[News] On Palestinian Prisoners’ Day, Anti-Prison, Labor, Academic Delegation Takes Stand against Israeli State Violence, Affirms Solidarity with Palestinian People

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sat Apr 16 13:51:31 EDT 2016

WordPress.com
samidoun posted: " Recently returned from a ten-day trip to the
Israeli-colonized Palestine, a US delegation of anti-prison, labor, and
scholar-activists has issued the following statement to mark Palestinian
Prisoners Day 2016.  The delegation included three former US-he"

    New post on *Samidoun: Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network*

<http://samidoun.net/?author=1>

    On Palestinian Prisoners’ Day, Anti-Prison, Labor, Academic
    Delegation Takes Stand against Israeli State Violence, Affirms
    Solidarity with Palestinian People
    <http://samidoun.net/2016/04/on-palestinian-prisoners-day-anti-prison-labor-academic-delegation-takes-stand-against-israeli-state-violence-affirms-solidarity-with-palestinian-people/>

by samidoun <http://samidoun.net/?author=1>

delegation-birzeit
<http://samidoun.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/delegation-birzeit.jpg>

Recently returned from a ten-day trip to the Israeli-colonized
Palestine, a US delegation of anti-prison, labor, and scholar-activists
has issued the following statement to mark Palestinian Prisoners Day
2016. The delegation included three former US-held political prisoners,
and a formerly incarcerated activist, two former Black Panther Party
members, university professors, prison abolition organizers, and trade
unionists. This was the first US delegation to Palestine to focus
specifically on political imprisonment and solidarity between
Palestinian and US prisoners.  The delegation also paid special
attention to the recent labor organizing in the West Bank and the
efforts of Palestinian scholars and activists to reclaim the history,
political identity and culture of the Palestinian people.

In recognition of International Day of Solidarity with Palestinian
Prisoners, the US Anti-Prison, Labor, and Academic Delegation is
demanding freedom for the 7,000 Palestinian political prisoners
currently held in Israeli jails and all those fighting for justice
everywhere, including political prisoners in U.S. prisons.

Reflecting information, analysis, and testimony gathered from meetings
with close to 100 Palestinian activists, advocates, organizers, and
former political prisoners from many social justice, human rights,
labor, education, and political organizations and institutions, the US
delegation’s statement concluded:

We feel an urgent sense of responsibility to pressure the United States
to stop funding Israeli crimes against humanity. We express our support
for the struggle for a free Palestine as a central struggle in the
worldwide movement against U.S. imperialism. We are committed to
employing a variety of tactics in solidarity with Palestine, including
Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, and we condemn Israeli and Zionist
attacks against advocates for justice for/in Palestine in our
communities and on our campuses. We connect prisoner and labor movements
across the borders; and apply the spirit of sumud to all our struggles
for liberation within the United States.

Photo: Delegation Images/Freedom Archives
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Pal/Images/>.  US Prisoner, Labor and
Academic Delegation with colleagues from the Institute for Women's
Studies at Birzeit University, Birzeit, Palestine, March 29, 2016

Full statement follows:

*We Stand with Palestine in the Spirit of “**/Sumud/**”*

*The U.S. Prisoner, Labor and Academic Solidarity Delegation to Palestine *

*March 24 to April 2, 2016*

At a moment of growing resistance to state violence and injustice the
world over, a delegation of nineteen anti-prison, labor and
scholar-activists from the United States traveled to Palestine in March
2016. Our delegation included former U.S.-held political prisoners and
social prisoners, former Black Panther Party members, prison
abolitionists, trade unionists and university professors. We are the
first U.S. delegation to Palestine to focus specifically on political
imprisonment and solidarity between Palestinian and U.S. prisoners. Our
delegation also focused on recent labor struggles in Palestine for bread
and dignity, and on the struggles of Palestinian intellectuals to assert
the rightful claims of Indigenous Palestinians to their land, culture
and history.

On this April 17, the International Day of Solidarity with Palestinian
Prisoners, we demand freedom for the 7,000 Palestinian political
prisoners <http://www.addameer.org/statistics> currently held in Israeli
jails and all those fighting for justice everywhere, including political
prisoners in U.S. prisons.

During our ten-day trip, we heard from diverse groups of Palestinians
who daily resist summary executions, mass imprisonment, land
confiscation, house demolitions, restrictions to water access and
restriction of movement. In the face of Israel’s system of racialized
terror, Palestinians uphold their commitment to “/sumud/.” This Arabic
word has historical ties to the Palestinian anti-colonial liberation
movement and is defined as “steadfastness,” or standing one’s ground
with dignity—a form of resistance. We saw this resistance, and were
inspired by it, over and over during our visit.

Having witnessed /sumud/ firsthand, we stand in solidarity with the
Palestinian anti-colonial struggle and with the liberation of Palestine,
including the right to return, the rights of self-determination, justice
and peace. We condemn the shocking and continuing human rights
violations carried out with impunity by Israel with the full strategic
support of the U.S. government. We stand with the growing worldwide
movement for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions
<https://bdsmovement.net/> (BDS) of Israeli settler colonialism and
apartheid. We learned from the Palestinian movement that steadfastness
is not only possible but necessary, especially under the most oppressive
conditions.

Our travels took us to lands colonized by Israel in 1948 and occupied in
1967: from Jericho and the Jordan Valley to the Naqab, Haifa, Yafa,
Jerusalem and Nablus; from Ramallah and Bethlehem to Lydd and Nazareth;
and from Dheisheh to Ayn Hawd. We met with dozens of former political
prisoners, prisoner support organizations and human rights advocates,
professors and public intellectuals, political leaders, members of
Bedouin and peasant communities threatened with displacement, women
leaders, organizers for gender and sexual justice, cultural workers, and
trade unionists struggling for dignified work conditions.

Our hosts insisted that we examine the harrowing conditions of
Palestinian life not just in the context of the Israeli military
occupation of the West Bank and Gaza since 1967, but as the consequence
of the Zionist invasion and seizure of 1948. The 1948 Nakba, or
“catastrophe,” displaced 85% of Palestinians from their lands to the
West Bank, Gaza and nearby Arab countries of Jordan, Syria and Lebanon.
Subjected to Israeli military rule from 1948 to 1966, Palestinians who
remained were internally displaced in their own country, confined to its
poorest regions, forbidden from moving freely, stripped of land rights
and subjected to a brutal system of racial apartheid.

Palestinian residents in territories colonized by Israel in 1948
continue to live with many of the same forms of state terrorism that are
commonly associated with the military occupation of the 1967 Palestinian
territories—an Orwellian system of laws and regulations including
racialized arrest, segregation, settler violence, land confiscation,
forced relocation, home demolitions and civil rights violations of all
kinds. We witnessed the wholesale project of Zionist /colonization/—the
greatest threat to the life, security and human rights of the
Palestinian people.

The aim of the Zionist project was—and remains—the creation of an
exclusively Jewish state through the violent displacement of
Palestinians and their replacement by Jewish immigrants. After 1948,
Jews who had been a numeric minority became the majority through the
calculated process of massacres, forced expulsion, Jewish immigration
from Europe and land confiscations by Zionist settlers. For these
reasons, Palestinians we spoke to insisted on framing the roots of
current-day problems in the historical context of Israel’s
settler-colonial apartheid regime.

Time and again, Palestinians made clear the distinction between Zionism
as a racist and colonial movement and Jewish people. They emphasized
that a free Palestine will be a land of religious pluralism and respect
of diverse spiritualities, according to the Palestinian National Charter
of 1969 and the 1988 Palestinian Declaration of Independence.
Palestinians also stressed that historically and contemporarily there
has not been a homogenous stand of Jews on Israel or Zionism. In fact,
the intensification of Israeli violence and racism is leading a growing
number of Holocaust survivors as well as younger Jews to invoke “never
again/for anyone/” and “not in my name” to dissociate themselves from
the Zionist state and its racist and genocidal policies.

As strongly as we were compelled to examine the shameful and brutal
history of Zionist colonialism in Palestine and the harrowing conditions
of Palestinian life, we were in turn compelled to learn about the
continuous resistance of the Palestinian people. Time and again, people
expressed their commitment to ensuring that Palestine will be free.

*Israel: A Colonial Carceral State *

Aware that Israel is the only country in the world that prosecutes
children in military courts
<http://www.dci-palestine.org/issues_military_detention>, our delegation
observed the proceedings of three Israeli military tribunals against
Palestinian youth. We witnessed a 16-year-old Palestinian boy tried as
an adult and accused of running an Israeli over in a vehicle. The boy
faced two life sentences in an Israeli adult prison, and was being tried
with evidence presented in the form of a video reenactment, constructed
from the prosecution’s theory of the act and with details likely coerced
through torture, a routine practice of Israeli military prison
administrators. More than 99 percent of all cases tried in the military
courts end in conviction. <http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=440537>

Legalized since 1987 by the Israeli Supreme Court as “moderate physical
pressure,” Israeli torture tactics can include lengthy interrogation
sessions, beatings, the tying of prisoners in “stress positions,” sleep
deprivation, and psychological abuse such as threats to harm or kill
prisoners’ family members. Former prisoners with whom we met recounted
mock execution, torture lasting up to three months, subsequent sexual
abuse, medical neglect and solitary confinement

The case of child prisoners is particularly harrowing. Human rights
lawyers with whom we spoke shared the findings of international reports
on the treatment by Israeli courts of Palestinian children, compared to
the treatment of Israeli children. Israel's racist double standard
exempts Israeli children from prosecution as adults until the age of 18,
while Palestinian children as young as 12
<http://www.addameer.org/the_prisoners/children> are tried as adults.
Often charged with stone throwing, Palestinian children are subjected to
lengthy sentences in adult prisons. Legal aid organizations Addameer and
Defense for Children International (DCI) informed us that children are
often taken from their families in the middle of the night, then
handcuffed and blindfolded during their transport to torture sites,
where they are denied legal representation or access to their parents
for months. A former political prisoner told us that his own experience
of torture behind bars was amplified when he heard, in a nearby cell,
the voice of a child crying out for his mother.

For Palestinians of any age, the price of resisting the colonial
apartheid order is often death. Between October 2015 and March 2016,
approximately 200 Palestinians, including 41 children, have been
extra-judicially murdered
<http://www.dci-palestine.org/forty_one_palestinian_children_killed_as_period_of_violence_enters_sixth_month>
at the hands of Israeli military forces. We met Palestinian parents
whose homes were demolished and who were levied heavy fines for their
children’s alleged actions. In blatant violation of international law
and human decency, the Israeli military has refused to release their
children’s bodies, which they continue to hold in a state of
suspension—literally frozen—for over 6 months.

A Palestinian adult we met in the old city of Hebron witnessed and
video-recorded, in late March, the execution
<https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-releases/2016/03/israel-suspected-extrajudicial-execution-of-palestinian-caught-on-video/>,
by an Israeli military officer, of a wounded and incapacitated youth.
This witness was subsequently harassed by settlers and investigated by
the Israeli military
<http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2016/04/btselem-cameraman-palestinian-hebron-idf-shooting-settlers.html>
while we were still in Palestine, a chilling reminder of the repeated
arrests in the United States of Ramsey Orta
<http://www.democracynow.org/2016/1/12/why_is_ramsey_orta_man_who> after
he recorded the 2014 strangulation of Eric Garner at the hands of the
police in Staten Island, New York.

Our visit to Palestine made clear that incarceration is a central
feature of the ongoing Zionist settler-colonial project. In meetings
with former prisoners and legal aid organizations including Adalah,
Addameer and the Arab Association for Human Rights, we learned that
Palestinians face one of the highest per capita incarceration rate
<https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2004/feb/15/palestinian-child-political-prisoners-detained-by-israel/>s
in the world: one in five
<http://www.addameer.org/advocacy/briefings_papers/general-briefing-palestinian-political-prisoners-israeli-prisons>
Palestinians has been imprisoned at some point in his or her life,
including 40 percent
<http://www.addameer.org/advocacy/briefings_papers/general-briefing-palestinian-political-prisoners-israeli-prisons>
of the Palestinian male population. Since 1967, Israel has imprisoned
approximately 800,000 Palestinian political prisoners
<http://www.addameer.org/advocacy/briefings_papers/general-briefing-palestinian-political-prisoners-israeli-prisons>.

As in the United States, incarceration imposes collective punishment on
communities. The families of the incarcerated in Palestine are forced to
travel long journeys of up to 15 hours to visit their loved ones. At the
prisons, visitors are routinely subjected to humiliating, full-body
searches and sexual harassment by Israeli prison guards, a humiliation
that has led some women to discontinue their visits. Once inside,
relatives are allowed only a 30- to 45-minute visit: no contact,
separated from the prisoner by Plexiglas walls.

In the face of repression, Palestinian prisoners have successfully
employed hunger strikes
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/hunger-strike> to improve prison
conditions and win the release of prisoners, including those held under
administrative detention–prisoners held without charges, trial, or
conviction.

Inspired by the Palestinian people’s respect for their political
prisoners and fallen martyrs—reflected in images on public walls, in
moments of silence, in daily conversations—our delegation is even more
committed to making known the existence of dozens of U.S. political
prisoners. Many U.S. political prisoners were given draconian sentences
for their political activism in the anti-imperialist struggles and
liberation movements of racially oppressed groups during the 1960s and
1970s. Dispensing with them as “criminals,” the U.S. government refuses
to acknowledge the political nature of their incarceration.

Our delegation builds on the long history of solidarity between
anti-colonial and anti-imperialist movements in the United States and
Palestine, expressed most recently in 2013 when thousands of prisoners
in Pelican Bay, Guantanamo and Palestine
<https://www.facebook.com/events/155689014612698/>, all on hunger strike
at the time, issued solidarity statements with one another. The presence
and the histories of two former Black Panther Party members on our
delegation served as a constant reminder of the years of solidarity
between the Black liberation movement and Palestine.

*Colonial Violence and Indigenous Resistance*

Israel, which presents itself to the world as a nation of laws, views
civil society organizers who bring attention to its crimes as a threat.
We were reminded during our visit to the offices of DCI that one of the
organization’s lead coordinators was shot and killed,
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora-barrows-friedman/human-rights-defender-among-three-palestinians-killed-live-fire-west>
execution-style, by an Israeli military sniper, as he observed a
Palestinian protest against the 2014 Israeli assault on Gaza. We
witnessed firsthand the escalating Israeli terror against the
Palestinian people when we heard on the news—and discussed with the
Boycott National Committee—the calls by Israeli Ministers for the
“civic” assassination
<http://mondoweiss.net/2016/04/palestinian-reflections-on-israels-hysterical-attack-on-bds/>
of BDS leaders. This is an escalation of state-sanctioned terror that
includes the 2014 assault on Gaza; the burning alive of Palestinian
youth Mohammad Abu Khdair at the hands of settlers; the burning alive of
the Dawabsheh family in Duma Village by settlers; and the
intensification of detentions, land confiscation, displacement and
deportations. These conditions have driven Palestinian youth to take
matters into their own hands and engage in acts of resistance, which
many call a third intifada. Reacting to this resistance, Israel has used
the uprisings as pretext for intensifying violence against Palestinian
youth.

During our visit, we heard the same message from a cross section of
organized forces: that the 1993 Oslo Accords have 1) legitimized
continued state violence and re-created a colonial structure—camouflaged
as a model of Palestinian autonomy; and 2) weakened the Palestinian
anti-colonial liberation movement. Twenty-three years after the failure
of Oslo, social, cultural and grassroots organizations, as well as
representatives of a wide array of Palestinian political parties,
including those of the mass institutions of the Palestine Liberation
Organization, emphasized the need to end political divisions in order to
rebuild the movement to free Palestine.

While we focused primarily on the experiences of those held in official
prisons, our visits to cities in lands taken by the Zionists in both
1967 and 1948 made clear that—as in the Gaza Strip, where nearly two
million people are currently held under siege—much of post-Nakba
Palestine is tantamount to an open-air prison. In cities like Jerusalem
(Al-Quds), Lydd and Hebron (Al-Khalil), Palestinians encounter
checkpoints, omnipresent surveillance, with watchtowers on virtually
every corner, a wall choking off the daily life of Palestinians, racial
apartheid and vulnerability to extrajudicial execution on a daily basis.
The old city of Al-Khalil is the epitome of an open-air prison. How else
can one describe a situation in which children must walk through barbed
wire-lined streets with soldiers training machine guns on them from
watchtowers—or in which the Indigenous residents of that city have been
forced to erect mesh screens over their marketplace to protect
themselves from the trash, urine and feces that Zionist settlers throw
at them from the windows of their stolen apartments above? We were
equally mortified to see that a section of the Israeli apartheid wall
has literally cut this historic Palestinian neighborhood in half.
Consequently, family members in Al-Khalil are now unable to see one
another without going through a military checkpoint. Severe
travel restrictions and street closures have turned the formerly vibrant
marketplace into a ghost town, as people are unable to travel to the
market or even have access to their own homes.

*Poverty, Economy and Palestinian Workers**’**Rights *

Settler colonialism in Palestine aims at the destruction of Palestinian
life through a complex colonial network that includes refugee camps, the
siege and blockade of Gaza, imprisonment and exile, and the caging of
communities on all sides by the “Israeli West Bank barrier”—more
realistically, the apartheid wall
<http://www.stopthewall.org/the-wall>—that snakes 280 miles through the
occupied West Bank and confiscates Palestinian residential and
agricultural lands in its path. This attempt at destroying the social
and economic fabric of the Indigenous population is the modus operandi
of a Zionist state whose goal is to maintain a demographic Jewish majority.

The exploitation of Palestinian labor is part and parcel of the ongoing
colonization project. Palestinian trade unionists detailed this
exploitation to our delegation historically and contemporarily. They
explained that the Histadrut—the Israeli labor federation that enjoys a
fraternal relationship with the AFL-CIO—has been an integral part of the
Zionist movement and the colonization of Palestine even before the
creation of the state of Israel. The Histadrut exploits Palestinian
workers in Israel by deducting a portion of their salaries for benefits
they never receive.

Palestinian labor leaders also shared the findings of a draft report on
the horrifying conditions of Palestinian women workers, including those
who are employed in Israeli settlements on the West Bank and are
subjected to long work hours, reduced pay, and sexual harassment at
checkpoints. None of the Palestinian workers employed by Israeli
businesses enjoy the protection of the Israeli labor federation or
Israeli labor laws. Palestinian trade unionists called on us to wage a
campaign among U.S. trade unionists to divest U.S. workers’ pension
funds from Israeli bonds.

Palestinian trade unionists also told us about the devastating
socio-economic conditions that have been steadily worsening since the
signing of the 1993 Oslo Accords. Oslo legislated and legitimized the
increasing dependency of the Palestinian colonized economy on the
Israeli colonizing power, and has threatened any potential for the
emergence of an independent Palestinian economy. The continuing blockade
of Gaza and the restrictions placed on Palestinian farmers and small
industries have strangled the Palestinian economy and led to the
degradation of living conditions, leading to alarming levels of poverty
in the 1967 occupied Palestinian areas, as well as among Palestinians in
the areas seized by Israel in 1948.

Palestinian labor organizers told us about the crisis in Palestinian
refugee camps produced by cuts in the services of the United Nations
Relief and Work Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA). Cuts in UNRWA
services in education and health, combined with institutionalized
discrimination in healthcare, education and employment, have created
shocking disparities. Life expectancy for Palestinians is, on average,
10 years lower than the Israeli rate; infant deaths are 18.8 compared to
3.7 per 1000 births; and the death of Palestinian mothers due to
complications of pregnancy or labor is 28 per 100,000 births compared to
7 for Israelis. These conditions have led to widespread strikes by
Palestinian employees who demand equitable pay scale and the restoration
of health and education services.

Palestinian trade union leaders also expressed grave concerns over the
diminishing conditions of public education in Palestinian Authority
areas. They echoed the sentiments of Palestinian teachers,
administrators and parents who protested the worsening work conditions
for Palestinian teachers
<http://mondoweiss.net/2016/03/pa-continues-crackdown-on-west-bank-teachers-strike-as-anger-with-anti-democratic-palestinian-leadership-spreads/>
and insisted on joining local and national marches for a whole month,
despite attempts by Palestinian security forces to suppress their rallies.

Trade union leaders also highlighted the apartheid conditions in Israel,
where schools are segregated
<http://www.adalah.org/uploads/oldfiles/newsletter/eng/sep05/comi2.pdf>.
The ratio of spending on education in these schools is 1:9, and
Palestinian students living in Israel are forced to learn a curriculum
that denies their own history and exalts the misleading history of the
colonizers.

We join hands with our comrades in the Palestinian labor movement and
salute the struggle of striking teachers, labor organizers and workers
demanding economic justice, independence and national self-determination
from colonial structures. We further pledge to campaign in the ranks of
U.S. labor to divest from Israeli bonds and sever ties between the
AFL-CIO and the Histadrut.

*Dispossession and Struggle for Land and Return* **

A university professor with whom we met explained how the system of
Zionist colonization is one of the most intensely territorialized
systems of spatial control the world has seen. In 1948, Israel destroyed
at least 531 Palestinian towns <http://zochrot.org/en/site/nakbaMap> and
villages, and within five years, established 370 new Jewish settlement
towns, 95% of which were built on seized Palestinian land. The state of
Israel now controls 93% of the land captured in 1948.

Today, eight million Palestinian refugees are forbidden from returning
to their homeland. Those in the West Bank are subject to the ubiquitous
system of checkpoints that severely restrict their ability to travel to
work, school, mosques and churches, and to hospitals for medical
treatment. Under the Absentee Property Law, Palestinians can lose their
rights as homeowners for any number of reasons, including renovating or
expanding their homes to accommodate a growing family. The Israeli state
rarely grants Palestinians permission to build or expand homes, forcing
them into “illegal” construction of houses, which are then subject to
demolition orders.

In the village of Ayn Hawd, near Haifa, an elder explained how Israel
confiscated the homes of the Palestinians and turned the village into a
park and an artists’ colony, replaced the mosque with a restaurant, and
protected the settlement of Zionists living in stolen Palestinian homes.
We saw how those settlers have repeatedly trashed and destroyed the old
Palestinian cemetery. There, as elsewhere, we witnessed the central role
of the Jewish National Fund (JNF) in the ongoing destruction of Palestine.

The sight of bulldozers on top of a hill signaled the looming
destruction of the village of Um El Heran in the Al-Naqab desert, a
territory colonized in 1948. Um El Heran is one of 46 “unrecognized
villages” that do not exist on Israeli official government maps and are
therefore denied electricity, water, roads, schools and all essential
services extended by the state to nearby “recognized” Israeli towns of
Jewish settlers. Throughout Palestine, we observed water tanks and solar
panels fastened to rooftops to compensate for Israeli restriction of
water and electricity, while the homes of Jewish settlers enjoy full
state-sponsored services including swimming pools.

*P**ublic Intellectuals and Anti-Colonial Cultures of Resistance*

Everywhere we went in Palestine we witnessed signs of a culture of
resistance. Youth activists in the Naqab told us about their use of
poetry to resist Zionist attempts to uproot them from their lands. In
the 1948 urban areas of Yafa, Lydd, Haifa and Nazareth we heard about
oral history projects to counter the systematic program of cultural and
historical erasure deployed by Israel through the outright destruction
of sites and signs of Palestinian life, their replacement with invented
maps and road signs, and the elimination of the word “Palestinian” from
school textbooks and curricula. We also heard from grassroots
organizations and activists about campaigns to defy Israel’s ban on the
commemoration of the Nakba, about projects, that bring Palestinian
children to the sites of their families’ destroyed villages, and about
others that use oral history to pass on the collective memories of a
people who refuse to submit to a settler-colonial project aimed at
negating their existence on their land.

We visited the Ibdaa Arts Center in the Dheisheh refugee camp and the
Popular Arts Center in El Bireh and saw, painted on interior walls,
murals that defied the Israeli occupation ban on resistance art on
public walls. Palestinian cultural figures told us that Israel continues
to shut down theater, dance and music performances that challenge its
colonial rule. We learned that, in an attempt to end the wave of
protests currently engulfing Palestine, the Israeli Prime Minister
demanded that the Palestinian Authority prohibit taxi drivers from
playing Palestinian music on their radios.

We participated in two conferences hosted by the Institute for Women’s
Studies at Birzeit University
<http://www.birzeit.edu/news/7th-annual-%E2%80%98struggles-freedom%E2%80%99-conference-puts-palestine-international-context>
and the An-Najah National University
<https://www.najah.edu/ar/community/community-news/2016/04/04/lnjh-tstdyf-wrsh-ml-b-nwn-hry-khlf-lqdbn-tjrb-tqly-wndly-mqrn-mn-flstyn-wlwlyt-lmthd-lmryky/>,
both co-sponsored with the Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas
Studies at San Francisco State University <http://amed.sfsu.edu/>. We
shared the platform with Palestinian academics who are engaged in the
daily struggles of their people and who insisted on defining the academy
as a site of struggle for the dignity of all Palestinians. We compared
our respective analysis of the United States and Israel as
settler-colonial regimes intent on destroying Indigenous life and the
Third World movements that have arisen to challenge colonialism and
imperialism.

Solidarity was forged as former political prisoners in Palestine and
former US-held political prisoners in our delegation discussed parallel
experiences. Palestinian audiences at both conferences were moved by the
messages we brought with us in a collection of letters from currently
incarcerated U.S. political prisoners—some of whom have already served
40 years and more—to their Palestinian sisters and brothers. Our
colleagues at Birzeit University’s Institute for Women’s Studies
translated the letters into Arabic. The solidarity was palpable during
the final plenary of Birzeit’s conference, when the phone rang and we
heard the voice of U.S. political prisoner Mumia Abu Jamal
<http://www.bringmumiahome.com>. Mumia was calling from State
Correctional Institution Mahanoy in Pennsylvania to express solidarity
with and love for the people of Palestine.

We learned that Palestinian universities offer free tuition to former
Palestinian prisoners and that every graduation ceremony honors
Palestinian students, faculty and staff martyred or imprisoned by Israel
during the academic year. In contrast, Israel has banned access to
education for Palestinian prisoners, even denying some the possession of
a pencil and paper.

Speaking alongside members of both campus communities who were
imprisoned by the Israeli colonial state, and witnessing how Palestinian
universities honor those who sacrificed their lives for their people
heightened our commitment to insist that our own academic institutions
resist the neoliberal university, reclaim the mission of public
education, and restore the gains for which earlier generations of
students—including the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee; Black
Student Unions; the Third World Liberation Front at San Francisco State
University; Ocean Hill-Brownsville; the Open Admission Strike of 1969 at
the City University of New York—fought. This struggle continues today on
our campuses and community spaces. We also reject Israel’s and the
Zionist movement’s attempts to employ McCarthyite tactics to intimidate,
harass and silence advocates for justice in and outside Palestine, and
activists and scholars who stand for justice on university campuses,
public schools and in public life the world over.

*Conclusion*

We were asked repeatedly to bring these Palestinian stories of
dispossession and steadfast resistance back to the United States. Much
of what we saw in Palestine called up images of life in the United
States. Like Israel, the United States is a settler colony—built on the
genocide and denial of Indigenous peoples’ rights; the kidnapping and
enslavement of Africans; the colonization of Mexico, Puerto Rico, the
Philippines, Hawaii and Guam; the exclusion of Chinese people; the
incarceration of Japanese people in concentration camps; and the rising
vilification and criminalization of immigrants from Latin America and of
Arabs, Muslims and Mediterranean and South and Central Asian people.
Like Israel, the United States suppresses resistance using the cover of
law. The United States continues to engage in imperialist wars and
interventions in the Third World, while 2.3 million people are
incarcerated in U.S. prisons, young Black, Latina/o, and Indigenous
people are executed and targeted while educational institutions become
increasingly privatized and corporatized. The 99% are getting more
impoverished while the 1% is getting richer. Significantly, the United
States funds Israel to the tune of $4 billion annually and supports the
distorted ideology of Zionism.

We therefore feel an urgent sense of responsibility to pressure the
United States to stop funding Israeli crimes against humanity. We
express our support for the struggle for a free Palestine as a central
struggle in the worldwide movement against U.S. imperialism. We are
committed to employing a variety of tactics in solidarity with
Palestine, including Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions, and we condemn
Israeli and Zionist attacks against advocates for justice for/in
Palestine in our communities and on our campuses. We connect prisoner
and labor movements across the borders; and apply the spirit of /sumud/
to all our struggles for liberation within the United States.

  * Support Palestinian people’s just struggle for self-determination,
    return and sovereignty, and the struggle against settler colonialism
    in the United States, Israel and elsewhere
  * Release Palestinian and all political prisoners, including those in
    the United States
  * End all U.S. military and financial support of Israel
  * Support Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) of Israel
  * Reject the new Israeli and Zionist McCarthyism that seeks to
    intimidate, harass and silence advocacy for justice in Palestine

In Joint Struggle,

  * *Rabab Abdulhadi*, author and professor, San Francisco State
    University*, California
  * *Diana Block*, author and activist, California Coalition for Women
    Prisoners*, San Francisco, California
  * *Susan Chen*, counselor faculty, member California Faculty
    Association - SFSU chapter Affirmative Action Rep, San Francisco
    State University*, California
  * *Dennis Childs*, author and professor, University of California*,
    San Diego
  * *Susie Day*, writer, Monthly Review Press*, New York City, New York
  * *Emory Douglas*, Revolutionary Artist and Minister of Culture, Black
    Panther Party, 1967-1982
  * *Johanna Fernández*, author and professor, City University of New
    York-Baruch College*; Organizer, Campaign to Bring Mumia Home
  * *Diane Fujino*, author and professor, University of California*,
    Santa Barbara
  * *Alborz Ghandehari*, member of BDS Caucus of UAW 2865, University of
    California Student-Workers Union*
  * *Anna Henry*, activist and member, California Coalition for Women
    Prisoners*, San Francisco
  * *Rachel Herzing*, independent scholar and co-founder, Critical
    Resistance*, Oakland, California
  * *Hank Jones*, activist, former US-Held political prisoner and
    member, Black Panther Party, Los Angeles, California
  * *manuel la fontaine*, former US-held prisoner and member, All of Us
    or None*, San Francisco, California
  * *Claude Marks*, Former US-held political prisoner, Freedom
    Archives*, San Francisco, California
  * *Nathaniel Moore*, archivist, Freedom Archives*, San Francisco,
    California
  * *Isaac Ontiveros*, member, Critical Resistance*, Oakland, California
  * *Michael Ritter*, counselor faculty; member CSU Academic Senate
    & CFA Board of Directors, San Francisco State University*, California
  * *Jaime Veve*, Co-Convener, Labor for Palestine*, New York City, New York
  * *Laura Whitehorn*, Former US-held political prisoner, New York City,
    New York

*All institutional and organizational affiliations are for
identification purposes only

http://www.freedomarchives.org/Pal/Delegation.We.Stand.pdf

In Arabic: http://www.freedomarchives.org/Pal/Delegation.We.Stand.ARABIC.doc

In Spanish: