[News] Isolating radicals: America's new academic blacklisting

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 28 13:11:57 EDT 2017

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/comment/2017/7/28/isolating-radicals-americas-new-academic-blacklisting

  Isolating radicals: America's new academic blacklisting

Steven Salaita - July 27, 2017

The outrage is helped along by a profound misunderstanding of the
offending critiques. What many conservatives interpret as atavistic
dislike of innocent whites, akin to - if not worse than - racism against
black people and other ethnic minorities, isn't a rejection of their
humanity, but of a system that reifies whiteness in order to maintain
inequality.

By treating whiteness as an ethnic category rather than a political
identity, those conservatives uphold racial hierarchies that provide
them a plethora of tangible benefits. That black intellectuals face
recrimination for challenging whiteness as a political invention merely
validates their critical enterprise.

US academe has never been hospitable to radicals, as evidenced by the
kinds of speech most likely to land a professor in trouble: Criticism of
the police and/or military, condemnation of Israel, analysis of
structural racism, and rejection of capitalism. While the right has
marketed itself as uniquely oppressed on campus, those on the left,
particularly women and people of colour, most frequently suffer
violations of academic freedom.

Conservative scholars certainly provoke controversy, but it's almost
always for unambiguously racist speech or unethical behaviour. Anyway,
as the war criminals <http://www.hoover.org/profiles/condoleezza-rice>
who have found prestigious teaching
<http://explore.georgetown.edu/people/albright/> gigs illustrate
<https://www.law.berkeley.edu/our-faculty/faculty-profiles/john-yoo/>,
some controversy is negligible or beneficial. It depends on who's
complaining.  On both the left and right, affirming state power isn't a
problem.

Recent controversies at Drexel
<http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Drexel-professor-ciccariello-maher-new-twitter-storm-March-31-2017.html>,
Trinity
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4629820/Outrage-professor-s-rebuke-self-identified-whites.html>
(Hartford), Claremont
<https://www.thefire.org/regarding-the-firing-of-jonathan-higgins-at-the-claremont-colleges/>,
Princeton
<https://townhallseattle.org/event/keeanga-yamahtta-taylor/> and Essex
County College
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/26/professor-fired-after-defending-blacks-only-event-on-fox-news-i-was-publicly-lynched-she-says/?utm_term=.96ab39e590cc>
arise from the race politics that animate Trump's popularity among many
self-identified white people. These days, whiteness doesn't signify the
overconfidence of normality as much as it does the paranoia of a
declining majority.

Few groups are more capable of hostility than those anxious about an
imminent decline of their inherent advantages.

In any case, the misunderstandings don't justify the vitriol.

Targets of these public inquests face racist abuse, including death
threats. Johnny Eric Williams, a sociologist at Connecticut's Trinity
College, had to flee
<http://www.courant.com/education/hc-trinity-williams-facebook-furor-20170622-story.html>
his home because of such threats. Trinity ended up briefly shutting down
campus.

Inundated by promises of harm, Keeanga-Yamhatta Taylor had to cancel
<http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/05/31/25180859/keeanga-yamahtta-taylor-cancels-west-coast-tour-after-a-fox-news-report-spurs-death-threats>
a speaking tour in the Pacific Northwest. Saida Grundy, of Boston
University, had to work amid condemnatory flyers
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/08/24/saida-grundy-discusses-controversy-over-her-comments-twitter-her-career-race-and>
posted by a neo-Nazi group.

Jonathan Higgins, a student affairs professional, was fired for
deploring structural racism by an institution reputed to be liberal.

We tend to think of these right-wing offensives as fundamentally
ideological - that is, as the product of irrational fervour set on
destruction - but they're not as mindless as we might imagine. They
follow strategic principles that have proven effective, partly because
university management provides them latitude.

Grundy and Williams, for example, were reprimanded by their employers,
while Taylor's remained silent, which can be read as indifference or
tacit approval, neither option helpful in a moment promising racial
violence.

The goal of conservative media luminaries who whip their audiences into
frenzies isn't merely to punish radical scholars, but to render
themselves indispensable to campus governance. They have succeeded
insofar as they define the parameters of public debate and mark their
targets as deviant.

Controversy isn't an event, but a condition. In academe, overcoming that
condition is remarkably difficult. Upper administrators loathe
controversy, a sentiment that bleeds into the faculty who control
systems of merit and promotion. In this industry, punishment is often a
lifetime proposition.

Agitators exploit this feature of academe to interject themselves into
spaces where they normally have no influence, rendering themselves
omnipresent despite their formal absence. Dozens of websites profile
offending faculty, warning universities that the listed individuals come
with the potential for trouble and providing guidance to patriotic types
eager to share feedback with seditious professors.

They limit mobility within and beyond campus. The situation amounts to
blacklisting because conservative mobs generate a permanent state of
disputation even when they fail to get their targets fired.

Management normally doesn't take a firm stand against conservative
attempts to punish faculty. Not a single university president, for
example, has condemned Canary Mission, a website devoted to ruining the
career prospects of students and faculty deemed to be inadequately
enamoured of Israel, and none has stood up to /Fox News'/ Tucker
Carlson, a principal purveyor of right-wing agitation.

It's easy to attribute this inaction to cowardice, but doing so absolves
senior administrators of their role in promulgating anti-intellectual
cultures.

Most deans and provosts are too genteel to embrace Republican
operatives, frequently stereotyped as uneducated rubes, but those
operatives provide cover for universities' less pastoral commitments:
Dirty real estate transactions, awful labour practices, obscene
administrative salaries, complicity in imperialism and settler
colonisation, cooperation with the surveillance state, cover-ups of
sexual assault.

That administrators often tolerate reactionaries who profess a desire to
destroy higher education shouldn't be a surprise: university management
and reactionary politicians often share the same class interests. In the
past month, two colleges
<http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/09/mills-college-to-lay-off-at-least-8-professors-cut-philosophy-program/>
have laid off
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/07/17/faculty-members-who-have-been-lead-critics-administration-lose-jobs-sierra-nevada>
tenured faculty, something that promises to become a regular occurrence.

In both cases, the scholars put on the chopping block had been critical
of their administrations. Fancy vestments can't conceal the resemblance
of campus luminaries to right-wing demagogues who peddle visions of an
authoritarian social order.

Scholars who challenge nationalistic orthodoxy can expect the same tacit
approval from their bosses. Management rarely condemns vitriol and death
threats against its employees unless doing so enhances their brand.

They're too beholden to the corporations, legislatures, and foundations
from which they derive significant income, not to mention wealthy
individual donors. It's lucrative, if only by negation, to bemoan the
unhinged and pampered radicals they have to put up with.

Senior administrators would do well to heed the words of Simran Jeet
Singh, who faced calls for dismissal
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/07/21/sikh-scholar-harassed-over-photo-another-man-front-trump-tower>
over a phony allegation. Noting that his employer, Trinity College in
San Antonio, had his "back in every single moment like this," he
provided the solution to the problem of right-wing agitation: "I wish
that other universities would do the same for their educators."

Many commentators in the West hesitate to raise this point, but
pro-Israel groups pioneered the tactics now deployed with increasing
success by alt-right agitators. They have also been the most vigorous in
enforcing blacklists, which have a long tradition in the United States,
in part because capitalist societies maintain obedience through strict
regulation of livelihood.

Norman Finkelstein never got another job in the United States. Neither
did Terri Ginsburg
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora-barrows-friedman/legal-battle-ends-larger-struggle-continues-professor-denied-tenure>.
Dozens of Palestinian scholars exist in job market purgatory, known to
be troublemakers by virtue of claiming an ethnic identity.  Being hated
by reactionaries is seemingly their most notable accomplishment, and no
amount of distinguished teaching, scholarship, or service will change
that reality.

Instead of bemoaning the stupidity of conservative zealots, faculty
ought to consider how they unwittingly maintain that zealotry on campus.
Blacklists require the consent of people who claim to deplore them.
Faculty can diminish the power of controversy by refusing to abide what
they imagine to be administrative preferences.

Allowing public shaming to dictate curricular priorities can expedite
institutional anxiety and augment the tabloid undertones of academe.
Let's quit pandering to managerial sensibilities and recruit faculty who
will upset the bosses.

In other words, faculty abet blacklists when they accept controversy as
an insurmountable reality. Blacklists work only if they become
self-regulating through a collective observance of common sense ("she's
un-hireable"; "our administration will never go for it"; "I don't want
to deal with controversy"; "our department's reputation will take a
hit"; "he's too polemical"; "groups X, Y, and Z on campus will
complain"; "I'm afraid of getting into trouble").

We cannot defeat the right if we allow its operatives and managerial
enablers to mediate our professional conventions. We're also helpless to
overcome the threat if we don't expunge whatever affinity we have for
the racism at the heart of today's alt-right enterprise. I suspect this
task will be more difficult for faithful liberals than they might care
to admit.

Whether a reactionary ethos forces itself onto campus or actually
corresponds to extant professional ideologies, that ethos informs some
of academe's most enduring truisms.

"Don't be political" becomes a pragmatic mantra, the sage advice
seasoned elders give to young firebrands who don't yet know the
business. But being political is fine as long as it doesn't interfere
with sites of power, in which case the politics can acquire the gravity
of dispassion.

"Political" is reserved for words and actions that challenge capitalist
and colonialist orthodoxy. "Don't be political" really means "Don't be
committed to justice".

And if we cannot be committed to justice, then abandoning any pretence
of critical thinking or compassionate pedagogy becomes the only ethical
option. When reactionaries are in a constant state of apoplexy, we
needn't accept it as a source of anxiety, but as affirmation of a job
well done.

*Steven Salaita is an American scholar, author and public speaker. His
latest book is /Uncivil Rites: Palestine and the Limits of Academic
Freedom/.  Follow him on Twitter:* @stevesalaita
<http://www.twitter.com/stevesalaita>

/*Opinions expressed in this article remain those of the author, and do
not necessarily represent those of The New Arab, its editorial board or
staff.*/