[News] This Moment at Standing Rock Was Decades in the Making

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 19 13:27:16 EDT 2016

http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/this-moment-at-standing-rock-was-decades-in-the-making-20160916

  This Moment at Standing Rock Was Decades in the Making

Jenni Monet posted Sep 16, 2016

Attack dogs and waves of arrests by police in riot gear could look like
isolated incidents of overreaction to the activism stemming from the
Standing Rock reservation. But for the Lakota Sioux who live in these
marginalized hillsides, the escalated militarization behind their battle
against the Dakota Access pipeline is a situation decades in the making.

    Many people of Standing Rock are not surprised by the extreme
    response of law enforcement against activists.

North Dakota is not the whitest state in America, but it’s arguably the
most segregated. More than 60 percent of its largest minority
population, Native Americans, lives on or near reservations. Native men
are incarcerated or unemployed at some of the highest rates in the
country. Poverty levels for families of the Standing Rock tribe are five
times that of residents living in the capital city, Bismarck. In Cannon
Ball, the heart of the tribal community, there are rows of weathered
government homes, but no grocery store. Tucked behind a lonely highway,
this is where mostly white farmers and ranchers shuttle to and from
homesteads once belonging to the Sioux.

Add to that a contempt that many Native Americans say they feel from
North Dakotans and particularly from police, and many people of Standing
Rock are not surprised by the extreme response of law enforcement
against activists.

“We’ve run on empty for a number of generations,” said Phyllis Young, a
former tribal councilwoman for the Standing Rock Sioux, the community
that’s vowed to stop the pipeline in its path. “But now we’re taking a
stand. We are reaching a pinnacle, a peak.”

The initial occupation began in April, but since early August people
from across Indian Country, and now the world, have turned up every day
by the hundreds to protest ongoing construction—even if it means
confronting angry workers, lines of riot police, attack dogs, and jail time.

North Dakota, a state of nearly 740,000 people, is similar to other
conservative states with sizable Native American populations, places
like Arizona and Oklahoma, where natural resource extractions have
terribly harmed indigenous land—like the uranium mining fallout across
the Navajo Nation or the lead contamination on lands leased by the
Quapaws. Yet where these environmental ordeals did not so much draw the
kind of activism now swelling at Standing Rock today, they have
similarly intensified attention to the greater systemic problems that
exist whenever ancestral tribal lands are targeted for energy development.

For North Dakotans unaware of this context, the battle against the
Dakota Access pipeline has caught them off guard.

“The outsiders coming in, we feel, are bringing this unrest,” said Ron
Ness, a multigenerational North Dakotan. “Certainly it’s not the norm of
the tribal nations to do business here and who we all know and who we
are neighbors with.”

Ness, who is president of the North Dakota Petroleum Council, represents
the state’s overwhelming conservative view of the protests—a combination
of annoyance and anxiety—that illustrates the historic and cultural
divisions of the Northern Plains.

One thing all parties seem agree on, directly or indirectly, is that
this oil pipeline is not wanted around water supplies. But whose water
supply?

An early proposal of the Dakota Access pipeline once examined a route
that would have extended the multibillion-dollar project 10 miles north
of Bismarck. But the company, along with the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, rejected it, opting for a plan that would snake a portion 92
feet below the Missouri River, directly under Standing Rock’s main water
source.

The Corps had evaluated the Bismarck route and determined it was not a
viable option. One reason: The route posed a potential threat to the
city’s water supply. Municipal water wells were at risk, according to
the agency’s environmental assessment. Meanwhile, the Corps stated that
the initial route would have been difficult to stay 500 or more feet
away from homes, as state regulations required. That’s when the agency
recommended the path of the pipeline traverse the Missouri River
underneath land belonging to the Corps, an easement less than half a
mile away from the Standing Rock Sioux reservation.

The tribe argued environmental consequences would be grave if the nearly
1,200-mile pipeline, transporting 450,000 barrels of Bakken crude a day,
were to leak. Standing Rock is now suing the Corps on claims that the
agency inadequately consulted with them prior to approving the pipeline
project. The tribe is appealing the recent federal ruling denying its
request to stop construction. “We’re prepared to face the court,”
Phyllis Young said. “We have an ambitious agenda.”

Meanwhile, defending the pipeline in North Dakota lately has evolved
into routine theater.

The Morton County Sheriff’s Department has so far arrested as many as 69
people for what it described as illegal protest activities. On Thursday
three men attached themselves to construction equipment. Many of those
arrested have been charged with criminal trespassing. The majority are
people who reside in other states. At least two were booked with
identification from communities in Canada.

Morton County State’s Attorney’s office filed charges against four
activists involved in the tense clashes of September 3, where private
security guards hired by Dakota Access and its partner, Energy Transfer
Partners, used attack dogs and pepper spray against protestors. The
demonstration, which was video-recorded by Amy Goodman of Democracy
Now!, effectively stopped pipeline construction for the day. The
affidavit, including charges filed against Goodman, came in direct
response to Gov. Jack Dalrymple’s call to seek reimbursement from anyone
who costs the government money from their civil disobedience. That
threat was made the same day the Republican governor activated the
National Guard.

This week, Kolette Ostlund, a deputy court clerk of the North Central
Judicial District Office in Minot, North Dakota, received a formal
warning for her Facebook comment made over the Labor Day weekend. The
September 5 rant about the pipeline battle began: “Solution: let them
keep their sacred land. Go around their water and burial grounds. It
obviously means a lot to them and they should have it ... Then ... Stop
the monthly checks and ALL the government payouts! Stop all the
subsidies and hand-outs. Done!”

She added, “The government has paid out enough over the last few hundred
years. Enough is enough!”

At Sacred Stone Camp, where as many as 2,000 people have journeyed to
pitch teepees or tents to stand in solidarity with the Standing Rock
Sioux, Ashley Thunder Hawk stood in the wet grass and soft mud wearing a
single white flip-flop. “The other one broke,” she laughed, wondering
out loud how she would make her way around the camp.

“There is racism,” said Thunder Hawk, a lifelong resident of Cannon
Ball. “We get treated shitty on our own piece of land, but at the same
time we go on the other side and it’s worse. We get treated really shitty.”

In recent months, Thunder Hawk said, she’d given up on plans to move off
the reservation and into the nearby community of Mandan or Bismarck. A
felony record made getting a job and renting an apartment seem next to
impossible. For now, her focus was on exercising extreme willpower, to
ward off drugs, to resist alcohol, and to ignore a wave of negativity
that seemingly permeates the reservation. The 24-year-old mother could
count the days of her sobriety: six months and 13 days. Ron Yellow Jr.,
the father of her only child, was on the same healthy path.

In Thunder Hawk’s world, practicing sheer determination is even
difficult to do. “If you want to go somewhere, you gotta drive maybe
50-60 miles north to have fun or something, you know?” She paused and
shifted her weight onto her naked foot.

Yellow Jr., 37, added, “It’s why a lot of people say that we’re stuck here.”

The social problems, many tribal residents say, began when treaties were
broken and ancestral lands were lost to colonizers.

The existing land base of the Standing Rock Sioux was determined by the
Treaty of Fort Laramie in 1868. When the U.S. government claimed victory
11 years later, following the Great Sioux War, the terms of that treaty
were amended. Threatened by starvation, the tribe, under duress, ceded a
great deal of Laramie land to the federal government. In partial
recognition of this painful history, modern federal Indian law today
accords certain rights to tribes, including entitlement programs linked
to health care, housing, education, and even gaming.

But even with these concessions, reservation life across Indian Country
is often bleak and exacerbated by a disconnection from political power
or voice.

Consider North Dakota’s strict voter-ID law.

Chase Iron Eyes, the first Lakota Sioux to run for the state’s only
congressional seat, said he has witnessed many Native American voters
being denied access to the polls. North Dakota doesn’t have a voter
registration system. Instead, the state has required residents to
provide valid identification. Polling precincts have accepted driver’s
licenses and state-issued identity cards, as well as identification from
North Dakota’s federally recognized Indian tribes.

But there’s one catch: All IDs must have a current address.

“In Indian Country we all know damn well that we don’t have physical
addresses,” said Iron Eyes.  The 38-year-old attorney and member of the
Standing Rock Sioux tribe is running for Congress, challenging incumbent
Kevin Cramer, a Republican, who’s been the U.S. representative for North
Dakota’s at-large congressional district since 2013.

“I never had a physical address until I came back from law school,” Iron
Eyes continued. “Our whole lives we have P.O. boxes, and so this is
something that in the law we have to prove discriminatory intent.”

In August, a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction that will
make it easier for Native Americans to cast their ballots in the
upcoming general election. But the court ruling didn’t strike down the
2013 law. With only weeks left before Election Day, North Dakota’s
secretary of state vowed to review the issue during the next legislative
session, in early 2017. Like so many voter-ID laws nationwide, the North
Dakota statute was passed by a Republican-led legislature that claimed a
need to curb statewide voter fraud.

“If Native people don’t vote, what you get are instituted roadblocks and
military-style checkpoints,” Iron Eyes said, referring to the National
Guardsmen staked out along Highway 1806, a direct response to the
pipeline protests.

Iron Eyes faces an enormous political battle.

    What happens here once the pipeline battle ends?

To begin, his opponent can outspend him by nearly a million dollars.
(T-shirt sales have been a humble fundraising approach for the Iron Eyes
for Congress campaign.) The Democratic National Party will not formally
endorse him. With only around $40,000 in campaign coffers, he lacks the
money to interest the DNC.

And so Iron Eyes must rely on a vast Native American turnout to come
even close to a win. Most tribal members are too poor to donate. Voting,
at least, is free.

To be sure, North Dakota is a state dominated by Republican influence.

During North Dakota’s GOP convention last April, Cramer was among the
first to endorse Donald Trump. It was a show of support soon followed by
the state’s governor, who now sits on Trump’s newly created agricultural
advisory committee.

The state’s Democratic senator, Heidi Heitkamp, is an advocate for
Native American programs in North Dakota. But she has remained mostly
silent on action swirling around  Dakota Access. On Thursday, though,
she was compelled to respond after online threats were made by the
hacker group Anonymous, targeting North Dakota lawmakers and law
enforcement.

“Threats of violence cloaked in anonymity never have and never will have
any place in North Dakota,” Heitkamp’s statement read.

That Anonymous has entered the fight for indigenous rights at Standing
Rock, whether the occupation’s organizers like it or not, helps amplify
a very simple narrative: “We decided to stand with Native Americans
whose lands you raped, whose sacred lands you destroyed,” said its video
mostly addressed to Gov. Darymple.

Despite the passionate and widespread support for the Standing Rock
Sioux’s position, the outlook for defeating a pipeline is grim.

The very fact that the tribal community is situated in the state’s
poorest county, Sioux County, prompts the question: What happens here
once the pipeline battle ends?

Systemic poverty that has gripped this tribe goes beyond a lack of
money. It involves often young lives burdened early by hopelessness,
homelessness, alcoholism, and chronic suicide. More than half of Cannon
Ball’s students drop out of school.

Addressing areas of insecurity would do Standing Rock justice. Despite
its position on the prairie, it’s a virtual desert—of data, healthy
foods, digital technology, political representation.

“Fear of racism, it’s alive and well in the Dakotas,” said spiritual
leader Arvol Looking Horse about the sentiments among the Lakota. “And
today, it’s even gotten worse because of our political leaders.”

Looking Horse was the elder who led a ceremonial blessing for President
Obama during his visit to the Standing Rock Reservation in 2014.
“Americans don’t even know that we exist today,” he continued.

“But finally, the world is watching,” he said

“We have no choice but to stand on prayer and peace and unity, because
in our circle there’s no ending and beginning.  We are all equal.”