Guarimbas-in-Venezuela-20170130-0025.html>,
or violent street blockades, that led to the deaths of 43 people. He was
sentenced to 13 years for his involvement in planning and promoting the
violent blockades which injured hundreds and caused billions of dollars
in damages to public buildings and infrastructure.

Lopez and his wife Tintori have been outspoken opponents of Maduro and
the Bolivarian Revolution launched by late President Hugo Chavez. Since
her husband's imprisonment, Tintori has embarked on an international
campaign to smear
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Trump-Meets-with-Wife-of-Jailed-Venezuealan-Opposition-Leader--20170215-0038.html>
the government of Maduro, including meeting with figures such as U.S.
President Donald Trump.

    *RELATED: *
    Venezuela Seizes Explosives from Armed Right-Wing Groups
    <http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuela-Seizes-Explosive-Weapons-from-Armed-Right-Wing-Groups-20170525-0010.html>

Lopez has become one of the most iconic faces of the Venezuelan
opposition, selling himself as a political prisoner despite his long and
sordid history
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/analysis/The-Distorted-Democracy-of-Leopoldo-Lopez-20150129-0022.html>
in Venezuelan politics.

Last week, a judge involved in Lopez’s case was murdered in Caracas’ El
Paraiso district.

Meanwhile, head of the right-wing opposition-controlled National
Assembly, Julio Borges, echoed Lopez’s called for an escalation of
protests, citing the opposition's continued rejection of the Constituent
Assembly, called by Maduro to promote dialogue. Insistent calls for
protests, rather than backing the Constituent Assembly process, has been
seen as laying bare the fact that the opposition's only proposal and
objective is ousting Maduro’s government.

“The call is that we continue in absolute rebellion (against) the
Constituent Assembly ... because the country unanimously rejects the
communist Constituent Assembly," he stated Sunday during a press
conference of the right-wing opposition coalition, Democratic Unity
Table, known by its Spanish acronym MUD.

Borges said street marches will continue and that they will not allow
the Constituent Assembly process to move forward.

Venezuela's top electoral official announced Sunday that the vote to
elect 545 repersentatives to the national Constituent Assembly will
likely take place on July 30.