[News] Patrice Lumumba and the Birth of the Republic of Congo

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 21 11:16:19 EST 2016

January 21, 2016

  A Revolutionary Speech: Patrice Lumumba and the Birth of the Republic
  of Congo
  <http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/21/a-revolutionary-speech-patrice-lumumba-and-the-birth-of-the-republic-of-congo/>

by Ludo de Witte <http://www.counterpunch.org/author/ludodew3393/>

*http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/01/21/a-revolutionary-speech-patrice-lumumba-and-the-birth-of-the-republic-of-congo/*

/Patrice Lumumba, the Congolese independence leader and
first democratically elected Prime Minister, was executed 55 years ago
on 17th January, 1961. He had been beated and tortured in a culmination
of two assassination plots by the Belgian government and the CIA,
ordered directly by President Dwight Eisenhower to ‘eliminate’ the
charismatic leader, with the cooperation of British intelligence and
Katangan authorities. /

/Just months before his deposition in a coup, Lumumba had delivered a
powerful speech declaring the independence of the Republic of Congo and
speaking eloquently about the struggle against racism and colonization,
“an indispensable struggle to put an end to the humiliating
slavery which was imposed on us by force.”

/

/He added:/

    /“Our wounds are too fresh and too smarting for us to be able to
    have known ironies, insults, and blows which we had to undergo
    morning, noon and night because we were Negroes. We have seen our
    lands spoiled in the name of laws which only recognised the right of
    the strongest. We have known laws which differed according
    to whether it dealt with a black man or a white./

    /“We have known the atrocious sufferings of those who
    were imprisoned for their political opinions or religious beliefs
    and of those exiled in their own country. Their fate was worse than
    death itself. Who will forget the rifle-fire from which so many
    of our brothers perished, or the gaols in to which were brutally
    thrown those who did not want to submit to a regime of justice,
    oppression and exploitation which were the means the
    colonialists employed to dominate us?”/

/The written text of this speech, delivered on 30th June 1960 in the
presence of the Belgian King Baudouin, has been held in the archives of
the Société Générale de Belgique. Ludo de Witte, author of The
Assassination of Lumumba
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859844103/counterpunchmaga>,
returns to the events of the day in an article originally published in
French in *Le Vif/L’Express.* /

Few speeches have marked our history as much as that given by the
Congolese Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba on 30 June 1960, the day
that Congo achieved its independence. This speech could be considered
the birth certificate of modern Congo, a country that was then emerging
from eighty years of colonialism and which looked with confidence to its
future. In Africa this speech is considered one of the key moments in
propelling the continent onto the international stage. In the West, many
have seen it as a call to arms opening up Belgian-Congolese hostilities,
plunging this former Belgian colony into chaos. A chaos marked by the
fall of the Lumumba government in 1960 and, the following year, by the
assassination of the man considered in Congo to be the country’s
first ‘national hero’.

Today, fifty-five years after independence, the paper copy of the text
read by Lumumba has resurfaced for the first time. This is
the definitive version of his speech. These are the pages that
the Congolese prime minister brought with him to the podium. This text
was written and typed out the previous night, and corrected by hand just
before and even during the ceremony. We can consider it the country’s
founding document. It was found in the archives of Finoutremer, the
former Compagnie du Katanga, which was previously one of the jewels of
the Société Générale de Belgique. So for more than half a century the
Congolese were deprived of a document that is essential to
their country’s history.

*Baudouin warns his government*

Léopoldville (today’s Kinshasa), 30 June 1960s. Distinguished guests
crowd into the Palais de la Nation, where Congo’s independence is due
to be officially celebrated. The impressive building on the bank of the
River Congo was built under the governor general Pétillon. It was first
conceived as a residence for members of the royal family travelling to
Africa and, in part, as a residence for the governor general. In the new
Congo, the parliament would meet there. As if nothing should
change after power was handed to the Congolese, the guests were welcomed
by a bronze statue of Léopold II – founder of the independent Congolese
state – on horseback. Among those in the auditorium: newly elected
Congolese politicians, Belgian officials, the international diplomatic
corps, and the national and foreign press.

The rather nervous Belgian élite was asking itself questions. Against
all expectations the nationalist Patrice Lumumba had managed to form
a government. Could Belgium hold onto its interests in its ex-colony?
For months, under pressure from his father Léopold III’s entourage, the
young king Baudouin warned his government that Belgium’s ‘imperishable
rights’ in Congo had to be preserved.

Gaston Eysken’s government placed all its hopes in the Congolese army.
This ‘new’ army, led by Belgian officers, had to ‘contain’ the
Lumumba government. This was a risky ‘Congolese gamble’. Baudouin wanted
to make the Congolese prime minister understand that Congolese
sovereignty had its limits. For the Africans, the king’s speech of 30
June bordered on provocation.

*Léopold II, the ‘liberator’*

There had been intensive work on this speech at the Palais de Laeken. In
one draft, Léopold II was described as the ‘liberator’ of Congo, a state
‘formed by freely concluded treaties between its leaders and the king’s
asslumumba
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859844103/counterpunchmaga>envoys’.
Prime minister Eyskens, who checked the text, considered that
this passage went too far. He wanted completely to get rid of this
reference to Léopold II. Ultimately he was contented by the term
‘liberator’ being replaced with the word ‘civiliser’. The sentence
according to which the Congolese leaders had offered the country to
Léopold II of their own volition was removed. All in all, the draft text
focused on its message of saying in veiled but unequivocal terms what
path the Palace wanted Congo to take: a neo-colonial régime guaranteeing
Brussels’ interests, with black dignitaries as mere sub-contractors.

The speech by the Congolese president Kasa Vubu, which had previously
been transmitted to Brussels, and which was meant to follow Baudouin’s
speech, was so ‘flat’ and ‘academic’ that in a certain sense
it confirmed or even reinforced the King’s arguments. The ceremony
seemed to augur well for the Belgian élite.

*The King’s speech*

It began in line with the wishes of the former colonial régime. King
Baudouin invited those in attendance to celebrate colonisation more
than he did independence. The sovereign gave the impression that he was
speaking in the name of his great-uncle, founder of the Congo Free
State: ‘Congo’s independence marks the outcome of the work conceived by
the genius of King Léopold II, which he undertook with tenacious courage
and which Belgium has continued with perseverance. … In this historic
moment, our thoughts must turn to the pioneers of African emancipation
and to those after them who made Congo what it is today. They deserve
both our admiration and your recognition, because it was they who,
devoting all their efforts and even their lives to a great
ideal, brought you peace and enriched your moral and
material inheritance’. In this story crowned with success, there was no
place for the Congolese people. After this, he again invoked the memory
of Léopold II, in the following terms: ‘He appeared before you not as a
conqueror but as a civiliser’. After a summary of the advantages that
colonisation had brought to Congo: infrastructure, medical care,
teaching, industry – followed a series of paternalistic remarks. The
king warned the Congolese over their lack of political experience, the
danger of tribal conflicts and ‘the attraction that foreign powers could
exercise over certain regions’. After an homage to the colonial army
‘which accomplished its burdensome mission with unfailing courage
and devotion’, came a last piece of advice: ‘Do not compromise the
future with hasty reforms and do not replace the structures that Belgium
has left you until you are certain that you can do better … Do not be
afraid of turning to us for help. We are ready to stand by your side,
offering you advice and working with you to train the technicians and
functionaries that you will need’. After Baudouin, Kasa Vubu read out
his speech, and his words were quickly forgotten.

Baudouin’s idyllic portrayal of the colonial period clashed with the
memory of the colonised: the millions of dead, as a result of
the privations, forced labour, disease and repression under Léopold II’s
rule; the brutal crushing of the revolts of the 1920s and 1930s; the
terrible ‘war effort’ during the Second World War; the corporal
punishment with the chicotte whip; the apartheid… But what did that
matter to Brussels? An unwritten law forbade any discussion of colonial
abuses, and independence was not meant to change that. Such were the
Belgian élite’s hopes.

Nonetheless, Lumumba had found out about Baudouin and Kasa Vubu’s
speeches in advance. And although the protocol did not plan for
any third speech, Congo made its voice heard ‘in the name of a century
of silence’, to use a phrase from Jean Jaurès.

*Belgian-Congolese tensions*

There were also other reasons why the Congolese prime minister wanted to
have his say. Just before independence Brussels and colonial milieus had
held a knife to the Lumumba government’s throat. The Belgian
government unilaterally changed the legal status of colonial companies
to Belgian ones, thus depriving Congo of its shares in the mining
businesses. An attempt at secession in Katanga was foiled, but the
secessionist lobby went unpunished.

A further incident: Lumumba wanted an amnesty measure upon independence,
but the governor general Cornelis was opposed to this. Cornelis proposed
that King Baudouin take this measure upon the day of his arrival
in Congo on 29 June. Lumumba gave his assent, but that evening the
King flatly refused to make the amnesty. The following morning the
Congolese prime minister handed over the typescript of his speech to his
ministers, to be amended in the hours that followed. Lumumba confided to
one of his entourage, Pierre Duvivier, that he was weary ‘of being
treated like a little kid’. Tired and threatened, the prime minister was
firm in his conviction: his speech would galvanise the Congolese masses.

*Lumumba’s unforeseen speech*

After the speech by President Kasa Vubu, the President of the Chamber,
Kasongo, gave the word to Lumumba. This sparked the consternation
of Baudouin and Eyskens. Indeed, the information service had neglected
to hand them a copy of the text, though this had been provided in
advance. The content of the speech gave them an even greater surprise.
In his introduction the prime minister addressed his remarks not to the
country’s former ‘masters’ but ‘to the men and women of
Congo, combatants who are now victorious in their fight for
independence’. In the typewritten text this address was preceded by
‘Sir, Excellences, Mesdames and Messieurs’, but he did not
pronounce these words, choosing to address himself directly to his
people. Suddenly the eminent foreign guests became the spectators to a
celebration of the nationalist movement and its first successes.

Was the colony Léopold II’s masterpiece? Lumumba gave the word to
History itself: colonialism was ‘the humiliating slavery imposed on us
by force … Our wounds are still too fresh and too painful for us to be
able to chase them out of our memory’. He bitingly recalled ‘the
mockery, the insults, the blows we suffered morning, noon and night,
because we were negroes. Who will forget that blacks were called “tu”
not out of friendship, but because the respectful “vous” was reserved to
whites only? We have seen our lands spoiled in the name of supposedly
legal texts that recognised only the law of the strongest. We have seen
the law being different for whites and for blacks: accommodating for
the former, cruel and inhuman for the latter’.

The system was based on repression: ‘We have seen the
atrocious suffering of those subjected to confinement on account of
their political opinions or religious beliefs – exiled in their own
country, theirs was a fate worse than death itself … Who can forget the
shootings in which so many of our brothers perished, or the dungeons
that so many were brutally thrown into because they no longer wanted to
submit to a regime where oppression and exploitation were called “justice”?’

*Not a generous gift*

The Congolese Prime Minister explained that independence was not a
generous gift offered by the Belgian state, as the king had tried to
present it: ‘No Congolese worthy of the name will every be able to
forget that [independence] was won in struggle … we could not be more
proud of this struggle in blood, fire and tears, since it was a just and
noble one’. Brussels’ role in the decolonisation process was reduced to
its proper proportions, ‘Belgium, finally understanding the direction of
History, did not try and stand in the way of our independence’.

Lumumba then turned to the future ‘We will begin a new struggle, a
sublime struggle that will lead our country to peace, prosperity
and greatness. … We will show the world what the black man can do when
he is working in freedom, and we will put Congo at the centre of the
prestige that will shine forth from Africa as whole’. He then solemnly
declared, ‘We will make sure that our homeland’s earth truly benefits
its children. We will review all the laws established in other times,
and make new, just and noble ones’. These promises to the Congolese
people, dispossessed of millions of hectares of land during the colonial
period, showed his intention to liberate his homeland from the yoke of
the colonial inheritance, and to fight any new attempt at a
neo-colonial recuperation of his country. Congo and Belgium would deal
as equals, and their cooperation would be ‘profitable to both
countries’. Foreigners’ assets in Congo had to be respected. But Congo
would remain vigilant. This also meant an end to trade monopolies: Congo
would accept the help ‘of numerous foreign countries’ such that their
cooperation would be ‘loyal’ and ‘not seek to impose any sort of policy
upon us’. Lumumba finished with a message for Africa: ‘Congo has to
become a springboard for the liberation of the whole African
continent’. A warning addressed to other colonial powers and the South
African apartheid regime.

*Contradictory reactions*

Lumumba’s speech was interrupted eight times by the prolonged applause
of the Congolese in attendance. His speech concluded with an ovation. He
was heard on the radio by thousands of Congolese, many of whom had
not imagined it possible to speak to whites in this manner.
These minutes of truth were cherished and savoured after eighty years of
colonialism. For the first time in the country’s history, a Congolese
man addressed the nation and the world. He had restored confidence to
his people, taking his place among the legendary leaders of Africa. His
violent death seven months later did nothing to damage this supernatural
status – quite the contrary. Decades later researchers in the Sankuru
region report continual evocations of Lumumba, patiently awaiting his
reincarnation.

For his part, king Baudouin was stupefied. He wanted to leave the
country immediately, but Prime Minister Eyskens convinced him to
stay. Lumumba was prepared to give a ‘reconciliatory’ speech in a closed
circle during the dinner that followed the ceremony. Eyskens himself
wrote this speech, later declaring ‘I was Lumumba’s nigger!’ The Western
media lashed out at Lumumba. Time spoke of a ‘venomous attack’.
Monsignor Van Waeyenberg, rector of the University of Louvain, asked
if Lumumba ought to be thrown in prison. Conversely, Belgian official
circles tried to play down the significance of the incident, as La Libre
Belgique noted.

The British ambassador to Congo aptly explained how this affair was
received in political and diplomatic circles: ‘Lumumba’s brutal speech
… was perceived as a means of letting off steam and positioning himself
as a candidate for an eminent position on the Pan-African stage’.
Discontent was expressed at the 4 July cabinet council meeting in
Brussels, but the atmosphere was mainly optimistic.

Colonel Frédéric Vandewalle, head of the colonial security forces, was
among those in attendance at the Palais de la Nation. The officer who
would in subsequent years play a major role in the liquidation of
Congolese nationalism later revealed, ‘For many Congolese this display
of defiance, which was incongruous and offensive to the Belgians,
provided retribution. It enjoyed great success among those attending the
ceremony without having been invited. Their applause was echoed by
the crowds outside’.

*Making independence palpable*

Vandewalle understood that the Congolese people wanted the authorities
to make independence palpable by creating jobs, providing
adult education and raising salaries. ‘The more attentive observer noted
that during the military parade [after the ceremony at the Palais de la
Nation] the African crowd gave most applause to the blacks carrying the
adjutants’ silver star. This opened the first breach in Congo’s
military’s traditional barrier to any Africanisation of the cadres,
which most Congolese wanted but which made little sense according to
Belgian criteria’. Before independence, the nationalist leaders had long
insisted that the colonial power ought to embark upon the Africanisation
of the army. The mass pressure for this only increased on the eve of
independence.

The typescript of Lumumba’s speech bears witness to the importance of
this question. Here we can read an appeal to the Congolese: ‘I ask all
of you not to demand unreasonable wage rises from one day to the
next, before I have had time to set in motion the overall plan by which
I will assure the nation’s prosperity’. On the document itself we see
that this sentence was crossed out, and the nationalist leader did not
ultimately pronounce these words. Lumumba was still revising his
text even during the king’s speech, which suggests that he waited until
the last moment before getting rid of this line. The king’s speech
required an unequivocal reply, wholly opposed to
Baudouin’s paternalistic approach.

*Meeting words with action*

A few days after the ceremony the official guests left Congo. On a sign
in the military encampment in the capital the Congolese army
leader General Emile Janssens wrote ‘Before independence =
after independence’.

Ignoring the Lumumba government, he told the soldiers that they should
not expect promotions. A military revolt broke out. Lumumba
rapidly re-imposed control, thanks to the Africanisation of the officer
corps. Janssens was dismissed. The prime minister thus met the words of
the 30 June speech with action. With the demise of the white officer
corps, Brussels lost the instrument through which it intended to hold on
to control of the Congolese government. We know what happened next:
Belgian troops intervened under the pretext of wanting to protect the
whites in the Congo – soldiers had raped white women during the military
revolt, though this had now been stopped. The Belgian forces separated
the wealthy Katanga from the central government. Diplomats and secret
agents plotted against the Prime Minister. In January 1961, Lumumba was
assassinated, but his partisans did not abandon the struggle. In
November 1965, after the bloody repression of nationalist revolts
General Mobutu seized power, with the help of the CIA and the
encouragement of the Belgian government.

/With Nicolas Manchia./

*Ludo de Witte* is the author of /The Assassination of Lumumba
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859844103/counterpunchmaga>./