[News] Haiti’s Election Verification Commission: a step in the right direction

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 12 11:47:47 EDT 2016

This report by Haiti Action Committee member Marilyn Langlois was
published May 9th on Transcend Media Service
https://www.transcend.org/tms/2016/05/haitis-election-verification-commission-a-step-in-the-right-direction/

*Haiti’s Election Verification Commission: a step in the right direction*

**

On a visit to Haiti in late April with Task Force on the Americas, a
California-based organization in solidarity with the social justice
movements of Latin America and the Caribbean, we witnessed another
example of Haitians resisting US attempts to facilitate continued
looting of the country’s resources and sabotage its democracy.

Democracy has been sorely missing in the island nation ever since the
2004 coup d’etat backed by the US, France and Canada, which ushered in a
2-year reign of terror, followed by the unjust exclusion of Haiti’s
largest and most popular political party, Fanmi Lavalas, from
participating in any elections until August and October, 2015.The most
recent president, Michel Martelly, had been pushed fraudulently to the
forefront of sham elections in 2011 by then-US Secretary of State Hilary
Clinton.Haitians we met with did not appreciate this interference, as he
stole public funds, privatized valuable natural resources, and
instituted a paramilitary security force reminiscent of the notorious
Duvalier era.

The October 25, 2015 first-round presidential election was riddled with
massive irregularities, voter intimidation, ballot-box stuffing and
tampering with tally sheets, as has been widely reported and
documented.People we met with from different sectors, including two of
the presidential candidates, affirmed the nature and extent of the
electoral fraud. Yet the US has pushed for a quick run-off between the
ostensible top two vote-getters, which Haitians have successfully
resisted with persistent, large scale street demonstrations.

Physical structures can symbolize power or lack thereof.The Haitian
National Palace, seat of government and source of national pride for 200
years, was severely damaged in the 2010 earthquake and has since been
leveled.All we could see was a tall fence surrounding the now-empty
site.On the other hand, shortly after the 2004 coup, the US Embassy was
relocated from a modest downtown Port-au-Prince building to a newly
constructed gigantic, fortress-like compound outside of town, surrounded
on all sides by United Nations “MINUSTAH” military bases.

Our group, consisting of seven US citizens and one Canadian, met with
Michael Gayle, Deputy Political Counselor in the US Embassy, to discuss
the electoral crisis.As we underwent rigorous security protocols upon
entering the compound—passport check, metal detectors, handbag search,
no cameras or cell phones allowed, no wandering around on your own, no
going to the restroom unaccompanied—I kept wondering, what is it they’re
afraid of?

Our conversation with Mr. Gayle, while cordial and friendly on the
surface, revealed the condescending and colonialist nature of the US
government’s attitude towards Haiti.His claim that Haitians have a poor
history of participation in elections was refuted by one of our
delegation members who had observed the 1995 and 2000 presidential
elections in Haiti, both of which had gone smoothly with strong voter
turnout and no major problems reported.He further suggested that “both
sides” were to blame for cancellation of local and parliamentary
elections between 2011 and 2015, and that there was cheating on “both
sides” during the 2015 elections, when in fact outgoing president
Martelly and his party were clearly responsible in both cases, with help
from well-paid foreign political operatives.

Mr. Gayle stressed the urgency of having a stable elected government in
order to reassure outside investors (no mention of reassuring the
citizens that their votes were counted!).When asked why the US isn’t
more concerned with the integrity of the elections than a delay in
seating the government, he paused and then denied electoral fraud was
widespread or affected the ultimate outcome.His concluding remark, “When
capabilities are so low and challenges are so great, where do you draw
the line about how flawless the process has to be?” was indicative of
the self-serving US policy of dismissing Haitian people’s intelligence,
skills and aspirations.

After the US Embassy visit, our next appointment with one of the 2015
presidential candidates offered a refreshing contrast.At the office of
Dr. Maryse Narcisse of the Fanmi Lavalas party, we were warmly welcomed
in an open air and relaxed atmosphere, where supporters from various
communities were engaged in lively discussions.Dr. Narcisse told us how
all of the candidates and parties except a few associated with Martelly
had come to consensus on heeding the people’s demands and proposing a
framework for a verification commission to do an in-depth and
transparent evaluation of the 2015 elections.She said her party is not
afraid of the results because people were fed up with the 2010-11
elections and insist on free and fair elections this time. She pointed
out that while the current Provisional President has little power, he
can appoint the verification commission and take steps quickly to assure
a fairly and justly elected government is in place, which could then
tackle the broader social and economic issues the country faces.

As a US-based delegation, our message to Mr. Gayle of the US Embassy in
person and to the US State Department in a press conference we held in
Port-au-Prince was to stop pressuring Haitians to accept a seriously
flawed electoral process and respect Haiti’s sovereignty in rectifying
the situation.

The day after we left Haiti, on April 28, we were pleased to learn that
Provisional President Privert did in fact convene the election
verification commission as proposed by the group of parties and
candidates, giving it 30 days to complete its investigation.Haitians
will be watchdogging the process intently.

--Marilyn Langlois

Haiti Action Committee, www.haitisolidarity.net
<http://www.haitisolidarity.net/>