[News] First Latina Superhero to Fight Puerto Rico Crisis, Colonialism

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 16 10:58:47 EDT 2016

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/First-Latina-Superhero-to-Fight-Puerto-Rico-Crisis-Colonialism-20160615-0023.html

  First Latina Superhero to Fight Puerto Rico Crisis, Colonialism

A Puerto Rican artist has created “La Borinqueña,” the first Latina
superhero, to bring hope to the Latino community and spark a larger
conversation on the future of developed countries
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/US-House-Set-to-Vote-on-Colonial-Puerto-Rico-Debt-Crisis-Bill-20160609-0010.html>.

Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez unveiled the unconventional and original
superhero during the Puerto Rican Day Parade in New York City on Sunday.
Although the comic is written in English, it contains some phrases in
Spanish.

The NY-based activist worked with artists in Marvel and DC Comics to
create a character who would raise awareness on the economic and
environmental situations
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Debt-Crisis-Leaves-Puerto-Rico-Without-Air-Ambulance-Service-20160608-0010.html>
affecting Puerto Rico.

“My activism was always a fire, but given everything that's going on in
Puerto Rico it started to burn even brighter,“ Miranda-Rodriguez told
teleSUR. “I felt there was something more important that needed to be
done.”

Miranda-Rodriguez says has worked for years on issues including freeing
political prisoners such as Oscar Lopez Rivera
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/OLRivera-20160614-0026.html> and
opposing foreign interventions through the U.S. military base in Puerto
Rican island of Vieques.

By day, the superhero is Marisol Rios De La Luz, a Puerto Rican woman
living in Brooklyn, New York, who goes back to the island and discovers
her superpowers. She also has Afro-Puerto Rican heritage, according to
the artist.

For Miranda-Rodriguez, who says she was inspired by powerful women
activists in the United States
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Puerto-Rico-Archbishop-Calls-for-End-to-Colonial-Status-20160608-0029.html>,
"La Boriqueña" has more than just powers—she embraces values, like
selflessness, dedication to family, and patience.

“I think those values are what makes us separate from other cultures,
and that those are our powers,“ Miranda-Rodriguez said. “And we do have
a superpower, we can vote in this general election coming up
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Clinton-Wins-Puerto-Rico-Primary-Moves-Closer-to-Nomination-20160605-0008.html>,
and we can vote people out just as well.”

One of the main issues Miranda-Rodriguez wants to bring into the
spotlight is the voting power of the more than 5 million Puerto Ricans
who live in the United States. Since those living on the island cannot
vote
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Sanders-Camp-Dont-Blame-Us-for-Shoddy-Puerto-Rico-Primary-20160606-0011.html>,
mainland Puerto Ricans can decide the future of the country.

“It’s like being invited to design a menu for a banquet, and you're at
the table, finally at that banquet, and you're not allowed to actually
eat anything,” Miranda-Rodriguez said.

Miranda-Rodriguez believes the comic book will inspire young Puerto
Ricans to know more about their history, and think for themselves about
what is the best status
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/US-Supreme-Court-Wont-Let-Puerto-Rico-Restructure-70B-Debt-20160613-0024.html>
for the island.

“When you understand what's going on from a real human perspective, then
you begin to understand what is so important about social justice,” said
Miranda-Rodriguez.

The artist says that "La Borinqueña" is a metaphor for everyone in Latin
America—a hero who represents the island but stands for universal values.

“I’m not going to say that this superhero is going to resolve the debt
crisis or save the world. But I am going to say that she can stand as a
symbol for hope, for unity,“ said Miranda-Rodriguez.