[News] Young Palestinians are teaching us how to resist

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 15 11:21:31 EDT 2015

  Young Palestinians are teaching us how to resist

Nadia Naser-Najjab
<https://electronicintifada.net/people/nadia-naser-najjab> 14 October 2015
*https://electronicintifada.net/content/young-palestinians-are-teaching-us-how-resist/14918*

The Palestinian generation that came of age in the first intifada
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/first-intifada> during the late
1980s has frequently decried its successors.

Many times we have accused younger generations of being apolitical and
politically uneducated. I have lost count of the number of times that I
have heard the accusation that younger Palestinians are self-absorbed;
that they do not understand the meaning of collective resistance and
sacrifice.

Upon listening to these complaints, you would be forgiven for believing
that the very idea of popular resistance did not exist until my
generation came along. But recent events in Palestine have shown us just
how wrong and unfair these criticisms were — there was nothing unique
about the generation that came of age in the first intifada.

As philosopher Frantz Fanon
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/frantz-fanon> taught, popular
struggle originates <http://www.openanthropology.org/fanonviolence.htm>
within the conditions of colonialism itself, within the various ways in
which it impinges upon, and steadily degrades, the conditions of
everyday existence.

Admittedly, some things never change. The response of the Israeli
government to recent events clearly derives from an unwavering and
unyielding colonial mindset. Thus, by virtue of the fact that the
natives cannot have political demands, the Israeli colonial
administrators have deemed the current “disturbances” to be a “law and
order” issue.

Order and tranquillity will be restored once the native population are
engaged with blunt force — this, after all, is the only language “they”
can be expected to understand. For Palestinians, these words have a
wearying familiarity — the likes of Benjamin Netanyahu
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/benjamin-netanyahu> and Moshe
Yaalon <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/moshe-yaalon-0> are part of
a colonial lineage which can be traced back to Yitzhak Rabin
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/yitzhak-rabin> and beyond.

During the first intifada, Rabin, then defense minister, called
<http://articles.latimes.com/1990-06-22/news/mn-431_1_rabin-ordered>
upon the Israeli army to “break the bones” of Palestinian protesters;
now the current administrators of colonial power effectively call for
the same.

    Challenges

But some things do undeniably change. Aside from anything else, the
challenges which confront young Palestinians are considerably more
imposing than the ones faced by my generation. During the first
intifada, our main opponent was the Israeli army.

The colonial settlement
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/israeli-settlements> of the West
Bank was still limited and the settlers’
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/israeli-settlers> involvement in
the first intifada was equally as limited. Today, many new settlements
are constructed in close proximity to Palestinian population centers.

Additionally, in the first intifada, Palestinian activists enjoyed
relative freedom of movement and were able to travel through cities,
villages and refugee camps to organize sit-ins, vigils, strikes and
seminars.

Arab and international opinion was also more supportive. Israeli
solidarity groups lent their assistance to our struggle and worked to
change public opinion in their society.

Changes in all of these respects have introduced new dimensions to the
question of Palestinian struggle.

The younger generation has found innovative ways of responding to this
changed reality. It has identified new ways of creating political and
social consciousness — “Resist to exist” was one particularly striking
slogan which I saw posted on Facebook the other day.

Images of incarceration, brutalization and dehumanization now circulate
through social models, creating new solidarities and vernaculars of
struggle. The two elements imply each other: as the political realities
adjust, so too do the forms of resistance.

However, the challenges which confront young Palestinians are more than
just geographical; they are also political. Limited Palestinian
political autonomy, along with the creation of a self-governing
political entity — the Palestinian Authority
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/palestinian-authority> — has become
one of the ways in which the occupation has strengthened and
consolidated its hold over territory and population.

Upon reading and watching interviews with younger Palestinians, I am
frequently struck by how far their political mindset diverges from that
of my own generation.

We looked to phrase our struggle within an internationally accepted
political vernacular, and to align ourselves with broader political
dynamics; we looked to the Unified National Leadership to coordinate the
day-to-day tactics and strategies of resistance during the first
intifada, and to the Palestine Liberation Organization
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/plo> as the symbolic embodiment of
the Palestinian national struggle.

In vivid and direct contrast, one member of the younger vanguard
recently informed <http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=768091> the
Ma’an News Agency that “we don’t care about leaders. We will be the
leaders,” while another interviewee abruptly referred to the Palestinian
Authority as “traitors.”

The ongoing developments within the West Bank correspond to a pronounced
crisis of Palestinian political leadership. The current antagonism
appears to be directed as much towards one of the central mechanisms of
colonial power — a discredited Palestinian political leadership that has
effectively perpetuated a subcontracting
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/mahmoud-abbas-collaboration-israeli-army-secret-police-sacred>
of the occupation — as to its originating point.

    Strategic management

In a number of key respects, any distinction between the two is, of
course, redundant. In addition to its formidable array of instruments of
coercion and force, the occupation is therefore secured by more subtle
forms of political influence which co-opt and strategically manage the
agency of local partners — the PA being a case in point.

 From this perspective, the formal peace process can be retrospectively
analyzed as a reconfiguration of relations of domination and control:
“compromise” has entrenched occupation; “self-governance” has sanctified
inefficiency and corruption; “peace” has become equated with moral and
political degradation.

All of this perhaps goes some way towards explaining why I have not
heard the younger generation issue one single appeal to the Palestinian
political leadership.

It is time for those of us who engaged in the first intifada to admit
our essential irrelevance. Not only because circumstances have changed,
but also because the strategies and approaches which we advocated have
since been so thoroughly discredited.

For all our efforts, sacrifices and limited advances, we ultimately
contributed to a political settlement which reinforced and consolidated
the conditions and relations of occupation. We lost sight of the
essential fact that, as Fanon once observed
<https://books.google.com/books?id=-XGKFJq4eccC&pg=PA92&dq#v=onepage&q&f=false>,
“colonialism never gives anything away for nothing.”

Far from teaching the new generation of Palestinians “lessons” about our
struggle, it is my generation who should be seeking to learn.

/Dr. Nadia Naser-Najjab is an associate research fellow at the European
Center of Palestine Studies-Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies at the
University of Exeter./