[News] The Big Difference at Standing Rock Is Native Leadership All Around

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 13 12:16:42 EDT 2016

http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/the-big-difference-at-standing-rock-native-leadership-all-around-20160911

  The Big Difference at Standing Rock Is Native Leadership All Around

Sarah van Gelder  Sep 11, 2016

This year’s massive buildup of resistance to the Dakota Access pipeline
follows closely on the heels of the victory over Keystone XL pipeline,
something often credited to feverish organizing by 350.org. But years
before 350’s involvement, there was the Indigenous Environmental
Network, which launched that movement and its “Keep It In the Ground”
messaging. This time, with nearly 200 tribes unified behind the Standing
Rock tribe’s opposition to the pipeline and more than 3,000 people
gathered at the Standing Rock Sioux reservation, Native Americans are
clearly leading the movement.

The encampment at Standing Rock are filled with prayers and ceremonies,
and the spiritual core to this movement gives it resilience and power.
The courage and clarity of the stand to protect our water is attracting
support across the nation and around the world.

I came to Standing Rock to cover the arrival of Northwest tribal canoes
<http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/in-photos-northwest-canoe-tribes-arrive-at-historic-gathering-at-standing-rock-20160909>
and stayed for the rulings Friday
<http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/at-standing-rock-a-shocking-day-after-so-much-waiting-20160910>
on whether construction of the pipeline can continue. I spoke to Dallas
Goldtooth, a veteran of the Keystone XL movement, on a hill overlooking
the camp. Goldtooth (Mdewakanton Dakota and Dińe) is the Keep It In The
Ground campaign organizer for the Indigenous Environmental Network.

*Sarah van Gelder:* What's going to happen following these rulings?

*Dallas Goldtooth:* We can only focus on this cherished moment that we
have with each other. And the organizing continues. One thing that the
uncertainty provides is this constant drive to see what else can we do
to change the social dial toward our direction and change the
conversation. I think slowly it's happening, it's coming. Standing Rock
has now entered into the national narrative in some ways, in some
places, so how can we further that?

*van Gelder:* I just asked a woman from the Oglala Nation if she'd ever
seen anything like this. She said not since 1973 at Wounded Knee. Tell
me how you see this in a historic context.

*Goldtooth:* I've talked to folks who were there, who are in this camp.
At its very most there were about 200 people at Wounded Knee at its
peak, and a lot of those were people who came in for the weekend and
left. At its peak in this camp, we reached up to 3,500 people. People
that traveled across the country. They carpooled, hitchiked. They
organized caravans and buses. It’s magnificent to see that. It makes me
think how different it would have been if we had had Facebook in 1973.

This is a special moment in the climate justice movement. We’ve had
significant wins: Keystone XL. The Cherry Point coal terminal, another
win in support of treaty rights. I’m looking forward to what happens
next. There are people very committed—through nonviolent direct action,
through legal strategies, through social movement strategies—to make
sure we see a win in this case, too.

*van Gelder:* This is a pretty big moment for treaty rights and for
indigenous folks standing together.

*Goldtooth:* It is. I don’t think there has ever been as large a
mobilization and a unified, unilateral Indian Country support like this.
We’ve had chairmen, traditional chiefs, chairwomen, the leaders of the
leaders of Indian Country, who have come to this camp. Also, we’ve had a
lot of non-Native allies that are 100 percent supportive of the fight
and struggle here because they see the connections. This fight right
now, it’s about the water. And because the messaging is that water is
life, so many people can connect with that. Whether you’re native or
non-Native, whether you’re from Chicago or Detroit or New Orleans or up
in the Bakken, we all understand the importance of protecting the water.
That brings us together.

Indigenous Environmental Network, our organization, has been fighting
Dakota Access for about two years, when they first applied for the state
permits. In South Dakota, we were intervening in the Keystone XL stuff,
and we saw Dakota Access come up. So we intervened on behalf of Standing
Rock at the time. And even back then we had the Tribal Historic
Preservation Office testify saying the court is not consulting with us:
“We have not been consulted. There are sacred sites out there that they
missed.” And that was two years ago. And look where we’re at now.

*van Gelder:* How many different tribal governments have come here to
take an official stand?

*Goldtooth:* One hundred eighty-nine have had resolutions or statements
of solidarity with Standing Rock. That’s amazing, historic. The crazy
part is a lot of tribes that are heavily dependent on resource
extraction have also come out in support. Three Affiliated Tribes—30
percent of the Bakken oil shale is under their lands and they
participate in. The Navajo Nation, who is heavily dependent on coal. The
Crow Nation, which is all coal. All sent statements of solidarity and
actually brought their presidents to this camp. It’s fascinating. It
opens up a door for so more organizing to say, “Hey, you’re standing in
solidarity with Standing Rock on this issue, can you stand in solidarity
to keep fossil fuels in the ground, because that’s what really promotes
projects like this.”

*van Gelder:* These issues around the destruction of the planet and the
climate crisis affect everybody, and yet it's Native people who have
really been at the forefront of getting stuff done.

How do you think about that?

*Goldtooth:* The “Keep It in the Ground” narrative is nothing new for
indigenous peoples. The language “keep it in the ground” we first
encountered over 15 years ago from relatives in the Global South—in
Central and South America—and relatives up in northern Alberta in
Canada, who were saying: The only solution forward is to keep it in the
ground; regulation is not going to work; a more sustainable method of
extraction is not going to work. We indigenous people have been saying
keep fossil fuels in the ground from the get-go. Although it has been
frustrating to see the climate movement overall be slow to adopt that,
it’s also amazing and welcome now.

It is indigenous people who are often – though not all the time –on the
frontlines of climate change. It is oftentimes indigenous people, poor
people, forest-dependent nations, water-dependent nations—they’re the
first ones to feel the rapid sea-level rise. Those communities, those
nations are still dependent on subsistence lifestyles; they’re living
off the land. Our relatives in the Arctic are feeling it, their entire
livelihoods. Even if they wanted to have absolutely traditional food
diets, they can no longer do that because the animals’ life patterns are
completely altered.

So we at the Indigenous Environmental Network stand in strong defense
and support of those communities’ rights to self-determine what happens
to the lands, water, to the world around them. And not only are the
frontlines the source of the fight, but that’s where the solutions are
going to come from.

*van Gelder:* Say more about those solutions?

*Goldtooth:* The best part of the work we do is that it’s not what we’re
fighting against but what we’re fighting for. We advocate for localized,
small-scale renewable energy production. The same with food production,
localized and sustainable. That’s the path forward that we have to take.
The process to achieve that is all housed under the concepts of a just
transition: We have to be mindful that even if we transition to 100
percent renewables, it doesn’t necessarily mean that society is just, it
doesn’t necessarily guarantee that poor communities will have access to
basic needs. When we talk about this transition, we have to make sure
it’s in line with the principles of social justice and environmental
justice.

*van Gelder:* It’s seems that there’s a values shift that may be
happening, that indigenous folks are modeling, that there’s something
more important than industrial production.

*Goldtooth:* There is some truth to the fact that indigenous communities
in their traditional formats are often good models. When they’re in line
with their original instructions, they’re often good examples of what
healthy sustainable stewardship looks like, of what healthy
relationships look like. We have to really encourage our allies,
ourselves, to renew that relationship, to relearn how we enjoy and
experience and communicate with the world around us and each other.