[News] Maduro: I Am Proud to Be Sanctioned Mr. Donald Trump

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 1 13:21:04 EDT 2017

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Maduro-I-Am-Proud-to-Be-Sanctioned-Mr.-Donald-Trump-20170731-0024.html

  Maduro: I Am Proud to Be Sanctioned Mr. Donald Trump

August 1, 2017

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has defended himself against recent
sanctions
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/In-Continued-Threats-US-Sanctions-Venezuelan-President-Maduro-20170731-0017.html>
imposed by the United States.

    *RELATED:
    Electoral
    <http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Electoral-Experts-Call-for-Respect-of-Venezuela-Assembly-Vote-20170731-0010.html>**Experts
    Call for Respect of Venezuela Assembly Vote*
    <http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Electoral-Experts-Call-for-Respect-of-Venezuela-Assembly-Vote-20170731-0010.html>

In a public address, Maduro declared, "Impose whatever sanctions you
like but I am the leader of the free people."

The comments come after the U.S. Treasury Department announced it will
impose sanctions directly on President Maduro.

The sanctions mean Maduro's assets subject to U.S. jurisdiction are now
frozen and people from the U.S. are prohibited from dealing with the
head of state.

Maduro lambasted the sanctions as an "imperialist attack" against
Venezuela's National Constituent Assembly, ANC.

"Why are they sanctioning me? Because I called democratic elections so
that people can freely vote for the National Constituent Assembly," he
said. "I feel proud to be sanctioned Mr Imperialist Donald Trump."

    *RELATED:
    Central
    <http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Central-American-Nations-Congratulate-Venezuela-After-Elections-20170731-0001.html>**American
    Nations Congratulate Venezuela After Elections*
    <http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Central-American-Nations-Congratulate-Venezuela-After-Elections-20170731-0001.html>

Maduro assured that pressure from the United States will not derail the ANC.

"Venezuela will not be silenced, nothing and nobody will stop the
National Constituent Assembly," he said.

According to electoral authorities, over 8 million people
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Over-8-Million-Vote-in-Venezuelas-National-Constituent-Assembly-Election-20170730-0040.html>
voted in Venezuela's National Constituent Assembly election Sunday — a
turnout of over 41 percent.

Maduro argued the mass turnout was an indication that the people of
Venezuela were committed to peace and see the ANC as a solution to the
country's current political crisis.

"I will be happy to meet him and shake his hand but Trump is making the
biggest mistake of his life with Venezuela because Venezuela is the key
to solidarity in the region," said Maduro.