[News] We Made a Village for the Kids - Reflections on the Prairie Fire Organizing Committee

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 27 11:29:50 EST 2017

https://viewpointmag.com/2017/01/26/we-made-a-village-for-the-kids-reflections-on-the-prairie-fire-organizing-committee/

  We Made a Village for the Kids: Reflections on the Prairie Fire
  Organizing Committee

January 26, 2017 - Mickey Ellinger
<https://viewpointmag.com/author/mickey-ellinger/>

When I tell other activists in the San Fran­cisco Bay Area that I was a
mem­ber of Prairie Fire Orga­niz­ing Com­mit­tee (PFOC or PF) in the
1970s and 1980s,^1
<https://viewpointmag.com/2017/01/26/we-made-a-village-for-the-kids-reflections-on-the-prairie-fire-organizing-committee/#fn1-7252>
they often say, “Oh yeah, you’re the peo­ple who always had child care
at your events.” Peo­ple who knew us bet­ter knew that we also shared
child care among our mem­bers and had a polit­i­cal kids group that was
mostly our chil­dren but included a few oth­ers. Our small
orga­ni­za­tion was a vil­lage that raised almost forty chil­dren over
twenty years. We didn’t do a per­fect job —our grown kids are quick to
tell us where we blew it, but also to acknowl­edge how it made their
child­hoods richer, more mean­ing­ful, and more secure. At the same
time, we made it pos­si­ble for par­ents to par­tic­i­pate fully in our
col­lec­tive life and for all of the adults to have mean­ing­ful
rela­tion­ships to chil­dren, rela­tion­ships that trans­lated our
com­mit­ment to fem­i­nism into the prac­ti­cal work of social
repro­duc­tion.

In this period, when pro­gres­sive activists are try­ing to fig­ure out
how to orga­nize our­selves to deal with the chal­lenges ahead, it’s
impor­tant to think about where chil­dren fit in. How can we nur­ture
our com­mu­ni­ties’ chil­dren while ensur­ing that par­ents, and
espe­cially women, are able to par­tic­i­pate fully?

For much of recorded his­tory, chil­dren have grown up in vil­lages or
towns with tight-knit social rela­tion­ships, where every­one knew them
and had a role in their upbring­ing. The kids knew the bound­aries, and
expected to be sup­ported and chas­tised by every­one. The myth of the
ide­al­ized nuclear fam­ily, two par­ents and one or two chil­dren, was
widely prop­a­gated in United States after World War Two. My
gen­er­a­tion, born in the 1940s and 1950s, were par­ented by that
gen­er­a­tion of nuclear fam­ily par­ents.

My gen­er­a­tion became active sup­port­ing civil rights, oppos­ing the
war in Viet­nam, and devel­op­ing a fem­i­nist con­scious­ness. Like
many other rad­i­cals
<https://www.marxists.org/history/erol/ncm-1a/index.htm>, we orga­nized
a small, dis­ci­plined orga­ni­za­tion of a type that flour­ished in the
1970s but is rare on the Left today. We con­sid­ered our­selves
com­mu­nists, an orga­ni­za­tion of ded­i­cated cadre for whom
over­throw­ing the US empire was our high­est pri­or­ity. We stud­ied
the Marx­ist, Lenin­ist and Maoist clas­sics, but were not aligned with
any for­mal com­mu­nist ten­dency, and looked to nei­ther the Soviet
Union nor China for direc­tion. Most of us were mem­bers of Bay Area
pub­lic activist move­ments. Some ended up in prison for our actions and
beliefs, and oth­ers were under­ground for years.

We were united by an anti-impe­ri­al­ist pol­i­tics that saw white
supremacy as foun­da­tional to the U.S empire, shared the rudi­ments of
a strat­egy for over­throw­ing U.S. impe­ri­al­ism, and adhered to a
high level of col­lec­tive account­abil­ity in our per­sonal lives that
included a com­mit­ment to rais­ing our chil­dren.

We hated how the nuclear fam­ily fore­closed women’s oppor­tu­ni­ties,
and when we founded PFOC we wanted to do it dif­fer­ently. It was the
1970s. We were mostly in our 30s and had ded­i­cated our lives to
over­throw­ing the U.S. empire, but we also intended to raise
fam­i­lies. We were mostly first gen­er­a­tion home­grown rad­i­cals and
some Red dia­per babies, look­ing for new ways to live in the world. As
one of our mem­bers explains:

    We didn’t want to repli­cate the expe­ri­ence of the Com­mu­nist
    Party, where women were either com­pletely over­bur­dened or they
    were never around and the chil­dren felt aban­doned. There are many
    chil­dren of the Com­mu­nist Party who felt that their par­ents were
    lunatics, or women who felt like they couldn’t par­tic­i­pate in
    polit­i­cal activ­i­ties, because, of course, it was their job to
    take care of the chil­dren.

Women’s lib­er­a­tion was cen­tral to our pol­i­tics. We were led by
women and saw fight­ing male supremacy as essen­tial to over­throw­ing
impe­ri­al­ism. We wrote these ideas into our found­ing polit­i­cal
state­ment in 1977