[News] Palestine - Handala

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 28 11:51:36 EDT 2016

*http://blog.freedomarchives.org/handala/*

  Handala

by the freedom Archives
1

Color Images taken in Dheisheh Refugee Camp outside Bethlehem (March
2016); Black and White Images taken from Democratic Palestine (Sept. 1987).

2

Color Images taken in Dheisheh Refugee Camp outside Bethlehem (March
2016); Black and White Images taken from Democratic Palestine (Sept. 1987).

Recently, the Freedom Archives was a part of the first US delegation to
Palestine focused on political imprisonment and designed to strengthen
the solidarity between Palestinian and US prisoners. During our ten day
trip, we were empowered and humbled by stories of the ways many
Palestinians maintain their culture and dignity while resisting the
brutality of the Zionist colonial project. One of the methods of
resistance is through revolutionary art, an example being the image of
Handala.

Handala, created by political cartoonist Naji Al Ali, is a child refugee
who always has his back turned to the audience as he watches policies
and events unfold. Handala is now an icon of Palestinian defiance and is
seen the world over as a symbol of resistance to oppression.

3

Top: The names of villages of origin are inscribed on the ceiling at the
Ibdaa Cultural Center in Dheisheh Refugee Camp (March 2016). Black and
White Image taken from Democratic Palestine (Sept. 1987).

Al Ali spent most of his childhood in refugee camps and began sketching
outside and inside of his family’s tent. He also developed his drawing
skills in prison after he was arrested by the Lebanese military
intelligence. His political cartoons are critical of the Israeli, Arab
and United States governments. Al Ali’s cartoons effectively called for
change and revolution, making him a threat to Israeli occupation.

Al Ali was assassinated on July 23^rd ,1987 by the Israeli military.

The following images weave the historical representations of Handala
with some of what we saw during our trip. Truly Palestinian resistance
is still alive!

You can learn more by visiting our collection
<http://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=24> on
Palestine.

*http://search.freedomarchives.org/search.php?view_collection=24*